Notices

Why Are We Here?

Old 11-11-2006, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Why Are We Here?

Why are we here?

Before coming to the Fellowship of NA, we could not manage our own lives. We could not live and enjoy life as other people do. We had to have something different and we thought we had found it in drugs. We placed their use ahead of the welfare of our families, our wives, husbands, and our children. We had to have drugs at all costs. We did many people great harm, but most of all we harmed ourselves. Through our inability to accept personal responsibilities we were actually creating our own problems. We seemed to be incapable of facing life on its own terms.

Most of us realised that in our addiction we were slowly committing suicide, but addiction is such a cunning enemy of life that we had lost the power to do anything about it. Many of us ended up in jail, or sought help through medicine, religion, and psychiatry. None of these methods was sufficient for us. Our disease always resurfaced or continued to progress until in desperation, we sought help from each other in Narcotics Anonymous.

After coming to NA we realised we were sick people. We suffered from a disease from which there is no known cure. It can, however, be arrested at some point, and recovery is then possible.

I knew where to go when I had enough, I knew that I could no longer live life they way that I had always done it. There was a solution and that solution was and still is Narcotics Anonymous.

I was and still am completely desperate today, I know that in complete desperation is when I sough help. I went to any length to get help almost 6 months ago. I checked myself into counseling, out patient, completed the course and graduated. I also knew that I had been there and done that before, but this time I did it on my own, no court system was under my belt. I had finally had enough.

I have always placed the use of drugs ahead of anyone and anything, selfish, self centered to the extreme. Today I know that I suffer from a dis-ease not a moral deficiency. I am grateful that today that my disease is arrested and now recovery is possible. Don't have to use no matter what!

With Love and Respect

Vic