Notices

Need Help quitting alcohol

Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help quitting alcohol

Hi - I am back again - seems when life's situations get very tough I always turn to beer. I have been drinking since age 15 and now I am 61. It is at it's worst at this point - I can't go to a rehab for reasons I can't discuss here, and I hope I am not breaking rules by asking this question, but HOW do I quit from home.
My Pdoc gave me the needed "things" to help but I can't seem to get day one under my belt. Any ideas? Also, The closest AA meeting is about 10 miles from me, and tried it, and I was not accepted nicely....Other meetings are over 20 miles from me and I can't do that either - I need to get started from home SOMEHOW and fast.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have found a great place to help in your recovery. Read lots and post often.
Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
Hi - I am back again - seems when life's situations get very tough I always turn to beer. I have been drinking since age 15 and now I am 61. It is at it's worst at this point - I can't go to a rehab for reasons I can't discuss here, and I hope I am not breaking rules by asking this question, but HOW do I quit from home.
My Pdoc gave me the needed "things" to help but I can't seem to get day one under my belt. Any ideas? Also, The closest AA meeting is about 10 miles from me, and tried it, and I was not accepted nicely....Other meetings are over 20 miles from me and I can't do that either - I need to get started from home SOMEHOW and fast.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's actually very simple...but not easy. It sounds like you can have a relatively good start, I'm assuming your doc gave you medications for withdrawals. First you need to make an ironclad, irrevocable decision to stop drinking with no reservations. For the first few days be gentle and kind to yourself. Take the medication as directed, start reading a good book, read and post here, watch some good movies on TV, just don't drink! After 4 or 5 days, you'll start feeling a little better, you may get cravings to drink. Don't! Think about the reasons you decided to quit in the first place. After a few weeks you feel markedly better, your sleep will be better. Find things to do that you enjoy that don't involve alcohol, read recovery literature, read here, post here, get involved with sober life.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done for posting You've already taken the first step! I can't say more than John and the others have said, but I can add that having come through those first 5 days, it's amazing just how fantastic I feel. It's not easy, but it is doable and SO worth it.
You obviously have made the decision to stop, so how about letting us all help by reading, posting and just generally being here for you?

You CAN do this!!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeUK View Post
Well done for posting You've already taken the first step! I can't say more than John and the others have said, but I can add that having come through those first 5 days, it's amazing just how fantastic I feel. It's not easy, but it is doable and SO worth it.
You obviously have made the decision to stop, so how about letting us all help by reading, posting and just generally being here for you?

You CAN do this!!
I know that drinking doesn't solve anything - but all I can say is I am going through hell with stuff going on around me - I co-signed a loan for my son to get a used car and he quit his job-I can't make payments I can lose my house - My daughter is going through divorce and there are custody issues with my granddaughter - I can't imagine losing her. I am a damn mess!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know that drinking doesn't solve anything - but all I can say is I am going through hell with stuff going on around me - I co-signed a loan for my son to get a used car and he quit his job-I can't make payments I can lose my house - My daughter is going through divorce and there are custody issues with my granddaughter - I can't imagine losing her. I am a damn mess!
You say you know that drinking doesn't solve anything and then you say "but". But what? Will the problems you listed be made any better by drinking? Will they go away? No, they won't. See, the damn thing is there is no good time to quit drinking. There will ALWAYS be problems you can list after the "but". So, might as well bite the bullet and quit now and not wait for a time without "buts" to come. You could be waiting a long time.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
You say you know that drinking doesn't solve anything and then you say "but". But what? Will the problems you listed be made any better by drinking? Will they go away? No, they won't. See, the damn thing is there is no good time to quit drinking. There will ALWAYS be problems you can list after the "but". So, might as well bite the bullet and quit now and not wait for a time without "buts" to come. You could be waiting a long time.
I know this John - I quit for a full year - my son turned 18 and we shared a bottle of wine and I never stopped after that - I got the shakes as I type here - I have the meds but feel like reaching for a beer -STUPID isn't it!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know this John - I quit for a full year - my son turned 18 and we shared a bottle of wine and I never stopped after that - I got the shakes as I type here - I have the meds but feel like reaching for a beer -STUPID isn't it!!!
Cool, then you know you have it in you to stop again. You don't lose the knowledge you gained when sober.

Yeah, I know about the shakes. I get them bad. The shakes and the insomnia, for me, are the worst part of quitting. We both know that they go away though and that a beer, while it may calm the shakes for a little bit, will just push sobriety out a little further.

I have 76 days now after my last relapse. The shakes are long gone. I'm sleeping like a baby. Although I have some very serious problems, I'm working through them calmly with only negligible anxiety at times. I feel good and I want sobriety more than anything.

You can do this Bluesman. Please keep posting and keep us updated.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bluesman! Proud of you for coming back and seeking sobriety once again. I know you can do it.

It's so hard for us to let go of the thing we've always used to cope. We think it's helping us, but it does just the opposite. (I realize you already know this.) It took me years to admit there was no relief to be found by getting numb and foggy. It only made everything much more horrible and insurmountable. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I hope being here with us will help you find some solutions. We're on your side.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
Cool, then you know you have it in you to stop again. You don't lose the knowledge you gained when sober.

Yeah, I know about the shakes. I get them bad. The shakes and the insomnia, for me, are the worst part of quitting. We both know that they go away though and that a beer, while it may calm the shakes for a little bit, will just push sobriety out a little further.

I have 76 days now after my last relapse. The shakes are long gone. I'm sleeping like a baby. Although I have some very serious problems, I'm working through them calmly with only negligible anxiety at times. I feel good and I want sobriety more than anything.

You can do this Bluesman. Please keep posting and keep us updated.
I fully intend to get this done - I told my wife I am going to stay with a friend for a few days - He doesn't drink and he will not let me either. Once I get past day 1....I am usually OK - I don't know why I keep reaching for a beer when I wake up in total horrors the next day. Wish me luck...I need to get this done!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Bluesman! Proud of you for coming back and seeking sobriety once again. I know you can do it.

It's so hard for us to let go of the thing we've always used to cope. We think it's helping us, but it does just the opposite. (I realize you already know this.) It took me years to admit there was no relief to be found by getting numb and foggy. It only made everything much more horrible and insurmountable. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I hope being here with us will help you find some solutions. We're on your side.
Thanks! I am almost in tears right now - my hands are shaking badly - I am a good guitar player and I can't even hold the guitar steady - God help me...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just like Joe C. said, "Believe".

It only starts with abstinence and I know you know that. Hang in there, get passed those withdrawal symptoms and stay off the beer. Tough it out and get a few days in, that's the only way you are going to start getting back to the sobriety you want. If you keep giving in you'll keep struggling. You can do it, find the strength inside you.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hope I am not breaking rules by asking this question, but HOW do I quit from home.

Easy. Go to the Rational Recovery website and click on "Crash Course on AVRT."
Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered online meetings Bluesman - most recovery groups have them these days ?

D
Old 08-13-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If the doc knows how much you are drinking and how often ,he can pescribe the correct meds .

Take the med before you have a chance to drink a beer ,FWIW - the meds will stop the shakes .

BEEN THERE DONE THAT !
Old 08-13-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you considered online meetings Bluesman - most recovery groups have them these days ?

D
No - I am determined to get to meetings at this point - Online is OK AFTER you quit....but at this point, I may as well sit here with a beer and do online. If I can spend 7 bucks a day on cheap beer, I can spend 10 bucks a day on gas and do this right.
Much Love!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
If the doc knows how much you are drinking and how often ,he can pescribe the correct meds .

Take the med before you have a chance to drink a beer ,FWIW - the meds will stop the shakes .

BEEN THERE DONE THAT !
I have the meds he prescribed..It is now up to me to choose...I WILL conquer this...
Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Blues, I've been doing tons of music writing since I got sober. If you are software savvy maybe you could upload some melodies sober. I found it a great motivator in the first few months and I still use the finished songs as a source of sober pride.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Hey Blues, I've been doing tons of music writing since I got sober. If you are software savvy maybe you could upload some melodies sober. I found it a great motivator in the first few months and I still use the finished songs as a source of sober pride.

I am 61 years old, computer savvy, but if I send you a link to my music, it may sound too "Pop", and very dated, but you can hear my guitar and make a comment - how do I provide you with a link? Can I do it on this website
Old 08-17-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Blues, I too am a fellow guitar player. 6 days sober today bro! Yes crap in ur life makes it harder to quit, but when do you NOT have crap in your life? Think about it!? You can do this you just have to want it more than the beer. All I can say is I feel great and I want you to get here too man! You can!