Notices

Is there anybody out there?

Old 12-08-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there anybody out there?

Just trying to get ideas to stop using. I've made so many promises to myself to quit that I just don't believe myself anymore. How do you do it?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Mostly, a day at a time...sometimes an hour or a minute at a time.

Don't know what your drug of choice is...but, have you considered going into a medical detox and/or rehab? If you can manage to withdraw from the drug(s) on your own (which can be both difficult and dangerous), your next step could be AA and/or NA meetings...just go on-line for a list of those near you.

In the meantime...welcome to SR, and keep on posting here. You'll find a lot of love and support, no matter what your particular brand of poison.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NAIOU

If recovery was for people who needed it I would never be able to get on the SR web site. Recovery is for people who want it. I had to know deep down inside that I wanted to change. Only you can make the decision to get clean. Here is how you do it. Don't use no matter what (it took me a long time to get that part right) Don't hang out with the old play mates in the old playground with the old play toys. Get to a NA or AA meeting and ask for help. Keep us posted of your progress. You will get some great support here at SR.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Originally Posted by logo View Post
If recovery was for people who needed it I would never be able to get on the SR web site. Recovery is for people who want it. I had to know deep down inside that I wanted to change. Only you can make the decision to get clean. Here is how you do it. Don't use no matter what (it took me a long time to get that part right) Don't hang out with the old play mates in the old playground with the old play toys. Get to a NA or AA meeting and ask for help. Keep us posted of your progress. You will get some great support here at SR.
Good advice logo...

Try to find a good reason to quit. Quit for yourself, and if your lucky enough to have someone who cares deeply for your well being, quit for them and yourself...

Its not easy, if it were like logo said, SR's server would crash every day...

Best of luck to you...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

You might check out LifeRing meetings in San Francisco.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((((((Hummingbird)))) First, welcome to SR...read, post, read, post and then read some more!!!! Explore the threads and express yourself....thats why we are all here and this place ROCKS!!!!

I have got to go with Logo here.......First of all, I dont even know what you are using but if your concerned, ya gotta WANT to stop first.......
and you can do it.......we are ALL here to help!!!! Just let us in!!!!!
Liss
Old 12-09-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. It helps to feel supported. My drug of choice at this point is pot and pills. I haven't had a drink in 15 years but I need to give up the rest. Thanks for the feedback about wanting it. I do want recovery-I'm just scared to give up using. The withdrawals are hard to take and I end up using again each time I've become too uncomfortable.