Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

28 days ago I logged on this site for the first time, still sober 28days later

Notices

Old 12-24-2006, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello I just wanted to thank you all here, I logged onto this site for the first time 28 days ago when I realized I could not become sober or stay sober on my own. By joining this online group I was moved to attend my first in person meetings and have been going to at least one meeting a day and sometimes if I am able more.
Thankfully due to the support of the Program and many good people I have been able to stay sober for 28 days now. I am taking it one second at a time, I am attending about three different groups, AA, MA and Nicotine Anonymous because they are all my addictions that each trigger the other so I really had not choice but to stop them all (that is just my experience, of course I know this is not everyones truth and I respect everyones personal decisions) Thankfully in California all meetings are Non Smoking (indoors) so that has been a real blessing for me, It is sometimes very hard to have some people at AA meetings who know I have quit all my vices simultaneously trying to get me to think that I should continue to smoke thinking it is in my best interest, but thankfully my AA sponsor is also in the Nic-A meetings as well so that does help me tremendously. I just make it clear that nicotine for me is my major alcoholic trigger and would cause a immediate relapse for me.
I loved to smoke then Drink, drink then smoke, then smoke pot, then drink, then smoke, then take pills, then smoke, then drink, etc. Although I really hated the come down and the days that follow, as someone mentioned at a meeting, "if I could just have that first half hour when you actually feel good/high etc last!" but of course I could not as I imagine most of us could not. No matter how much I drank, snorted, popped, etc. What goes up must come down and it comes down 10 times as hard as it went up, so I just keep remembering my "last drunk" which really was only fun for the first 20 minutes and then was terrible for much much much much much longer and calling people from the meetings and that has been keeping me sober.
Thanks for listening and for all your help.

And may you all have a Merry Christmas!
And have a happy belated Hanukkah,Kwanzaa,Winter Solstice

And last but not least here is too a wonderful new year filled with much health, happiness, sobriety and time to enjoy it!
Old 12-24-2006, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

SeekSobriety - what a wonderful message!! Thank you very much. I have long suspected that nicotene and alcohol can trigger each other. I know I didn't quit the cigs until I was able to beat the booze. I know booze triggers smoking for me, it makes absolutely perfect sense that smoking could also trigger drinking.

Your voice of hope rings loud and clear - thank you!

And may this holiday continue to be a wonder and a joy.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congratulations to you
funny, i also logged on for the first time 28 days ago, and am also 28 days sober thanks in a large part to this group
mis
Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats awesome!!

Coincidently, I logged in 35 days ago and today I have 35 days!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow! 3 new winners!

Keep moving forward
the best is yet to come!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ditto for me 37 days ago!!!

Thank you for sharing your good news. Continued success to you!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Seek,

I am glad you found us 28 days ago and that you have found sobriety. This is a super place to visit for support and inspiration, so keep posting.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Good for you!!! very happy for you. I too found sobriety and a great life by logging in here.....three, almost four years ago......keep going! It gets bettre..and better!!!

****{Happy Recovery Hugs}}}
Old 12-24-2006, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

These are the kinda threads that make SoberRecovery such a cool place. Congrats to all.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's awesome SS, I am so glad to hear that you are still sober. Congratulations. Keep us posted on how you are doing from time to time. That is actually very inspiring for others and a good reminder for those with long term sobriety.

Peace, Levi
Old 12-25-2006, 09:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the well wishes,
it is great to read how this site has helped so many people stay sober!
Congrats to everyone for today!