Notices

Best time to quit???

Old 08-09-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best time to quit???

Hi
I quit drinking over a month ago and know I'd like to quit smoking. I've tried many times over the past five years.

When is the best time to quit? I am thinking of taking some vacation time to do it as I know withdrawals are really bad. But I'm not sure. Should I just continue working and do it during the work week when I'm more busy? Should I pick a Sunday when I have less to do???

I'd like my quit date to be September 1st to give me enough time to prep.

Any suggestions or ideas???

I'm going to do acupuncture next week as it's one thing I haven't tried and have heard there's been some success with it.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hi Erin,

Here's a site you might find helpful:

http://unhooked.com/nosmoke/index.html
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is very good!!!

Thank you...

Any suggestions of when to quit????
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Erin,
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but this is just my opinion...take it if you want to - or don't. Let me first start by saying I've been sober for several years. I sponsor many women and have seen a lot of people come and go over the years. It is my opinion, and I tell my sponsees this, that I'd rather they get and stay sober a while before trying to tackle quiting smoking. By making the behavioral changes necessary to stop and stay stopped with drinking; you learn a lot of great tools for quiting smoking.

Now, if you are really intent on quiting soon....I made it a priority that if I was going to relapse, it would be smoking before drinking. Drinking will kill me a lot sooner than smoking will. Both addictions are serious; however, drinking is a whole lot more serious than smoking in the short-term. Smoking does not cause drunk driving, fighting, being arrested, killing myself, killing others, being reckless, etc. True, smoking isn't good for my body...but, there are a lot more immediate dangers with drinking than smoking.

Have you talked it over with your sponsor (if you're in AA)? Have you talked to other people who have quit drinking and smoking?

Believe me, I'm not trying to dissuade you from quiting smoking. It's wonderful living the benefits of not smoking. But, I'd be very, very careful and be very, very aware of signs of relapse. You can't afford complacency.

Best wishes,
Jen
Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying - that's why I've waited to do this.

I'm not overly concerned about relapsing. I think quitting smoking (tried many times) will be harder then drinking because:
1. Smoking for 15 years vs drinking for 2.5 years
2. Withdrawals - way worse smoking then drinking

As for a sponsor - no insult to AA but I haven't gone. I have a good support network and have no real desire to go. I'll see how I feel at a later point but not right now.

So as for quitting smoking... any suggestions on time?

p.s.
Please no comments are needed on AA. I have been fine without it - therapist, doctors, family, and friends plus multiple other things. I think it's up to the individual to explore various recovery options - I just haven't included AA in mine for a bunch of reasons.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Erin, I would say whenever you are ready is the right time. I just don't have any personal experience with nicotine addiction. Did you find anything on that website helpful? There is a lot of info there!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi DK
I did find a lot of the stuff on the website healthy. I'm going to see my doctor this week to talk to her more about it. If she strongly advises not taking it on right now I won't.
I do believe quitting smoking will be way harder then drinking!!!
Thanks for the comments!!!
Cheers
Old 08-13-2006, 07:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Erin,
And congrats on your quit drinking and your desire to quit smoking! It looks like you're really making good strides in making a better life for yourself!

I quit smoking Eight months, two weeks, one day, 16 hours, 45 minutes and 16 seconds ago. That's 10307 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,834.22. Life saved: 5 weeks, 18 hours, 55 minutes.

I quit while I was out of work -- on a stress leave!
Listen, when you are ready to quit and stay quit, you will. Period. Nothing will get in the way of that, when you are READY. I quit a million times before. I wasn't ready to STAY quit. Today, I am. I even found a full pack of ciggies and threw them away!

I went to smoke cessation counseling when I quit. The counselor said that quitting both together increases the odds of staying quit for both -- statistically. Statistics are not people, however. It's going to be up to you to use differernt behaviors to STAY quit.

I wish you the best and hope that you will join us here in the land of the smoke free. :>)

Shalom!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been sober for 20 days and also asking same question about smoking. Should I wait til I have been off alcohol awhile before I try to quit smoking- I have smoked off and on for around 15yrs and I have quit before.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Dear Need...
I think the answers are going to be the same as for Erin.
Read the stickies and other posts.
And be sure that you are willing to do whatever it takes to be smoke free. It's all about different behaviors, in my opinion. That choice of behaviors is what has worked for me.

Shalom!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks!!!!

I joined Quit Net - a website dedicated to people quitting smoking.

I'm on Day 3 now and it's not that bad. I think the tools of not drinking are applying to not smoking.

Also exercising and the gum have helped a lot.

I think if I was drinking I would not be able to do this because they go hand and hand.

One day at a time.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just joined QuitNet and set my date for a month from today, I hope I can do as well as you are, Thanks for the information.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Life!

Great to hear!!!
Please be sure to check in on our daily check in thread. Nothing like mutual support to keep us on track!

Need, we look forward to you joining us in the land of the smoke free!

I am now Eight months, three weeks, one day, 9 hours, 20 minutes and 47 seconds smoke free. That's 10575 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,907.82. Life saved: 5 weeks, 1 day, 17 hours, 15 minutes.

Shalom!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm trying right now. That's all I can do.

I've decided if I have to choose between drinking and smoking - I'll p/u the cigs for now. Not that I want out but I can't drink.

Cheers