Notices

Is Quitting smoking possible during early recovery?

Old 08-20-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is Quitting smoking possible during early recovery?

I am curious if anyone has experience or knows if it is possible to quit smoking cigarettes during early stages of recovery or should I wait until I have been off of alcohol for awhile?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are actually support forums online. I know a few people on another message board that used it to quit. Sorry, I dont know the name.

As for me and my nicotine addiction we are just going to wait a bit on this one. I figure battle one addiction at a time. But I am sure it can be done. It took will power not to drink, thats what it takes to not smoke.

Star
Old 08-20-2006, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

tHANKS FOR THE ADVICE- I went to the section about smoking and joined Quitnet and I set quit date for a month from today, so hopefully I will be able to quit smoking as I am wanting to better my health.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just keep reminding yourself that smoking kills more people every year than drinking. Smoking is the #1 preventable cause of death in the US. So the sooner you quit the better!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I usually hear that it's possible, but not recommended unless you're facing imminent health problems related to smoking. Some recovering/recovered heroin addicts later say that quitting smoking was more difficult than quitting smack.

I plan on quitting, but probably not until a year into my recovery from alcohol. Good luck with your decision, though! Get all the support you can get. Patches/gum/support groups targeting nicotine can really help.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Actually, the smoke cessation counselor I saw for my quit said that, statistically, people are more apt to be successful when quitting all those unhealthy behaviors at once.

My success is based on choosing alternate behaviors besides smoking. That includes long and short term behaviors.

I am now Eight months, three weeks, one day, 12 hours, 35 minutes and 5 seconds smoke free. That's 10580 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,909.31. Life saved: 5 weeks, 1 day, 17 hours, 40 minutes.

Shalom!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was told to quit my addictions in the order they would kill me! My drinking was going to get me before my smoking so that went first. i quit smoking the day I was 18 months sober and haven't had a cigarette since. It helped me to work the 12 Steps of AA on this problem, too. Good luck! tk
Old 08-20-2006, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Quitnet, yep that was it! Good Luck!! keep us posted.

Star
Old 08-21-2006, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Relax = Relapse

no
Old 08-21-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by The Guzler
no
What do you mean by no?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resentment Building

I am trying (not successfully) to quit smoking too -

I am 9 weeks sober (Seems like longer) - so still early days for me.

Good luck !
Old 08-21-2006, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
REZ

I quit smoking at about 2 months sober, using the steps. I did not have a heavy smoking habit (5-10 cigs a day). Quitting was not too hard for me, but I understand it can be much more difficult when you have a heavier habit. While I would never talk anyone out of quitting smoking, it is important to keep the focus on those drugs that caused me the most problems. I never got arrested, overdosed, blacked out, broke into houses, drove like maniac, got into fights, etc...because of smoking cigarettes. Yes, cigarettes do kill, in the long run, but alcohol and drugs can do it much, much quicker.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

I smoked about half a pack a day when I quit drinking. I quit smoking sometime during my first year of sobriety, but I'd quit smoking once before for about two years, then I thought i could have just one. So I had to quit all over again. If I remember right, and I'm not sure I do, quitting smoking gave me something else to think about and concentrate on besides sobriety. This may not be common. Don't count on it.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey
for me my alcoholism was so bad --horrifyingly so--i concentrate on that everyday--cigareettes-maybe someday but not my concern
Laura
Old 08-21-2006, 09:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 4 of not smoking.

Compared to quitting alcohol it's actually been a lot easier. I don't know why exactly except I think I'm taking what I learned from quitting drinking and applying it to quitting smoking.

I think anything is possible. However, I will heed my doctor's advance which is if it gets stressful and the urge to strong to either drink or smoke - I'll smoke. Hope that makes sense. But she encouraged but cautioned me.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just to add to this I'm on Wellbutrin and I've really kicked up exercising - which has been a huge help!!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I quit smoking in May... my last drink was last Monday night.
The cigarettes were much easier. I dont know why this is. I just want to feel like a human is supposed to feel. Not craving anything.
I really hope I stop craving a glass of wine. Ive heard it never goes away.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

tHANKS FOR EVERYONE'S ADVICE! This is 22 days sober for me and I plan on quiting smoking in another month, I have smoked off and on, quit once for about 2 years, but that was when I was pregnant w/ my 18 yr old than quit smoking again for about 6 months w/my younger son, I smoke about a pack a day, although I have noticed I have cut down since I quit drinking, I think my biggest obstacle will be the fact that my husband is a chain smoker and when I try to get him tosmoke outside sometimes he does and sometimes he doesnt. But I have respiratory problems and know I need to quit, my family history has a lot of smoking related diseases and cancer so that is another reason plus I have allergies which is irritated by cigarette smoke,
Old 08-22-2006, 09:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smoking is a foul, disgusting, stinky and life-sapping habit. I, however, have no intention of even attempting to quit, at least not in the forseeable future. Cigarettes may ultimately kill my body, but alcohol damn near killed my body, soul, spirit, and sanity.