Notices

New and Thankful

Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New and Thankful

To everyone in all the SR Forums:
Hi, my name is Sean, and I’m an addict. I’ve been reading here on SR for a while, but never seen a computer screen. See, I’m in prison in Virginia. I’ve been locked up and free from drugs for about 1 ½ years now, with about the same time left to do. I had been living the lifestyle of an addict for years on the street and found my way to support my drug use be selling them, and in turn, ended up in here, saving my life. I’ve lost my best friend (who was murdered a few months prior to my incarceration) to that lifestyle, along with many relationships, friends, houses, cars, credit, joint custody of my son, self-respect, and any respect of others. It is truly an evil thing. My drugs of choice were cocaine, crack, heroin, pills, weed, and always alcohol. I got involved in an awesome TC Program a month after being arrested, and fought and struggled, and finally gave up and started to live again. NA, along with other things, has truly changed my life. God has put me where I needed to be. I receive so much from reading here at SR. I can see people out in the world dealing with life and all it can throw at them. I feel lucky to be in here, and given this chance to learn and start my recovery before facing the outside. Thanks to all of you for posting, because I learn from everyone and see both sides of the fence, from being an addict to being the loved ones of addicts; from dealing with addiction to co-dependency and more. We can and do recover and jail doesn’t have to be an end, but offers a new beginning if you are willing to take it. If there are responses to this, I will be sure to get them and write back to post more in a couple weeks. We have a small NA group we started here and I share some of the posts I receive with a couple others, and we can all relate. Anne Marie, you are a strong and faithful woman, and your sharing shows strength from a HP in times of sorrow. This just reminds me of how real all this is, and your daughter truly lives on. I wish I could put you in touch with the Mom of my best friend (who died). Blake, time to make the donuts! LOL. You prove that things do change and can and will get better with work and faith. Queen ‘Nique: nice song. LOL Beth, hang in there, keep reading and posting. Everyone: thanks, and sorry for such a long post, but I had to share and say thanks for what ya'll do. Stay strong. Sean
Old 09-05-2006, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Sean

Thanks for posting part of your story.

There is hope and healing and you are a great example.

Blessings..
Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sean,
thanks for sharing that, so glad you are going to get a fresh start. Your attitude is so positive that I'm sure you will be able to continue on this path - likely helping many others along the way.
We get out of life what we put into it. If it took you going to jail to save your life - then thank God you ended up there.
It was great to read your story, and look forward to future updates.

Krista
Old 09-06-2006, 12:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

WoW yes that is a great attiitdude to have, and way to go on getting a meeting going...! and being focused on the future, drug free...

Thank you for shareing some of your ESH, with us..!

Best Wishes to you in your Recovery...!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Sean,

You are an inspiration dude. I used to say that I was allways lucky that I never got arrested, when in fact my HP knew that jail would probably have killed me. You are a strong guy to have found recovery behind the walls of a prison and to share it with your fellows there. Your attitude kicks ass, no terminal victim syndrome comming from you, which is really good since alot of people in your situation blame everyone they can for their situation but themselves and you are taking responsibility for your actions and even further, making a proactive change in your life.

You truly are an inspiration and a miracle.

keep the faith,
Blake
Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sean, that's awesome making a year and a half clean. Well done. My first grandsponsor did 25 years federal time clean and sober, so you are in good company. Thanx for taking the time to share with us, your story is an inspiration.

Mike
Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Sean and thanks so much for sharing your story. What an inspiration you are. My son also did time in jail and I truly believe it saved his life. I'm sorry for all of your losses, but can see thru your words the courage, strength, and determination you have to make your life better, one day at a time.

hugs and prayers ~

deedee
Old 09-07-2006, 07:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Sean,
Thanks for sharing. It's great to see you make something like prison into a positive. The world doesn't change, but our attitudes can!!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

Thanks for posting man. Good luck to you and congrats on being clean.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sean!!

Welcome, I am so glad you found us!!! This place is awesome for support etc!!! I woulda probably died of a major overdose of one thing or another if not for SR!!!!!

So you got busted selling right? Man that musta sucked but yanno.....there is a silver lining in every cloud....I am just so proud that you saw it and acted on it!!! Good For You!!!!! WTG!!!!!!

Sobriety is a b!tch and I struggle every day but I know it is the right thing because I personally am not a social ANYTHING!!! (be it drinker....user ...whatever!!!! )

Stay strong, post and read away!!!!!! we are ALL here to listen!!!!
PM me anytime!!! I have REALLy strong shoulders!!!! LOL

Again.....glad your here!!!!

Liss
Old 09-07-2006, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you sooo much for sharing that. You are truly an inspiration. Way to go on doing the right thing. I ditto others about the being pro-active. You are not just sober;you are already, even incarcerated, living in a way as to help others. Thanks and best wishes to you.
Look forward to updates,
Star
Old 09-07-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

((((((((Sean)))))))))
Thank you so much for sharing some of your story with us! I'm so touched and you have inspired me in ways I can't truly articulate. I think it is amazing how you have used the tools you are acquiring and are giving back to help others in need. It would be easy to give up but you chose to accept responsibility for the actions that lead you there and to desire change and taking the journey forward.
I look forward to hearing more from you and will keep you in my prayers. I'm grateful your HP had you right where you needed to be. Thank you.
Love, hugs and prayers -Anne Marie
Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Again Sean...

My oldest Grandson did 4 hears in state prison
and like you. found his recovery there.

He will soon pick up his 5 year AA medallion.
He has married, become a Dad and has a good job.

This can happen for you too.

All my best...
Old 09-08-2006, 05:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Sean, my sis-in-law is in jail right now and I am helping to raise her son. She is doing NA there in jail and has met with NA members from a local group, so she has a group to go to when she gets out. And hopefully she will come to SR!! Thanks so much for posting and I'm so glad for you that you have found sobriety. Have you been able to read our "Loved Ones in Prison" thread under the NAr-Anon list? It would be great if you could join us on that.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sean,

Thanks for posting your story and sharing with us.

I wish you well!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Sean,

Great to hear your story, your an inspiration man. I have been clean about the same time as you after a 20 years clean and then a 10 year relapse with alcohol. I also spent 4 years in prison in england, my last stay was the last time I used street drugs 30 years ago.

Keep the posts coming, I want to know how your doing. I love NA and AA as well and go to as many meetings as I can.

Its good to get clear and get clean isn't it? Life just there waiting for us full with shining possiblities.

Your the best example (((Sean))), you have made my day.

Kevin