Notices

Foods to help withdrawals

Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Foods to help withdrawals

I'm experiencing some pretty nasty withdrawals at the moment and have been eating a lot of Chinese food, fried chicken, sugary snacks like brownies and general junk.

What food and / or drinks would people recommend to ease the initial pain. I know foods rich in thiamine but do I have that covered in the ridiculous amount of chicken I'm eating?

I know there are threads with guidelines and what not but just curious to hear about the experiences of others
Old 02-07-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, anything that I could keep down! Chicken noodle soup with crackers, tea with honey, if I could keep fatty foods down I tried to pick healthy fats like a stir fry in coconut oil, banana’s and really push the fluids. I drank a lot of h20 with lemon or apple cider vinegar, Gatorade. I also made sure to take a multivitamin. Hope you feel better! Withdrawal stinks.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I didn't eat any junkie food. I drank coconut water and teas. I ate eggs, fresh fruit and plain non-fat yogurt, soups & salads and grilled salmon. Basically, I ate "clean". If I had a sweet tooth, I ate peanut butter and raisens.
I do take multi-vitamins and extra b vites but, that is because I don't eat meat.
Behappy has some great advice, too! Stay hydrated.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Brian. There are really no foods or supplements that will "ease the pain", withdrawal is a response by your body of not having alcohol in your system anymore. Certainly eating a healthy diet and water is good for your general health, but there is no magic cure for WD's. If the WD"s are severe enough, sometimes drugs are prescribed to prevent seizures or other symptoms, but there is no pill or supplement that will take away the bad feelings - they simply have to pass.

This was discussed pretty thoroughly in your last thread about hangovers/withdrawals too - you may want to revisit it as well. Have you decided to stop drinking completely yet?
Old 02-07-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dr Bob, one of the founders of AA, used to prescribe tomato juice, karo syrup and sauerkraut to newly sober drunks. This was in the mid 1930's.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There aren't any foods that ease withdrawal. Withdrawal is just a trial we must go through when we drink as alcoholics, from its beginning to its end.

Sorry you're going through it. It can be a bitch to get this thing right in our thick heads. If life hadn't gotten so awful I wouldn't have quit, i was too addicted to it.

Hope you have a day of reckoning that isn't too destructive for you.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I ate a lot of fruit, things like grapes, strawberries, apples.

The natural sugar helped me with the craving for the 1st 24 hours. but like others have said, it's gonna suck. I remember curling up in a ball on my couch trying to watch movies for 8 hours straight. I cried, I screamed, I paced every 1/2 hour, but I survived. You can do this, get past the worst hump, the 1st 24 hours. Each day will start to feel better and better, if it sounds good, eat it. Just don't drink.....

Old 02-07-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know of any foodstuff that eases withdrawal - a mate of mine used to swear on vegemite - makes sense with its vitamin B - but I think a lot of folks would baulk at the smell and taste.

D
Old 02-08-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
G-Woman

For me it was a lot of comfort foods, lots of water and liquids in general. It was way too early for me think about eating 'healthy', so I indulged in whatever I felt like just to get me through the day without drinking.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post
For me it was a lot of comfort foods, lots of water and liquids in general. It was way too early for me think about eating 'healthy', so I indulged in whatever I felt like just to get me through the day without drinking.
That pretty much sums it up for me. Am eating like a horse and it's mainly junk! But it's helping. Home to the family this weekend and looking forward to rib of beef with all the trimmings. So much better than drowning myself in beer. Ugh.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As for me, there aren't any foods that ease withdrawal...
Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ice cream was a life saver for me. Somebody told me about that here on SR and it was genius. Your body is going to be missing all that sugar and this works great for cravings. Good job and I have 100% faith in you.
It will all be worth quitting alcohol, but it's not always easy......
Peace
TC
Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
Dr Bob, one of the founders of AA, used to prescribe tomato juice, karo syrup and sauerkraut to newly sober drunks. This was in the mid 1930's.
That’s wild. Maybe to induce vomiting, just kidding. But YUCK!!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Seriously though

I think anything that will refresh and hydrate..oranges for example pedialyte? Not gatoraid or energy drinks..too much sugar
Something healthy fatty and starchy to calm the belly. Maybe a nice egg and avocado (hell, an entire avocado!) sandwich or a hearty stew. I know my stomach does flip flops.
Fiber
Vitamins
Balanced diet if you can
Also, not skipping meals
Old 02-12-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Several posts have been removed from this thread, a reminder that medical advice, even about OTC supplements, is not allowed per forum policy.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

aside from just eating healthy foods. a couple biggies for me where herbal tea's I think the process of making tea was calming regardless of the type of tea. I also would take a little apple cider vinegar i felt this calmed my anxiety a fair amt in those early days.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't know of any foodstuff that eases withdrawal - a mate of mine used to swear on vegemite - makes sense with its vitamin B - but I think a lot of folks would baulk at the smell and taste.

D
lol I read some article a while back about how that stuff can help with anxiety. I bought some boy is it salty lol. it doesnt taste half bad tho. keep in mind i'm in the states so this was an all new wierd food to me lol.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yep, ice cream did it for me. Not for the physical symptoms necessarily, but for an urge or craving. Eat a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's you won't feel like drinking! The sweet tooth does subside, hang in there.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My withdrawal foods usually were a big breakfast with lots of eggs, meat and bread; salty snacks throughout the day; cheeseburger and fries for dinner; tons of sparkling water.

Not very healthy, but it's what I did.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Someone who I *thought* was a friend gifted me a jar of Vegemite.

;-)