Notices

Chantix

Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chantix

I am on my 6th day on Chantix. I am still smoking three or four packs a day. My time to quit is Fri. at 1:00.

I hope to make some friends before then so I will have somebody to talk to.

I tried just stopping and made it almost three days. Whew. I like to have died. I am not sure an old geezer like me is wired for that much stress.

Has anybody used this Chantix before?

Thanks and I look forward to meeting some of you on here.

Thanks

Ray
Old 12-23-2006, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Wino,
Welcome.
I am in the process of TRYING to get ready to quit.
I began the Chantix in November, and it didn't seem to help me, hopefully it will work for you.
I quit for 8 months by using the patches, so I am going to stock up on them, and attempt, (and be successful) On January 1st.

Hopefully, me and you can join this group with the white teeth, and fresh breath!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im working up to weaning myself down a bit ......... then I was going to use the gum. I tried it earlier, but it really irritated my throat.
I was going to get the patches, but got the gum free.
Im trying to get myself to set a NO MORE date ......... it's hard.
I have been moving my pack around the house, I put them in the freezer, that requires me to get my butt up and and think about lighting the butt. So for me I wait longer to smoke.
Well I did that tonight, and put almost 3 hours between smokes. I went to get one, and my step son apparently needed the 3 packs I had. Oh boy, talk about a fit I was throwing, and trying to rationalize myself and not act like an @$$!
I ended up getting a pack from the neighbor. Geez. *smacks forehead*
Old 12-24-2006, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Two days, 4 hours, 41 minutes and 27 seconds. 142 cigarettes not smoked, saving $19.62. Life saved: 11 hours, 50 minutes.

So far the Chantix has worked just like it is supposed to.

Do I still have the debate inside my head? You bet. I call it Black Dog and White Dog. Black Dog hasn't got the help of the physical withdrawal is all. I am not all mad(and I get ALL mad) or cold sweats, or any of the other dozen symptoms.

Cigarettes lost their effect after using the stuff for about 5 days. No nicotine "boost".

I am still reaching for them, but I ain't lit one today. I talk to my HP almost constantly, because I know how many times I have tried and failed.

Ray
Old 12-24-2006, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hey, Ray;
Congratulations on 2 days!!!

The first week is indeed the toughest. But, I had to prepare for urges and PLAN what behaviors I would choose to do differently. And honestly, that is the way it is for me; behavioral changes.

Don't get me wrong. I used the zyban; the patch and the gum. I used group smoke cessation counseling and telephone counseling. I joined the gym and I joined the chorus too. And every single time I got a craving, I did something different. I choose and alternate behavior. That took my mind off smoking, and the cravings passed. They always do you know!

Moose, I look forward to seeing you here.
Don't forget to check in daily. It really did help me to be held accountable.

Today, I am One year, three weeks, four days, 14 hours, 7 minutes and 27 seconds nicotine free That's. 15623 cigarettes not smoked, saving $4,296.47. Life saved: 7 weeks, 5 days, 5 hours, 55 minutes.

Remember to keep the quit and post before you puff! :>)

Shalom!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi all

I guess I reach for one every few seconds. Just conditioned behavior. Every time I reach I ask God to remove this defect of character. I'm sure praying a lot. :>)

I can't say that this being Christmas means much as far as smoking. I smoked 3+ packs a day no matter what day it was.

Time for an AA meeting and a bunch of wonderful second hand smoke. :>)

Later

Ray
Old 12-26-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Three days, 19 hours, 50 minutes and 39 seconds. 248 cigarettes not smoked, saving $34.20. Life saved: 20 hours, 40 minutes.

Between the Chantix, the interaction here and on Paltalk and using the spiritual tools I have been given, I am still smoke free.

I am not wheezing and bubbling nearly as much.

I still reach for them, but I haven't lit one yet. It really hasn't been THAT bad this time. It is nothing like cold turkey.

I am eating too much and the nausia from the Chantix is pretty noticeable. I will worry about the eating later and the nausia is more manageable than withdrawals.

Stay Smober

Ray
Old 12-26-2006, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

Glad you made it through the holiday with your tools and interactions.

I focused solely on quitting the first year; I gained @ 25 pounds. But, I had two major surgeries too, where I couldn't use the gym. The gym was one of my tools to get me through smoking. So, this year, I'm working on loosing the weight. And I will. I'll use the same focus I used for my smoke cessation on my weight loss. But, I'm going to be honest, and say it will be after the first of the year.

Sorry to hear about the nausia.
Hope it gets better for you soon!

Shalom!
Old 12-27-2006, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

Just started taking Chantix 3 days ago. My target quit date is January 1. I've been smoking 1-2 packs a day for 10 years. I'm getting married in June and decided I didn't want my fiance to marry a smoker.

I plan on using this forum as a support tool, so any support you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Grizzld;
Welcome to SR!

I'm glad you've decided to quit. What's your plan? How are you going to handle urges? What will you do differently when you're normally smoking?

I made quite specific plans, used any and all tools available for my quit and came here to post on the daily check in as an accountablility. I got rid of all smoking utensils; ashtrays, lighters, etc... I joined the gym and the chorus for long term behavior changes to keep me on track. Do whatever it takes to get quit -- it's worth it in the long run.

Quitting is not easy, but, it IS doable. Today, I am One year, four weeks, 2 hours, 26 minutes and 1 second smoke free. That's 15724 cigarettes not smoked, saving $4,324.12. Life saved: 7 weeks, 5 days, 14 hours, 20 minutes.

Remember to keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
boommer

Hey everybody,congrats to you all.I'm a smoker,and I smoke over a pack a day and I would be willing to do anything to quit.My question is what is Chantix and does it take away the cravings.I have a very stressful job and it seems I smoke more at work than I do at home.Please let me know how all of you are doing it.Thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Grizzld------I plan on being here. I used Chantix and it is working for me.

boommer---------Chantix does what it says it will do. It has a chemical that binds to the receptors in the brain and do two things. 1-----this action makes those receptors not physically NEED nicotine and thereby put the quitter in withdrawal. 2-----It blocks those receptors so that when nicotine is used it does not cause the pleasureable effect. No "rush"or "high".

It was recommended that I smoke for the first week until I tapered into the dosage. That is the easy part. I found by the sixth and certainly the seventh day I was smoking more and inhaling deeply and upon self examination, realized the smoking was not producing the pleasurable sensation it had always done. It smelled good, gave me something to do with my hands and satisfied the psychological habit, but no physical benefits.

How difficult the psychological problems are will differ greatly, of course. I have a strong habit, built up over many years of using cigarettes. For the fist couple of days I reached constantly for a cigarette. I go an hour or more without the action now.

I repeatedly pray when I reach. As I do it every time the principle of repetition kicks in. "Repetition confirms and strengthens and the action becomes natural". I can deliberately form habits and replace bad ones with good ones.

Do not think it will be a snap. It is not, for me. I have used this forum, Paltalk, the Chantix website and my friends in AA, most of whom smoke, as resources. I also have a SilkQuit meter. Kinda like a desire chip.

Four days, 21 hours, 30 minutes and 46 seconds. 318 cigarettes not smoked, saving $43.76. Life saved: 1 day, 2 hours, 30 minutes.

It puts the information of my success in front of me constantly.

I wish you botth well. I cannot tell you how to do it, but I can tell you how I am doing it.

Ray
Old 12-27-2006, 09:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Six days, 21 hours, 19 minutes and 17 seconds. 447 cigarettes not smoked, saving $61.56. Life saved: 1 day, 13 hours, 15 minutes.

Just whippin right along.

I am still having the mental wars, but not as frequently or as intensely. I find they pass by the time I have finished the serenity prayer. :>)

I got up this morn and asked God to keep me sober and smober for another 24. Now it is up to me to do my part.

Ray
Old 12-29-2006, 08:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Too cute.... smober, I will have to remember that one.

One day at a time!
Old 12-31-2006, 10:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cynay--------like almost everything in sobriety and now smobriety, I stole the term smobriety, from this site. :>)

One week, two days, 11 hours, 36 minutes and 14 seconds. 616 cigarettes not smoked, saving $84.76. Life saved: 2 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes.

A report on Chantix.

I have been getting progressively more nausiated. Frequent vomiting for the last four days on the drug. I tried taking the Chantix in reduced dosage with no change and quit entirely Fri. Morn. So I have not taken full strength for four days and at all for two.

How long does it take to flush out of the system? I do not know. Nausia still noticeable, but no actual unswallowing for today and this evening I ate a meal.

My experience with this new drug is not NEARLY what I had hoped for. It DOES stop the physical benefits of the nicotine. It does nothing, however, for the psychological cravings and habit. I have reached for a smoke a million times. Without the information on this site and others I would not have made it.

Right now I want a cigarette. I live as cimpletely honest as I know how to. I was at an AA meeting tonite and they looked and smelled good.

What I DO NOT want is a $70.00 a week addiction. What I DO NOT want is to become quickly filled with phlegm and mucous again.

What I MUST do is ask my Higher Power to help me to remember that first cigarette comes with one hell of a lot of baggage.

I am starting to have physical cravings and they will get worse since I have not been off nicotine but 9 1/2 days. I really think with the information I have gotten and the friends I have made here I can make it. I sure hope so. I plan to go to the non-smoking AA meeting (teacuppers) tomorrow and see if there is somebody there I can get for a sponsor to help me shake thru it.

See you later

Ray
Old 01-01-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
To Life!

((((Wino))))
Have you thought about the patch?
I used it. It helped. And we slowly wean off the nicotine. By the time I was down to the smallest patch, I kept forgetting to put it on, so, I just stopped! LOL! The step down approach did help me.

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi all

I did try the patch, gum, lozenges with and without Welbutrin.

I am truly convinced that until this time I just wanted to smoke slightly more than I wanted to quit.

I never considered it to be a major problem, for me. I was raised in a time when the most successful and respected people in the world smoked.

The addiction has come to the place where it is more problems than it is worth. I am sorry for that, but it is true.

It would be true if all the propaganda were not said. It would be true if the cigs were still .25 a pack. It would be true if people could still smoke where they wanted to without other people and laws telling them they could not.

I know this because I do not believe the propoganda. I can afford to smoke. I basically don't go many places where other people control what I do.

One week, five days, 10 hours, 3 minutes and 22 seconds. 807 cigarettes not smoked, saving $110.99. Life saved: 2 days, 19 hours, 15 minutes.

Ability to breathe, greatly improved. I do not pay voluntary taxes on the cig.
I sincerely hope the time I have saved on my life is not spent in a rest home drooling at a wall.

Ray
Old 01-07-2007, 05:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life...It's What's For Dinner

Wooo Hooooo

A whole board about smoking! (Yipppeeee) On Wednesday I am going to the doctor to ask about Chantix. Last year I went to the local QuitNet place and since I failed twice on the patch/gum/lozegens with them they wouldn't help me anymore. I tried a third time on my own with some leftover patches/gum/lozogens. Didn't work cause here I am typing this and smoking a cig. HUMPHHHH!!! My insurance will pay for the Chantix, but I can NOT let the doctor talk me into patches again and I don't want to take Zyban cause I have read that Chantix has a better rate of helping people quit. My insurance will only let me try one thing in a year, so I want to do it the right way the first time. I have read the one side effect is nausea, which I am ok with cause then maybe I would stop eating and lose a little weight while I am at it. I only smoke a pack a day, it should (key word here) be easy to quit. So, over the next few weeks I will let you guys know how it is going!!
Old 01-07-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Inspiring,
Glad you're joining us!
I've been quit almost a week now, so I know you can do this!!!

Hugs,