Notices

So saddened. Please pray for this man!!

Old 08-30-2006, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So saddened. Please pray for this man!!

I'm a nurse and have been taking care of a 31 yr old man for the past two weeks, things were looking good. Now he's in a fight for his life for the second time in 6months.
He's an IV drug abuser, and back in Feb 2006 came into the hospital so sick, almost in a coma. He devloped an infection on his aortic valve directly R/T IV drug abuse. He underwent a successful aortic valve replacement with an artifical valve after extensive open heart surgery.
He returned to the hospital again very sick, with a high fever earlier this month. His drug tox screen revealed cocaine in his system although he denied IV drug abuse. He was noted to have track marks on both ankles. Blood cultures came back positive for a bad staph infection but his new aortic valve seemed uneffected so he was on my floor for long term IV antibiotic therapy. He also has a dX of bipolar disorder and has a g/f who is due to have a baby in the begining of Sept. (no prenatal care, social worker tried to help but she wa no receptive.
Yesterday, a nurse came to me and said she was scared of him. He was acting weird and she thought he might be having a bipolar episode. I went into his room and he was not right ( I thought psychological as well). He was restless, seemed to loose his ability to speak and could only say "Wrong" and pointing to his IV pole. My prescence seemed to make him anxious, so I asked if I should leave, he shook his head no. After about 20min he was able to speak to me. He said he felt like he had lost oxygen to his brain and said he couldn't see peripherially. He had been running a temp on and off for a couple of days but blood cultures were all negative. I called his Doctor, who was not very professional and I will not repeat what he said but it was evident he thought it was an "act" to get some pain meds. Also mentioned he belonged locked up somewhere. Thank GOD the infectious disease doctor was more receptive. Tests were ordered. He had a stroke ( that's why he couldn't speak and felt he has lost oxygen to his brain. They also found his artifical valve vegitated ( full of infection) which probably caused a clot that went to his brain causing his stroke. He was sent to a larger hospital where his condition could be dealt with. He will have to have a second open heart surgery and one of his doctors ( the good one) don't think he's going to make it. I recently moved from the North to the South and find people so judgemental here. " He did it to himself, he has no insurance, we are the ones footing the bill for something he chose to do to himself."
I don't know the why of it as I've thankfully never been addicted to drugs but I do know he is human. His life is as precious as mine or anyone else's. All he has is his g/f. Family have abandoned him. He needs prayers. Please pray for him. Thank You.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thumbs up I'm glad he had You

He and his girlfriend are both in my prayers...

Addiction is an Illness and the Medical profession needs education.

Thank you for your compassion !

Old 08-30-2006, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely... prayers going out for that young man and his g/f AND for all of the ignorant people in this world.

(...)
Old 08-31-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Blizzard -

I am really sorry to hear about your patient. I work at CMC in Charlotte and have had many of the same type of experiences. If your guy happened to be transferred to Charlotte (instead of Winston) let me know. I'd love to go and see him. I work with a lot of neuro patients. Let me know if I can help -

Donna
Old 08-31-2006, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((((((Praying)))))))))
Old 08-31-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

lightseeker,
He was transferred to Duke, that's where he had his first open heart surgery. He's been in my thoughts and prayers. Thank You all for your prayers for him.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Blizzard -

thanks for letting me know. He and his girlfriend will be in my thoughts and prayers. I so agree with you regarding the treatment of many addicts. It is a very little understood disease. I work in the area of trauma so you can imagine how much addiction I see. It is a disease that strikes all levels of society but it sure is stigmatized. Hopefully, his experiences at Duke will be with more understanding people. It's shocking how little the "regular" medical professionals know about addiction. Keep me posted on how he is doing.

Donna
Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On a tear

(((the addict who still suffers....))))

(((Blizzard)))

Thank you for your kindness.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is very sad how society looks at addicts. Especially the medical profession. You would think that they would be at least a little bit understanding. But sad to say, that is not always the case. I work in a halfway house, and we had to call the cops one night, because we had a resident that was acting crazy. When the cops got here, and we explained to them what had happened, they just looked at us with disgust in their eyes and told us that there was nothing that they could do. It brought tears to my eyes. It was like they were looking down on us. And we (the resident manager and myself) are in recovery, and we still got that look. But anyways, I guess I just have to get into some acceptance!!

My prayers are with this gentleman and his girlfriend!

Alissa
Old 09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

He's had the surgery but his infectious disease MD wasn't sure if they put in another artifical valve or a mechanical valve. They opted against the mechanical valve the first time because he would have had to been on coumadin (blood thinner) for the rest of his life to prevent clots. With his HX they were afraid. I also found out that some of the vegitation that was growing on his artifical valve also went to his spleen causing bleeding in the spleen. No baby yet. His g/f said she would call us and update us on his /her condition but so far we have't heard from her. All I know is he did survive the surgery. Thanks for your prayers. BTW, I heard that once his Doctor (the one who didn't seem ot give a crap) found out he had a strike he was SHOCKED. Actually, he had two small strokes. What an ignorant man that Dr is, I will never think of him the same again. I've always known him to be a very good Doctor but this has changed my mind.