Notices

Xanax Addiction

Old 04-23-2003, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Xanax Addiction

My husband is an alcoholic (currently trying to quit), and a former prescription pain killer adict (16 years ago he broke his back & became addicted to the pain killers, but quit them 14 years ago). He is now on Xanax, which his general practitioner prescribed for him for generalized anxiety disorder. He has been taking xanax for about 2 years. Most of this time he was drinking heavily on weekends while taking the xanax. He recently promised to quit drinking (and is doing better, but still sneaks some occasionally). At this point I started to take notice of his xanax use. He is prescribed 2mg twice a day. During the week he is usually pretty good about taking only the prescribed amount. Some times even a little less. But on the weekends I notice that he's been taking anywhere from 6-9mg a day. When I confront him about this he swears that he doesn't get any kind of "high" from taking them, but he just feels "normal". I am very concerned about this. I'm afraid he is just trading one addiction for another. My husband and I almost got a divorce over his drinking, and he thinks that I'm looking for excuses to leave him when I confront him with the xanax. I guess I'm just looking for a little input. If he really needs the xanax, then I don't want to push the issue with him. But I can't see why he would take more than prescribed if he didn't feel some sort of high from it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

OUR2JZ, welcome to SoberRecovery.com

I am a recovering alcoholic. I have not drank in almost 2yrs. At one point in time, I took xanax and found it to be too weak and it did not do anything for me. I used xanax to control anxiety. It did not help. My MD gave me a new script for something a little stronger. My script is similar to Xanax but slightly different (they are supposed to do the same thing) control anxiety.

From my experience, I found that the alcohol caused the anxiety. I had to take a prescription to go thru 1 day's work. I was most likely suffering from withdrawels or the DT's (Delerium Tremuns) from less alcohol in the system.

I have never got a high from the script. When I was not drinking, I needed more of the script (double to triple a regular dose). Over a period of time I have reduced using this script to less then prescibed but that does make me a little edgie and nervous.

I have been trying to quit taking the script and unsuccessful so far at totally quitting.

WARNING: Xanax is a Narcotic. Xanax is a Benzodiazapine. Benzo's require you to taper off the use. If you do not taper off the script, it can cause seizures and other severe medical conditions. Please have your husband talk to a Medical Professional before making any changes to this script (dose).

P.S. Mixing this type of pill with alcohol can be very dangerous. I know this first hand. Mixing these 2 made me awfully sick. There is a great risk of passing out, blacking out, falling asleep, with the xanax and alcohol mixed.

Have a good 24 hours.

Your husband may want to visit these boards.

Feel free to visit Al-Anon or Nar-Anon (at this website) yourself. These groups or for the people who suffer from an alcoholic /addict spouce.

Keep posting, asking questions and keep coming back.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Recovering Alcoholic

xanax and alcohol together = TROUBLE

And they tell you that when you get it. I KNOW because i have been prescribed xanax for anxiety as well...I find that all it does is knock me out but when i drink it does give me a buzz. I even went as far as snorting it to increase in effect (but then again i snorted a lot of awful things). BAD STUFF. I too believe the alcohol and drugs caused my anxiety. The anxiety got so bad i would break out into hives all over my body. I have only been sober for 14 days, but am already noticing the difference.
All you can do is talk to your husband. If he doesnt want to quit, doesnt listen or just cant 'hear' you, then you have to do what's best for you. Being concerned for him is wonderful. Just make him aware of the resources around him and ask for his good will.
Drugs and alcohol kill, dont let it kill you.
God bless you and your marriage, i hope you find peace.
-Jem
Old 05-02-2003, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Exclamation Warning: Xanax/Alcohol withdrawl may be fatal

OUR2JZ,

Your husband is in a very dangerous situation for many reasons.

1)He is sneaking alcohol and lieing about his use which is a distinguished quality of an alcoholic.

2)The combination of Xanax (A Narcotic: Benzodiazepine: Controlled Substance CIV) and alcohol increases the chance of overdose without premature symptoms.

3)4mg of Xanax a day is a very high dosage, taking this dose of Xanax for two weeks simply will bring about withdrawl symptoms that may include shakiness, sweating, mild convulsions, seizure type symptoms, headache, anxiety and depression.

4)He is not lieing when he tells you that when he drinks with the Xanax he just feels "normal". This is because his body is physically dependent upon it. (I drank with a benzodiazepine for over 2 years and know the feeling)

5)Death from seizures and convulsions (DT's from alcohol) are withdrawl symptoms from benzodiazepines if not tapered VERY slowly depending on dose.

If he is taking 4mg of Xanax and has been drinking with it and taking it for 2 years, he is a high risk for these withdrawls. Check with your doctor to see how he should be tapered. It may take as long as 6 months for him to be fully tapered if he does suffer these withdrawls while tapering. The bad thing about benzodiazepines are that people think they are fine because they go 5 days without taking any and don't experience withdrawls. But benzos have a very long half-life and symptoms may not appear until 2 weeks of discontinuation. Your husband should be expected to feel differing withdrawls each time the dose is lowered. Keep him off the bottle because it will only complicate the situation. I would recommend that you guys see about a rehab program. I have had a really bad experience with benzos, it took me 3 monthes to get off the pills I was on and the withdrawls are nasty at points. He will need encouragment and probably meetings, if not inpatient progam. Good luck