Notices

Coffee Hour!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coffee Hour!!!

Well, as we know normal drinkers and active alcoholics have "happy hour". I see no reason for us not to have a semblance of such. We will call it Coffee Hour.

How about we share little tidbits, "busy" ideas for not drinking, news clips, etc. Pretty much anything that strikes your fancy. This thread may get moved somewhere else, but I know there are people here who could stand to be kept busy by idle chatter.

I am starting out, I have a Folgers coffee with creme brulee creamer and a tad of sugar.

Tidbit #1)I have found a sponsor and I am soooo excited. Some of you might remember my search for one I was 0-2. She is a dynamic person with 4 years. She has a very hyper personality like myself I think we will get along great.

Tidbit #2) Tropical Storm Ernesto is making its way towards Florida, we expect to get a lot of rain, hopefully not too much more than that.

BTW, Cheers is always a huge thing to toast others to say good-bye, good luck, down the hatch, etc.; can we come up with something that doesnt remind us all of swilling down a beer right after we "Cheers"?

For now I will say TOODLES!!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a great idea! Great to hear about the sponsor, it's a tremendous relationship to experience...I'm so excited for you!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, I'll jump in. I'm sitting here drinking dark roast coffee (picked up that little vice when I lived in Louisiana!) I just got back from the doctor's after wearing a heart monitor for the past 24 hours. I'm glad to get that off! Results will be Friday and I'll worry about that when it gets here.

For now, I'm checking out what I missed on SR and waiting for time to head to my Tuesday night ladies' meeting at my home group. Will probably drop in to see my sponsee either before or after the meeting as she has to work and will miss it today.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 08-29-2006, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, good luck with that. Try not to worry too much, ya know, one day at a time!

I was going to try and make a tues night meeting but my husband is out and about, and with the storm I am not sure if it is cancelled or not!

Going to make myself another cup of coffee. I love watching the storms roll in.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am making some coffee too.....humingbird feeding every hour has wiped me out !!!!!

Congrats on your sponsor...we were in the same boat with that and I am still without, but hopeful .....

as for Ernesto...I will hope it is not too bad.

and toodles back at ya....

~B
Old 08-29-2006, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Another fave of mine is TTFN (ta ta for now)

I have a Biblezine (its the Bible in magazine form, its really cool). I was reading it today and found something I really liked for us. Let me go find it.....

Ok found it, let me get the copyright part down.

(NCV - quoted with permission - "Becoming" pg 57)

Silence vs Quiet
They are not one and the same. "Silence," Frederick Buechner says, "can't be anything but silent. Quiet chooses to be silent. It holds its breath to listen. It waits and is still."

I really liked that, it hit home. What do y'all think?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I finally broke down and brewed a pot of coffee. Gotta take it easy with that stuff, love it, but it doesn't always love me. I'm out of half-caf, yikes, how'd I do that?

Going to a meeting tonight, so it'll keep me motivated. If nothing else I'll be all sorts of talkative after this pot of coffee.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did someone say LOUISIANA...LOL ok, I know i heard it....lol PLEASE STAND UP AND ACKNOWLEDGE URSELF......lol

I have those FOLGERS PODS in my freezer. I had a customer tell me to place ur coffee in the freezer to stay fresh longer. Anyway....u dont need a pod coffee maker for the pod coffee.....they r just like tea bags or the regular coffee singles....i place a pod in my cup with one sweetnlow and pour hot water over it and let it steep....HAZELNUT IS AWESOME. : )

LOUISIANA...I know i heard LOUISIANA....LOL I LOVE BATON ROUGE, LA. LOL

REALLY. : )

BUT...........................................

Im here in HOUSTON, TEXAS AND IM AT HOME HERE IN SR WITH MANY WONDERFUL TEXAN RECOVERY SUPPORTERS....GOOOOOD FELLOWSHIP..! oh and many of you outter towners. : )

At my grocery Store HEB here in Houston...and is a huge chain in Texas as well....anyway...if i spot an item that im bagging like.....DARK ROAST COMMUNITY COFFEE or any thing that looks like its from Louisiana, i will ask the customer if they r from La. ...with a questionable look on their faces...like how did u know....ill ask them if they r from there..With a yes and how did u know...ill reply...the coffee gave u away....and we laugh...

Sponsors are GREAT....I never replaced my sponsor i had back in LOUISIANA.
I love her and ill never forget ur kindness and her willingness to stay with me as i went thru my ups and downs in early recovery. As someone who NEVER told me what to do....by her suggestions and shining examples i followed her in her foorsteps to stay sober one day at a time.

I dont see her often, but she will forever be that special SPONSOR who was instrumental in my recovery.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i can't jump in right now...but that is a really cool idea...very creative

props mgml

j.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LOL at this point i HAVE NOTHING MORE (oops) to do. EVERYTHING will be shutting down in about an hour and a half. My apt has a sliding glass door that faces west, so should be able to watch the storm as it rolls in.

Does anyone have a topic to put out there? I am racking my brain.
How about? How involved are you all in community affairs? Do you volunteer anywhere? Do you want to? What would be the one you would dedicate most of your time to?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Old 08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Blueberry coffee from 7-11
Old 08-29-2006, 06:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sharon, I KNEW that would get you going roflmao!!!!

Yes, I spent a year in Lafayette (went for a crawfish festival in Breaux Bridge one year and found a cajun in the process LOL!) The marriage was very shortlived and pretty much a disaster but I discovered Community Dark Roast and brought it back to Texas with me where I have "converted" many others!! My mom was drinking basically tan water when I moved back now she brews it stronger than I do LOL!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 08-29-2006, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Wink

My name is Vic and I am an addict. Probably dang lucky to be here clean that is for sure. through the Grace of MY HP, the fellowship of the program, the Program of Recovery, and sponsorship and people like you, I haven't had to take a drug (alcohol is a drug) since May 25, 2006 and for that I am eternally grateful.

When I got in the program, I always heard that to get out of self you had to help others. Then there is the part that you can not transmit something that you don't have. Also there is the part where they ask "Does it get any different out there?"

The last time that I relapsed (that lasted a few months) I had a guy from the program come over to me and said "Thank you, now because of you, I don't have to go out and drink today." I said to myself oh yes like I am that powerful, in which I am not. However my experience was enough that he could get a message from it that it didn't get any better out there. Is a matter of fact it gets a lot worse.

When I got in the program, I heard pour coffee for others, make coffee, chair meetings, get INVOLVED. And I took what they say to heart, I didn't and I still don't want to ever have to relieve the months of February through May again. And I don't have to either. Well I also heard a guy say once that to be truly blessed do something for someone once a day, and don't tell anyone what you did, including the person that you are doing it for! Well that is really hard to do and yet the rewards are so full of blessings.

Today, I just try to do my best to be the best Vic that I can be (thanks Gooch) and to try to practice these principles in all of my affairs (thanks Dan) and to be as honest as I can be and be open-minded and willingness. So if I could say what works it is every key on the keyboard because when one key is missing the whole keyboard is broke. Thanks for allowing just a plain average junkie like me to share.

Love Vic
Old 08-29-2006, 07:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good ol COMMUNITY COFFEE.....lol My mon always used the DARK ROAST TOO...for me.....well.....did you know they make flavored CC coffee's...?

Since i had that scare back when with that lump i found in my .....well....it was just a cyst and was drain soon afterwards....too much coffee is a stimulant and i definitely dont need my ...well....stimulated...lol not that much anyways.... lol so today i drink the singles Folgers or the PODS. YUM..

CRAWFISH.....DID U SAY CRAWFISH....AND BREAUX BRIDGE....THE CRAWFISH CAPITAL OF THE WORLD...LOL I think ive only been to BB only a few times... : ( But we could get boiled seasoned CRAWFISH anywheres in Baton Rouge and it was good..... YUM...

Since i am a LOUISIANIAN...I still feel it my duty to represent our state the best way i know how..... my cajun accent....crawfish, CC coffee....Mardi Gras, House of Blues...Jazz music, EMERIL....and soooo much more....lol

LOUISIANA RULES..!!!!!

KELLYE.....im glad u had a chance to experience our wonderful state and it's SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY...... : )
Old 08-29-2006, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sharon, I have always loved LA. The first time I went there (another crawfish festival - my best friend got me hooked on them - but anyways I digress), ANYWAY, from the beginning I fell in love! I love the cajun accent (now that I know you have one I want your phone number so I can just listen to you LOL!), the friendliness of the people, the food, the fun. I even kept my ex-AH's last name cause it is French!

I never ate the crawfish in BB. I wasn't there for that. I was there to dance, have a good time, party and eat ALLIGATOR!!!

My best friend and I have made plans to go back last year and then again this year and they fell through. I think my HP is letting me know that I'm not ready to go back yet, probably saving me from myself!

You know it's bad when the Pat O'Brian people see you coming and start cracking up laughing filling you in on everything you did the night before.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 08-29-2006, 07:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

I have never heard of Blueberry coffee. I'm curious...
Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Starting a New Life

I've been spoiled by drinking coffee from Beanstreets....this amazing coffee place in Asheville, NC. But, now I'm back to drinking Starbucks.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was curious like muse about the blueberry coffee.....sounds delicious....and blueberries r suppose to be good for u..in fact i ate a pint of them moments ago. YUM..!

Yeah...POB Pat's....if that doesnt bring back memories....lol i went with my then boyfriend...now husband and a girlfriend....its an hour drive to New Orleans from Baton Rouge to the famous Pat O'Brians where they serve excellent....lol....lol

HURRICANES...lol oh noooooo what have I said.....lol

Honestly....but i must advise...NEVER EVER DRINK HURRICANES or LONG ISLAND TEAS on a semi empty stomach....lol I dont think i had ever gotten one till then, so i was inhaling them....must have had 2.....GOT SICK THE WHOLE WAY HOME with them pulling of the side of the road for me to throw up....lol

THAT WAS AWEFUL...! AND WHAT A HANGOVER.....LOL

Now i like to think of New Orleans for their famous BEIGENTS (SP?) powdered dounghnuts and coffee milk. YUM..!

You dunk the donghnuts in the coffee milk.... lol or eat them alone. Then u have all this white powdered sugar all over ur face and clothes....lol

ITS STILL ALL GOOD.....

THEN ALL THE GREAT MARDI GRAS PARADES...where i hopped over the barracades to follow the floats down the street yelling....."THROW ME SOMETHING MISTER."

WHEW...THEM WHERE THE GOOD OL DAYS.... : )
Old 08-29-2006, 08:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2dayzmuse
I have never heard of Blueberry coffee. I'm curious...
It sounds so wierd but it is so good. I got it by accident one day and yummmmmm