Notices

The liver

Old 10-19-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The liver

Just a question on liver pain, I've had it for about 15 - 20 years. Been drinking for 30 odd. How long have you had pain? Did it ever go?
Old 10-19-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My liver pain didn't go away until I stopped drinking.

Have you been checked out, Dexter?

Best to get a formal diagnosis from a professional if the pain continues.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've stopped drinking and recently had blood tests which have come back ok according to the Dr. Cholesterol a little high and liver function a little high. Nothing to worry about. She did a physical exam also on my abdomen.
Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
My liver pain didn't go away until I stopped drinking.

Have you been checked out, Dexter?

Best to get a formal diagnosis from a professional.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I had liver pain progressively worse the last 10-15yrs after drinking for 25+.

It went away after I quit 14 months ago now.

I don't mean to sound alarming, but, the health of our livers as alcoholics is something I think we tend to take for granted, sadly, until the damage is irreversible and life-threatening. We only have one and it performs about 400 functions!

In my case, I waited 3 months after quitting to see the doctor, thinking a little time would help heal my liver. My initial bloodwork was so normal she told me I can have red wine.

It was a huge decision point in my sobriety. I could've accepted that and gone out and drank again. Instead, I said no way is my liver fine knowing my career in heavy drinking. I asked if there's another test and she set a CT scan.

Sure enough, my liver was 1.5cm enlarged and I was on the verge of alcoholic hepatitis at 7 months sober already. Abstinence is the only thing that will halt and hopefully reverse the damage I caused.

I mention this because I know exactly what most of us worry about in our continued drinking but are too afraid to face when it comes to our health. And, how easy it is for us to push away the real and serious consequences until we have no choice but to face the damage we all know we're doing.

A 2017 CDC report shows women ages 45-62 have had a 57% increase in annual mortality rates from cirrihos and alcohol-related diseases this past decade.

I hope all of us can quit while it's still a choice and not a consequence we can't undo.. 👍
Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also underestimated the damage I was doing to my liver. I was really unhealthy and overweight, with low energy, bad skin, terrible allergies. It wasn't until I started to heal that I appreciated how sick I was making myself. The tendency is always to minimize the consequences in our minds so we can continue the insanity.

I look and feel so different today than I did 2 1/2 years ago. I just got my ID renewed and I look younger than I did 5 years ago! My allergies and joint inflammation are gone. I weigh what I weighed in high school. I can't express how much better my mental and emotional health are. I have never been this well.

Alcohol is really bad for us. It corrupts the mind, body, and spirit.

If you are having liver pain, you should quit. And stay quit.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wholesome View Post
I also underestimated the damage I was doing to my liver. I was really unhealthy and overweight, with low energy, bad skin, terrible allergies. It wasn't until I started to heal that I appreciated how sick I was making myself. The tendency is always to minimize the consequences in our minds so we can continue the insanity.

I look and feel so different today than I did 2 1/2 years ago. I just got my ID renewed and I look younger than I did 5 years ago! My allergies and joint inflammation are gone. I weigh what I weighed in high school. I can't express how much better my mental and emotional health are. I have never been this well.

Alcohol is really bad for us. It corrupts the mind, body, and spirit.

If you are having liver pain, you should quit. And stay quit.
Encouraging to hear. Hoping my skin will clear up soon and could do with losing a half stone also!
Old 10-25-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never saw a doctor but I suspected my liver was enlarged when I was still drinking. I felt an increasing fullness in my abdomen in the area of the liver. It has gradually gone down after I stopped drinking 9 months ago. I didn't have any pain in the area of my liver that I remember, but my stomach was always burning due to gastritis so I was always in pain.

The liver can heal itself until you take it too far. My paranoia about liver damage was one of the main reasons I stopped. I saw my father in law die a slow painful death from cirrhosis and I can't do that to myself or my family.

SC
Old 10-25-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneofYou View Post
Yes, I had liver pain progressively worse the last 10-15yrs after drinking for 25+.

It went away after I quit 14 months ago now.

I don't mean to sound alarming, but, the health of our livers as alcoholics is something I think we tend to take for granted, sadly, until the damage is irreversible and life-threatening. We only have one and it performs about 400 functions!

In my case, I waited 3 months after quitting to see the doctor, thinking a little time would help heal my liver. My initial bloodwork was so normal she told me I can have red wine.

It was a huge decision point in my sobriety. I could've accepted that and gone out and drank again. Instead, I said no way is my liver fine knowing my career in heavy drinking. I asked if there's another test and she set a CT scan.

Sure enough, my liver was 1.5cm enlarged and I was on the verge of alcoholic hepatitis at 7 months sober already. Abstinence is the only thing that will halt and hopefully reverse the damage I caused.

I mention this because I know exactly what most of us worry about in our continued drinking but are too afraid to face when it comes to our health. And, how easy it is for us to push away the real and serious consequences until we have no choice but to face the damage we all know we're doing.

A 2017 CDC report shows women ages 45-62 have had a 57% increase in annual mortality rates from cirrihos and alcohol-related diseases this past decade.

I hope all of us can quit while it's still a choice and not a consequence we can't undo.. 👍
This is VERY close to my story. By all rights, I should have died of cirrhosis- I genuinely don't know how to describe the fact that I stayed this side of it other than a miracle.

My panels normalized about 100 days sober but I absolutely cannot ever ever ever drink again. There is just no way that I would survive.

I'm 3 yr 8 mo sober this wk. Everyone's story is a little different but the only way any of us can be the healthiest possible, which I am now (recent back surgery, thyroid med maintenance, and mental health meds are completely acceptable to me, along with beautiful hair, sleep problems, skinny jean size, needing glasses....) at 43, versus given a yr to 18 mo to live at 39....is to stay sober.