Notices

Today's the Day

Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today's the Day

Hi! I just wanted to put this out there, today is the day to quit. I put the patch on this morning and I am trying to get over the mental habit of having that morning smoke. I have to remeber that it is just for today. I still cannot believe I am a smoker (ex-smoker now) it is so gross!

I will check back tomorrow~
Old 02-26-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you Lost!!! You can do this. I quit years ago on the patch, then lit up again years later...what an idiot I was! This time around I'm using Chantix....I had my last smoke Sat. night. We can do this.....it really is a gross habit and the worst thing we could be doing to our body! Hang tough!!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you Lost!! Keep up the good work!!
I've been trying to think of all the things I can do to occupy my hands and brain after I quit. I started walking again and lifting weights {I'm so sore and out of shape!} and bought a word find book.
Also, I had a friend who made everyone she knew crocheted scarfs the first month or so of her "quit" so that is an idea!
Just keep focusing on all the postives! There are so many!! :-)
Jane
Old 02-26-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrads to you.

Join us in the daily check in... it can help to keep us focused.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. It is mid-day here and I am doing great. I did have a little bigger lunch than usual but at least I didn't smoke. I will definatley use the morning check in tomorrow! Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hey, Lost!
Glad you've joined us here in the smoke free forum!

I look forward to getting to know you. Feel free to share your ups and downs and most of all, the joys of your recovery!

Shalom!
Old 02-26-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok I am having a little hard time right now. I have had to stop myself several times this afternoon from really wanting one. I've made it so far and plan on staying nicotine free. Wow this is hard.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

Deep breathing, meditation, going for a brisk walk or just doing something different. All these changes in activity will help you get past that immediate urge. Remember, even the strongest of urges last only a few minutes. Whatever you do will help you get past it.

Keep up the good work! You CAN do this!

Shalom!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 2 going strong! I really think I can do it this time! Thanks for all fo your support.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are doing awesome! You can do this! When I am having an urge I breathe through a straw and it helps! Keep up the great work!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Still going strong, but I am going to get really fat. I need to stop eating!! I am beginning to understand how hard it is for my RAH to continue his recovery.

Thanks for all of your support!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I was reading that the small weight gain from the period when you quit actually does a lot less long term damage to your health than continuing to smoke. This was in the booklet that came with my patches. I need to gain weight so it is not a problem for me, but I have read many tips on keeping that weight gain short term (such as exercising and enjoying it a bit now that you can breathe again!)

Hard candies also work to keep that oral urge to eat down, and it helps with cravings as the sucking motion is similar to smoking.

Congrats on quitting. I hope you did well today.