Notices

I woke up this morning with a hangover...

Old 02-24-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I woke up this morning with a hangover...

I woke up this morning with a hangover... and decided that I need to make a change. My wife got a little pissed at me because after drinking all of my beer last night, I had to go to the store to get more, then proceeded to stay up til 1AM drinking by myself. I don't want to be this person anymore... I want to be there for my wife and kids. So here I am... today is my first day of sobriety i guess. Gotta start somewhere right?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi schuyler83
Yep we have to start somewhere (or stop). I'm glad you found us and are ready to quit. It gets better everyday, so keep going. Read on here and post and let us know how your are coming along.
I'm on day 16. Welcome!!
tj
Old 02-24-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement
Old 02-24-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

This is a great place to start.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you begin to detox from alcohol because it can be dangerous.

I hope you keep posting.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by schuyler83 View Post
I woke up this morning with a hangover... and decided that I need to make a change. My wife got a little pissed at me because after drinking all of my beer last night, I had to go to the store to get more, then proceeded to stay up til 1AM drinking by myself. I don't want to be this person anymore... I want to be there for my wife and kids. So here I am... today is my first day of sobriety i guess. Gotta start somewhere right?
Schuyler,

Welcome!!! You remind me of me. I used to do the same thing you described above. If you really want to be a good husband and father, today is a great day to start. I hope that you will not end us like me though. Waiting until my little girls were 6 and 8 before seeking help. I inflicted a lot of pain on my wife. Blamed her for my problems, manilulated her into fighting with me so I could have an excuse to drink. I was like a tornado roaring through the lives of innocent and helpless family and friends. I thank God he had mercy on me and directed me to get help. That was over twenty years ago. My girls have grown into wonderful women, my marriage is coming up on 35 years, and I continue to feel the love of a God of my understanding. You can too. Just stick with the winners. We'll be here when you need us.

Ed
Old 02-24-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hia shuyler83, Its great that you have decided to quit drinking and I hope that achieve your goal.I have managed to stay sober for the last 55 days,somthing I never felt possible.The difference with this recovery to the previous tries is that this time I wanted to stop for me.I had tried many times before mainly to keep my family happy and intact,but each time I slipped back to the old routine.Until I finaly felt that I was beaten by alcohol,my whole life revovled around it,yes I still worked and provided for my wife and kids but not a moment went by without thinking about or drinking alcohol.Finaly trapped I knew that somthing had to change and that only I could do it.After all I was the one with the problem,yes I blamed my circumstances for my drinking but realy I drank because I had to,it was my crutch to help with life.
I dont relay my story to fill you with despair at your actions,but as I found after much heartache the only person I could ever stop for was me!.

I wish you well in your recovery.
chris
Old 02-24-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Welcome, Schuyler! Better late than never...and, sadly, some never quit...but, now that you've made the decision, time to follow through.

I can certainly empathize with the hangover...although, at the risk of sounding unsympathetic, better you than me!!! Makes you wonder why in the world we would continually inflict such pain on ourselves...not to mention our loved ones.

Remember...you're not giving up anything...and, you have so much more to gain!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I too suggest an honest talk with your doctor
to be safe during your de tox.

I use AA to stay sober and enjoy life.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 02-24-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to this great place where you can share your hopes and heartaches with us. We are here to encourage you every inch of the way, to recovery!

You can do this.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dragon76

I actually agree on the Dr. I took my little girl up to the Dr. a week ago and was feelin rough,really hurtin for a drink.So he is sittin there lookin in her ears and I just asked if there was anything I could do as far as the cravings,what I eat,vitamins etc.. He looked at me and smiled than said yup there is.He said AA is the best but take this and this.He wrote me two scripts one was Thiamine which he said Alcoholics are deficiant in and the other was a very low dose of valium.Then he said "Jon thanks to my higher power and AA along with the same scripts Ive given you Ive been sober 9 months.See me in a month and we will change the valium to a lesser drug and call me any time if you need help."I couldnt believe it!Im doin so much better and have already cut the valium in half to 1 tab before bed and wake up ready to take on the world(I was havin horrible nitemares)So hang in there and yes its worth it,that question started runnin thru my mind about day 4.Youll be in my thoughts and prayers
Old 02-24-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Then he said "Jon thanks to my higher power and AA along with the same scripts Ive given you Ive been sober 9 months.See me in a month and we will change the valium to a lesser drug and call me any time if you need help."
Wonderful...God surely does work in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform, doesn't He!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dragon76

Absolutely!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement! My wife is 8 months prego with our second child and I just feel like I haven't been there for her through this pregnancy. I could just see the disappointment in her eyes this morning when I woke up on the couch. Kinda made me think... what the hell am I doing? She is a wonderful woman and my best friend and has stuck by my side through so much. It's just truly not fair for me to thank her for all that she's done by getting plastered every night. Our marriage is not in a bad place right now, but I know this is starting to head towards that path.

I've made an appt with my doctor for Monday... He's already got me on paxil but i've been chasing them with a glass of wine or a cold beer. Stupid i know So first things first... only take meds with water. I really think i can do this sobriety thing... i'm at that point that everyone talks about, about wanting to do this not only for my family, but for me, because i do not like the person that i've become.

I just really want to thank everyone here for their kindness and support. It truly is a blessing to know that i'm not alone in the world and that there are people i can talk to and learn from.

Wish me luck
Old 02-24-2007, 03:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lurker

Welcome. I was in about the same place as you. Keep up the good work. You will be amazed as how the relationships with your famallies will change. They will love the new you. good luck!!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I've made an appt with my doctor for Monday... He's already got me on paxil but i've been chasing them with a glass of wine or a cold beer. Stupid i know So first things first... only take meds with water.
More like flirting with disaster, Schuyler! Here's where you and I differ (of course, before I decided to quit drinking)...whenever my doc prescribed anything, I would ask first if it was OK to drink, too. If he said, "No," I would either ask for another scrip, or just not take it...the drinking was much more important. I was careful, though...it was OK to be "dead drunk", but I didn't want to be a dead drunk, and I'm sure you don't either!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey schuyler you sound realy positive about quitting,thats great!perhaps you should think about getting on a programme of recovery while your on a roll.This board offers great support and if you couple it with some face to face contact it can only make your task easier.I wish your wife well in her later stages of pregnancy but schu don't dwell to long on the past,I drank many times through guilt an easy trap to fall in to.There will be plenty of times in the future were you can make ammends for the past.For the moment just stay focussed on today and the fact that your not going to take a drink.

Stay strong & true to yourself

( luck is the blue light going past you and stopping the car infront )

chris
Old 02-24-2007, 04:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Schuyler,
Sobriety is awesome. I've got two young kids that will never (I hope) see their daddy drunk. Keep plugging, try some meetings, and keep posting. It is a good way of life. Mike in Boston
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi Schuyler, you made a great start by owning up to

your problem and comming here..........Don't let that be the

end........keep reading and posting, hugs, ((((((((((((hope3))))))))))
Old 03-03-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm still here...
8 days sober so far!
Old 03-03-2007, 10:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations schuyler83!