Notices

First meeting in over two years

Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dismember

First meeting in over two years

Just got home.

Hi, my name's (not really) Isaiah and I'm an alcoholic.

Kind of questioning why I'd ever stopped going in the first place. I honestly don't have a solid reason. Granted I'm not crazy about the meeting format I've seen here in Oregon, but a preference is no excuse.

A little eye-opening. I had been thinking I haven't been handling this minor situation in my life very well. Tonight was an 11th step discussion and listening to people's shares confirmed it that I haven't been utilizing that step as I ought to be.

So will I be back? Definitely. I may not have drank since I left the program, but I ought to know, and I think any AA-ers would agree, that truly long-term sobriety takes more than just bare abstention.

Thanks, SR. For giving me some rant space.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What step were you working when you stopped attending meetings ?

Not trying to be snarky, just curious.......
Old 07-03-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Just got home.

Hi, my name's (not really) Isaiah and I'm an alcoholic.

Kind of questioning why I'd ever stopped going in the first place. I honestly don't have a solid reason. Granted I'm not crazy about the meeting format I've seen here in Oregon, but a preference is no excuse.

A little eye-opening. I had been thinking I haven't been handling this minor situation in my life very well. Tonight was an 11th step discussion and listening to people's shares confirmed it that I haven't been utilizing that step as I ought to be.

So will I be back? Definitely. I may not have drank since I left the program, but I ought to know, and I think any AA-ers would agree, that truly long-term sobriety takes more than just bare abstention.

Thanks, SR. For giving me some rant space.
Right on:

AA's Step 1: " We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable."

Step 1 to me is a 2 part text. Alcohol is only mentioned in the first half of Step 1 and not again in any of the other Steps. My life today can still become unmanageable because of my "ISM" of alcoholism.
Simply put .. I have a lot more to learn (overcome) than quitting drinking and the 12 Steps lead me toward the truth and the light.

I will have 24 yrs sober in a couple of weeks, haven't entertained the thought of drinking for decades, and continue to work my program and pass it on.

2 statements in HOW IT WORKS have been eating at me lately ....
1) "Half measures availed us nothing"
2) "We asked His protection and care with complete abandon."

I have work to do on both counts.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i met quite a few people who tried to be sober on their own
i'm sure it works for some people
but
meetings
and the program help more
Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Somewhere in the amends I think.

Don't think it was the thought of working a particular step that drove me off; I'd been through the twelve with sponsors and all. I guess it would've been pertinent to mention that I stopped going right after I moved across the country.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back, glad we didn't lose you!! It's easy to forget to make our recovery a priority, especially after a cross country move. Happy for you!!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Right on:

AA's Step 1: " We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable."

Step 1 to me is a 2 part text. Alcohol is only mentioned in the first half of Step 1 and not again in any of the other Steps. My life today can still become unmanageable because of my "ISM" of alcoholism.
Exactly where I'm sitting now with regards to AA.

I think I've shown a good deal of commitment to things that have enabled my sobriety these couple years--namely therapy, church and some SR--but you got it right on the nail with the "ISM."

My problems have never really been stress problems, "atheist problems" or abstinence problems. They're alcoholism problems; which aren't cured because I haven't been drinking. That my life's gotten increasingly better and more manageable wasn't a necessary aftereffect of not drinking--not drinking just means not making it worse--and I know my life's luck could turn at any moment.

Fraankie,

I have, to be quite honest, felt pretty good about my last couple years of sobriety outside of AA or meetings (2 years out of AA, 2 & 8 months sober.) I think it's plausible that I could keep carrying on just fine. But of course I'd have to be insane to make decisions about my recovery based on curiosity and experiment.

I also mentioned in another thread on another board that I'm also doing AA partly for selfish, material reasons. I lost my license back in 2008 and am now going through the process of trying to get it back. In the state I lost it the laws are pretty harsh, and to get re-instated I have to prove my sobriety to a court.

Something I gladly accept. Ultimately I'm getting sober for myself, but I acknowledge too that I owe something to my family, friends and community as well and that actions speak the loudest.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Isaiah - I, too, quit going to meetings after I made a significant move. I went to one meeting in my new state. I stayed sober for about 2 more years (14 years total), then drank. I've been drinking now for about, I think, 15 years and have 17 days sober.

Kudos to you for going back to what works.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good to see you back too Dylan.

My sponsor told me if I didn't leave I wouldn't have to come back.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also mentioned in another thread on another board that I'm also doing AA partly for selfish, material reasons. I lost my license back in 2008 and am now going through the process of trying to get it back. In the state I lost it the laws are pretty harsh, and to get re-instated I have to prove my sobriety to a court.
Go back to AA, renew your commitment and grow.

Go back to AA and recoup your license.

I believe your HP has blessed you with a win/win situation ....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dismember

Win-win for sure. At first, before I'd gone to the meetings, I did actually feel a little guilty like I was just using the program to get my license back. But now I see that was just some distorted thinking. Two years hence but I can still recite "How It Works" word-for-word from memory. Might've gone on vacation but I'm right back where I never should've left off.

Went to another meeting, my second now, at noon today. Went well. A much smaller meeting, maybe 15 people instead of 40. I felt great being there at the time. I left feeling disappointed, which I think is resentment that I didn't get enough attention as the "new guy." Oh, the self-centered nonsense I'm capable of! Guess I'll just have to go back tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Good to see you back too Dylan.
My sponsor told me if I didn't leave I wouldn't have to come back.
Bob R
NOW you tell me. Heh heh, j/k.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you!
~Being a dry drunk, is terrible.
Glad you are coming back.
Trudge the road of Happy Destiny with us

p.s. maybe start a meeting with the format you desire?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dismember

I didn't find it really all that terrible to be quite honest. The last couple years of my life (no AA) have been the best I've had in almost as long as I can remember. I had several years of AA experience plus other recovery tools like SR to work with so I wasn't completely at a loss. But I figure being back in AA again can only do me good, and five meetings later I'm convinced it will.

It would be cool to attend a meeting with the format I'm used to. All my previous AA was in Ann Arbor (AA in AA!) so not too far from your locale (I'm a native Michigan kid.) I just don't know if it'd be worth the time and energy to create my own. I don't mind the Oregon system so much.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thuggybear View Post
Good for you!
~Being a dry drunk, is terrible.
Glad you are coming back.
Trudge the road of Happy Destiny with us

p.s. maybe start a meeting with the format you desire?
I am unaware there are meetings on SR. Can someone pleases direct me to what part of the site, the schedule, etc...
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
skg

Integrity

truly long-term sobriety takes more than just bare abstention.
Step 5 says I'm to tell the truth about myself (and what I'm thinking) to another person before God. Integrity. I'm lazy, but I like the idea of others doing the heavy lifting with me, so when they said, "A problem shared is a problem cut in half," I understood that to mean the everyday little stuff, too.

Incidentally, for those taking notes at home, it only works when I say it out loud before another in God's sight. Something happens when I am honest with myself before others. I am to learn willingness and humility and I can only do that out in the open. Hovering over a keyboard may titillate the mind, but it's been my experience that true recovery takes actions to activate it within my heart.

Thank you, Isaiah-Not, for sharing your Experience, Strength and Hope.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dismember

Originally Posted by Kathleen41 View Post
I am unaware there are meetings on SR. Can someone pleases direct me to what part of the site, the schedule, etc...
Yes, Kathleen!

Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I haven't participated in any of them before, but SR does have meetings via chat here.