Notices

Four years sober

Old 10-21-2019, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four years sober

Hi. I just recently hit four years. This forum really helped me in the beginning. Thanks to everyone that posts encouragement and inspiration.

Although I have been alcohol free, I recently started smoking weed a few moths ago. I do not feel it has hindered my ability to stay alcohol free, which I know I have no control over. I’m sure most would be against the pot use but it’s quite minimal. The problem for me is that I feel guilty doing it secretly away from my wife and kids. I was a secret drinker and I don’t want to lose everything which is where I was four years ago.

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrts on your years alcohol free

About the pot - if it's no problem why do you have to do it in secret?

Pot and alcohol were the same for me - a dirty little secret that eventually took over my life and bought me to my knees.

If its something you have to hide, or you're ashamed of, maybe it's not that good for you?

I've been there twice, first with pot and then alcohol.

Lifes too short to only free one arm from the shackles

D
Old 10-22-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on four years.

I know if I went back to smoking pot, the floodgates would eventually open and I'd lose all control and drink again.
I agree with Dee. If you hide it and it makes you feel guilty why do it when that is also the way you drank?

Good going on four years. I hope, for you, that the weed doesn't lead you back to the bottle.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

Congrats on four years. I think it would be a good thing for you to be open with your wife about cannabis use. Not to get into any debate, but some folks find cannabis helpful for many things, but how it is used may make a huge difference in your long term goal of being alcohol free. I think personally, it can aid some, but it should not be hidden from a spouse. I think that as we are all different, what helps, hurts or is insignificant varies. "Hiding" something from an SO can be an issue. Being open and honest with ourselves and other is I think the best policy over the long haul.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Straightup View Post
Hi. I just recently hit four years. This forum really helped me in the beginning. Thanks to everyone that posts encouragement and inspiration.

Although I have been alcohol free, I recently started smoking weed a few moths ago. I do not feel it has hindered my ability to stay alcohol free, which I know I have no control over. I’m sure most would be against the pot use but it’s quite minimal. The problem for me is that I feel guilty doing it secretly away from my wife and kids. I was a secret drinker and I don’t want to lose everything which is where I was four years ago.

Thanks again.
Glad you're here with us and I'm happy that you brought up this issue.

Congrats on your sober time - 4 years is a great achievement.

I would not touch marijuana or any other recreational mind-altering drug with a 10-foot pole.

What are you trying to fix or adjust in your mind, body and soul that you think THC will remedy?

Are you working a plan of sobriety?

Or are you simply trying to stay away from alcohol (a good thing, to be sure, no doubt)?

I would stop using cannabis products immediately, unless you have metastatic cancer or some other ailment of that nature.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing with respect to this matter.

I think it's a very serious issue (at least it sure would be if I started back smoking pot).

Just my thoughts, amigo.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Straightup View Post

Thanks again.

I think you already know the answer. You've come here for us to tell you the same.

Personally I have one of those personality types. I understand that now. I am susceptible to things that can become addictive. I have to be careful with "me". I know am addicted to my art. That's safe.

Best wishes to you and hope you find your safe space.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Nice to see Dee is still killin it on here. Soberista sounds familiar too. How are you? Yes. I know the answer: stop ASAP! It’s one of those things where it was like before I quit (alcohol).. I couldn’t imagine my life without it. Then as the days turned to months and into years, I was truly in the happiest stage of my life being completely sober. I’ve been so on point at work and my mind had been so sharp. I’ve only started smoking pot a few months ago (about one small hit out of a one hitter pipe per day after work) and I’m already feeling the side effects. My short term memory sucks and my motivation to work to my full potential is decreasing. The reason I started smoking pot is because I truly believe it’s not bad if used in moderation. I do understand it’s a drug but it doesn’t destroy (my life) like alcohol. However, once a day is not moderately. At first it was once a month and has turned into daily use. I’m going down that old road again. Alcohol is the real devil for me and don’t want pot to be the gateway. This was all over the place so thanks for reading til the end of you did. You all are amazing!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

As several other people have alluded to, I'm the problem, not the drugs I take.

I am sure that some people can use/smoke in moderation... just as some can drink in moderation.

You're not likely to find those people here on this side of the boards though....

I know I'm not one of those people - and accepting that was a great sense of freedom for me.

I'm living life the way I truly believe it's meant to be lived.
D