Life Without The Ah

Old 08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Life Without The Ah

You know it is amazing what you can accomplish in a days time when you don't have the AH around. (I left over a week ago with our 3 kids and moved back to my parents house on a small ranch) I use to be late every morning and this is with his help. Now I get up, get the kids ready and off to the sitters and school and I am actually on time, and I have to drive an extra 30 miles. When we get home they actually sit down for a good supper, play outside, have there bath my daughter does her homework and they are in bed by 9. There is no fussing or arguing. No crying. It is just amazing how different my kids have become. When we lived 'at home' with my AH he would send them off to there bedroom and I could not see them until supper and then again at bedtime. My three year old I have discovered is so loving. He came up to me the other afternoon and gave my a flower and smiled at me and I actually looked at him, really looked at him and saw how much he has grown into a 'little man' himself. My baby boy has learned to give great big hugs now. No more kisses for him. He also loves to dance when any kind music comes on. My daughter is still getting use to kindergarten so I am giving her a little special attention every evening.

This may not mean much to most, but it is a real accomplishment for us. I did have lunch with the husband yesterday and we did not talk about getting back together. I told him how the kid were doing and told them how well they were doing. He said that he has not had a drink since Friday night. I told him we were not going to rush it that I needed time for myself and that was all that was said about that.

RIGHT AT THIS VERY MOMENT LIFE IS LIVEABLE.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That warms the cockles of my heart.

Thank you for telling us about it.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is NOT a little thing hon.

That is amazing and Im sooooo thankful for your peace.

Congrads to you all!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you, and especially for your children.
RIGHT AT THIS VERY MOMENT LIFE IS LIVEABLE.
That's the best you can ask for, isn't it? Here's hoping you get many, many of those moments to string together.

L
Old 08-16-2006, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If nothing else you are getting to know your children, your
son in particular. When we are caretaking our alcholics,
we are really missing out on life.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Sounds WONDERFUL!!

Congrats!

K
Old 08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

your right LTD. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but today I am feeling good about it for some reason.

We had some bad storms here in south Mississippi last night and the lights went out for about 5 hours. My son and I laid in the bed and with the flashlight made those little hand shadows on the wall. It was fun, until it started to get hot. Reminded me of the Katrina days.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Life, that is just terrific. You're a very strong person and I admire you. Hugs to you and all your kids.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is awesome. Certainly worth posting for all of the others who are uncertain how things could possibly be. I know when I was at my moms, my kids were alot calmer and we had routines going. At home - its the same... ah stays in room on computer, kids have den playing xbox and seems to be fighting and chaos all the time.

I bet its a nice feeling to sit down in the evening for you now. (other than ah worrying you, I'm sure). Enjoy it and try to make that feeling last... no matter what. (I need to take my own advice here)
Old 08-16-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This means a lot for those of us who has experienced it. To see the difference in our children and most of all in ourselves. To understand we can function without them. To have peace and tranquilty in our home. I think all this is what helps us when we do have to talk to our AH. We don't have the anger; we can approach things with a different mind-set. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-16-2006, 04:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is huge, don't think for a second that it isn't. Good for you.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not a bad place to be....

I love stories like this. This is exactly how it was for me. My son is a totally different child now that I have taken him out of the alcoholic environment. Last year when my AH was living here, I was continuously late getting my son to school, usually because I was up crying half the night or playing private investigator, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get up in the morning to get my child to school on time. Now that all of the drama is out of the house, things just run so smooth and everything is so peaceful and everyone's in a great mood, less stress. It's awesome!!! I just keep asking myself what kind of role model was my AH for my son. Not a very good one. I started seeing my son pick up the same attitude that my AH had, which was not a very nice one. Since AH has been out of the house and divorce is final, things have been so wonderful. I can remember saying those same things, "well he hasn't had a drink in two weeks", and every time he'd come back home, that's just about how long it took for him to drink again, about two weeks. Nothing changes if nothing changes.