Being a Man

Old 08-27-2006, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Being a Man

You are reading from Touchstones.

One cannot always be a hero, but one can always be a man.
--Goethe

In our all or nothing and grandiose lifestyles, many of us have had a lot of experience being heroes and being failures. Until we had achieved some sanity we didn't have much experience with being ordinary, genuine men. Many of us thought there was something fundamentally wrong with us. We tried to be great, and when we failed we felt less than human. Our shame in those experiences seemed to say we would never be normal again.

We are learning that being genuine is far more fulfilling than being great. We no longer have to swing between the opposite extremes of hero and coward. When we become honest with ourselves, we develop an internally respectful relationship with ourselves. That is when we become true men. The courage it has taken for us and others on this journey to become honest is heroic in the deepest sense of the word.

As I find the courage to be honest, I will become more genuine.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

OMG Ann! I went to a friends today to give her a ride to a meeting and she showed me that book and I read it. I really like it. I should have asked her what she wanted for it or if she was even willing to sell it but I figured that wouldn't be good. I feel as if it might be her late husbands he died about 4 months ago in a meeting. His last words were "I have never felt so much serenity." wow huh
Old 08-27-2006, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wow, indeed, Vic. That book is published by Hazelden and I'm sure any bookstore would order you a copy. These daily readings are a good way for me to begin my day and also give me something to ponder each morning.

Now I have to admit, it felt strange for ME to post about "Being a Man", LOL, but the message was too good to pass up.

Hugs
Old 08-27-2006, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Ann

Now I have to admit, it felt strange for ME to post about "Being a Man", LOL, but the message was too good to pass up.

Hugs
I would say that I can relate to that but I am a man.