Took husband to detox again

Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Took husband to detox again

Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that I took my husband to detox today. My daughter and I made the 75 mile trip to his RV this morning. He looks awful, thin, hollow eyed, and moves around like he's in slow motion. Very unstable on his feet. I've seen him drunk a million times, and he wasn't this shaky. Of course, not eating will make you shaky, and he's lost 35 pounds in 3 months; according to the hospital's scale.

He said he wanted to go, I didn't insist or try to persuade him. I pray that it will make a difference this time, but my expectations are non-existent. This is his 5th visit to the same facility. But, at least he's safe for the time being, and not lying drunk in his filthy RV.

Take care,
Cheri
Old 12-20-2006, 11:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are right to not have expectations, but we never know. We can hope he catches on this time. I too am glad he is safely where they can check him out.
Thanks for the update, and keep us posted.
Lv to you all!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ICU

I'm glad that he 'wanted' to go. I bet that made it easier on all of you. I'm sure you and your kids feel better knowing that he is being looked out for and taken care of medically, at least for the time being. How long will they keep him there?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear he wanted to go. Many prayers for you and your family. Keep us posted. ((()))
Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. The longest he's been there is 5 days. I hope they keep him there through Christmas day, since he sure isn't coming to my house, and I don't want him to have to go back to the nasty RV.

He falls all of the time. Last summer he had alcohol induced seizures, and I wonder if his balance problems are connected to that. It's not just because he's drunk.

Cheri
Old 12-21-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FROG....Fully Relying On God

Hi Cheri......sorry to hear about your husband but glad that he was willing to go to detox. I just brought one of my friends there day before yesterday myself and I was glad that he was willing to go.
As long as there is a heartbeat....there is hope.
Love,
Jig
Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand about not getting your expectations up, but right now you know he is safe.........and who knows? maybe this time is the charm.

Best wishes and keep us posted
Old 12-21-2006, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What's the best way to find a detox place? Are there ones that are free? I'm trying to get my husband into one, or I won't go back home. We are in Diamond Bar, Ca (southern Ca). Have any of you found success in detox?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

De-tox just gets you through the withdrawls without a stroke or heart attack. I've been through 2 inpatient myself, and countless "home" de-toxes (including the last, and worst.....ugh). The sobriety never stuck.

What he needs is re-hab after wards. Usually they're about 28 days. Then, he needs to get himself into a good program. I recommend AA. I did the same, and have 60 days this weekend. This is after countless attempts to stop on my own, usually no longer than a week or two.

Based on what you wrote, your hubby sounds as if he is in the last stages. If so, he will die if he continues this way.

They call it cunning(chronic), baffling(progressive), powerful(fatal) for a reason.......
Old 12-21-2006, 09:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The VA offers some really good ones, if he is a vet. Those are free, and seemed to help mine at least for a time. The outpatient day treatment ones are covered by our insurance. Again, those helped him while he was in them. He just has problems when he stops going. The hospital detoxes seem to suck as far as I can see. He was in one of those about 6 months ago for a few days. All they did was give him a bed in the psych ward, and some sleeping pills. A counselor came and talked to him on the third day. But mine doesn't need to detox so much as he just needs to quit, as he can go for a few months at a time now, and only drinks for a week or so at a time. I know years ago when he would quit after heavy daily use, he would get shakes and really sick like the flu. So thats when I think the hospital ones would be helpful to get them through the physical stuff.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

With regard to the VA's treatment program. I went through their 28 inpatient program (Cleveland VA) and I found it to be a great help. There was an AA meeting everynight and we had no excuses not to go, since there wasn't anything else to do. I found that going to a meeting everyday got me into a routine which I have continued since I was discharged; I currently attend 8 meetings a week. Good luck to you.