Notices

Methamphetamine:Rural America's Most Used Drug

Old 04-08-2003, 11:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Methamphetamine:Rural America's Most Used Drug

Yes, that's true. HBO tonight had a special over it and it was very startling. Something that every addict should watch, mainly those who haven't used it yet, thinking about it, or just getting into it. This s**t is scary and as the show clamied, it should be called Satan. It's the devil's drug. It is something out of a horror story, but it is reality. A 21 year old over 10 years of use, looked like a 60+ year old corpse with her face sunken in. People ripping their skin out. Living in basements. Awake for 16 days straight. People turning schizophrenia. Permanent depression, they will never be able to feel how they were supposed to or be who they wanted to be ever again...even if they quit. The sad thing is that over 10 million Americans are using now and the recovery rate for a crank addict to quit and NEVER pick up again is all of 6%. The lowest rate for any drug. So next time you are thinking of exploding a meth lab, destroying an apartment complex full of children, killing them, I think every addict should check this HBO special out. I believe that they are playing it again tomorrow and will over the week. This drug is spreading more rapidly than any drug in history and I thought that you should be aware. Meth is death
Old 04-09-2003, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know it's a dangerous drug,but the media is also a dangerous thing.They tend to present a distorted view of the facts.

Consider for example that for a 21 year old to have ten years of using she would have had to start at age 11.In rural America???

I'd much rather get my information from a source that isn't trying to boost ratings.A day at a time we do recover.

phoenix
Old 04-09-2003, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

BTW it is a 21 year old over 10 years of aging. (not since she was 11 years old, she is 31 now) Yes, of course rural America, this is the ideal place to cook it because you have to be somewhere there aren't many things around in case of meth lab explosions, more area to hide them, and you can actually buy the quantity of stuff you need for it. YOu can't go buying 100 boxes of psuedoephedrine in the suburbs can you? Maybe you should watch this one. All the stories are true, it's documented on people's lives dealing with the disease, which to me, is much more important than some police statistics. The only facts given in this show was the percentage at the end. The other hour is purely the people using. All the images are shown, granted there is possibilty that they could exagerate how often they really occur. I learned more from this than what I did during inpatient. These "facts" they give you are internet figures printed out from the internet, just about the only other info that you can get on the drug without watching people actually experience the horror. This was not glorified, I used for half a year off and on and it was painfully true. The lifestyle of a junkie tweeker.

Phoenix, you can't make assumptions without seeing it first, everything that I have learned about this drug in detox, inpatient, outpatient, inside and outside meetings was present in this show. ONly insteed of hearing the same, methamphetamine is a white oderless, blah blah blah, you get to see how deadly this drug grabs you. I know, the first use grabs you. The stastistcs in this show were true as well, I've heard them before.
Soooooo anyway

Just had to defend the show because I don't believe anybody has the right to dis something without even showing it. There were no actors in this like a movie. It was a reality television show with no bars hold. You can't downplay drug use, then some might think that it is OK, what I knew before about this drug never stopped me.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wasn't knocking the show in particular.I just don't much care for television in general,and would be more inclined to trust information from a reputable treatment center.

phoenix (recovering needle freak)
Old 04-13-2003, 12:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Justaround,

I feel very fortunate that although I have tried meth a few times in my life, it just never "grabbed" me. The same with crack cocaine. I feel like I've been through alot with my pill addiction, but when I read some of the stories from people that have been addicted to meth, it makes my addiction sound like a walk in the park.

Juls