Notices

Depression

Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

I am wondering if being depressed has something to do with 'coming off' the alcohol. My sober date is Nov 14, 2006. But, I would think by now, I would no longer be depressed. I know alcohol is a depressant, but this seems like a long time. Maybe its all the damage I have created due to my drinking as well. I dont know, just cant seem to have a good attitude. Any thoughts? I have never taken an antidepressant.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hey! Congrats on your clean time!

I wouldn't think twice if I were you of going to your DR and asking for antidepressants. They helped me a lot. Also, I'm not sure whether or not you're doing any programs. Whether or not you have problems with the "God" issues of AA or not, people there are just like you and me and have been where you and I have been. Most AA meetings are not overly religious... it's not really an issue of God, it's an issue of beginning to have faith in YOUR future.

Also, I got a lot of laughs and no longer felt alone with the problems I had with booze and with life. Give it a try?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

I would say, talk to your doctor and be honest about your level of depression. Is it everyday, all day, etc. I often felt depressed in early sobriety but it passed. It takes a little while for your mind to clear up. Meetings helped, talking to people helped, praying helped, time helped, not drinking helped tremendously, and getting exercise always helps.

Hang in there.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depression - meeting

I do go to a meeting every night