Notices

I can't do it again!

Old 11-07-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't do it again!

I did it for over a month.. now I can't do it again.

How do you start again??!!?!

Help.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Just don't do it right now! I know how hard it is once you go back out. There for almost 3 months or so I couldn't even get 5 days in. Now because of doing the things that I am told, and not picking up, working the steps and applying the principles to all of my affairs I have been clean for almost 6 months now. I never thought that I would see a clean day again. So try not to be so hard on yourself, it would be good to go to a meeting, and remember that you are worth living.

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckyv2
So try not to be so hard on yourself, it would be good to go to a meeting, and remember that you are worth living.With Love and Respect
Vic
I began by going to as many AA meetings as I could find in one day..
What I remember the most about relapse is that the crap stopped working. It didn't make me happy anymore.. It didn't give me a nice fuzzy feeling anymore.. All it gave me was one pass out after another and then I had to figure out how and where I was gonna get my next bottle.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What you are experiencing right now is by no means unusual, and definitely not a reason to give up. The fact you have asked for input and help is a good sign.

Don't beat yourself up about this. That energy can be put to better use.

Decide to start again, and decide no matter what, no matter how many times you fail, you will succeed.

One of the people that got me into treatment told me, if I relapsed, to not give up because of it.

It is a relapse, not the return of the dark ages.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Hey someday! I feel you--I completely understand how you feel. I had a month and a few days, and now I guess today is day 6 for me (yet again). The secret is to not give up--no matter what happens. If you say "Screw it--I've screwed up again & I'll never get back the time I had", chances are that you won't. I've felt overwhelmed & defeated many times--but I always come back to SR. I always find my way back to AA. I talk to others who understand me & my addiction. So, if you want to stay sober, please don't beat yourself up. It won't help any. Just keep moving forward. You made a post here--so at least you are making progress--whether you see that or not. Hang in there!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do this. Forgive yourself and pick yourself back up. If you keep beating yourself up, it will more than likely keep you down. The mind is a very powerful thing. Change your thoughts to positive thoughts that you are gonna make it.

The key is action. Wishing never gets one anywhere but action is the key. I wanted sobriety for a long time and I wished for it, but it didn't happen until I took action and did stuff that I was told would work even though it wasn't stuff that I necessarily wanted to do.

To get recovery, we must go outside of what we want to do and start doing what we need to do. This is important because our lives are at stake. Each day it is a daily decision... you can make the right one.

We're here for you!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with others dont beat yourself up.
Don't drink and go to as many meetings as you can.
Also keep posting here.
You will be welcomed with open arms when you get back to AA.be honest with them and yourself
Old 11-08-2006, 11:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How do you start? You make a firm decision in your clearheaded mind that this monster will not take you over. You make a plan for how you intend to deal with the thoughts when they come. Don't assume that they won't simply because you quit. When the thoughts start invading your mind you put your plan into action - write in a journal, pray, read some info aobut addiction, walk around the block, punch a punching bag, call a friend, go to an AA meeting...

If something doesn't work, then try something else. Just keep fighting. Each battle you win makes you stronger for the next time. You CAN beat this.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Boy do I hear you.I have just over a month clean myself and am really struggling. Today all I have to hang on to is the fact that I did not use or drink. It was hard as heck for me too..I know I have to be more willing to do what it takes or I will go back out on this crazy ride again..I just don't have the ENERGY to fight this **** anymore. Maybe we should just surrender to recovery huh????
Thinking of you..
love north
Old 11-09-2006, 03:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can't do it again. How often I've said those words. The harsh reality is that I can. With ten days of sobriety under my belt I feel as if I can drink just one night, but it continually spirals out of control. One night turns into a week long bender. I know I am powerless over alcohol but when I am feeling fine and sober my thoughts sabotage me yet again. This past Friday I drove , almost unconciously, to the nearby liqour store and purchased my all-time favorite mind obliterator WHISKEY!!!!!. I guess today's Thursday, and I haven't really had a sober moment since Friday ( pre-liqour imbibement) so I'm going on a week now without a sane thought. I know I have to stop doing this to myself. I'm flunking out of school, have no friends left and feel downright miserable right now. So, today I once again start to try and quit drinking. This is my first post and any responses would be welcome. I really just want to get better at being me.

Last edited by caladan; 11-09-2006 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't do it again. How often I've said those words. The harsh reality is that I can. With ten days of sobriety under my belt I feel as if I can drink just one night, but it continually spirals out of control. One night turns into a week long bender. I know I am powerless over alcohol but when I am feeling fine and sober my thoughts sabotage me yet again. This past Friday I drove , almost uncociously, to the nearby liqour store and purchased my alltime favorite mind obliterator WHISKEY!!!!!. I guess today's Thursday, and I haven't really had a sober moment since Friday ( pre-liqour imbibement) so I'm going on a week now without a sane thought. I know I have to stop doing this to myself. I'm flunking out of school, have no friends left and feel downright miserable right now. So, today I once again start to try and quit drinking. This is my first post and any resposes would be welcome. I really just want to get better at being me.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((( caladan )))

You can rationalize and understand the why's and how's of your drinking problem.. but there's only one part that really matters and that's the action!

Go to an AA meeting before you drink.. If that's at 9am so be it. Go to as many as you can until you've got your 24 hour desire chip. You'll get back everything you've had and that you want all you must to is to stop bending that elbow!

Congrats on your decision to begin again.. I'm so hoping you'll stick to your guns this time! YOu can do it!!