Notices

Step(s) 2 & 3 Question

Old 07-28-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Step(s) 2 & 3 Question

Hi All;
I believe very strongly that I have a higher power that works in my life and that he (I choose to call my HP he) can restore me to sanity. I am 100% positive of this. So...my sponsor wants me to write about it.
What am I supposed to write for this and Step 3?
I want to keep moving and I feel stuck.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that you are willing to offer.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmm, my (previous) sponsor didn't make me write anything down for steps 1, 2 and 3, we did it strictly by the book which doesn't require you to write anything for your first 3 steps.

But if I were in your shoes, I would write down why you believe in your HP, what your idea of your HP is, and what you think Step 3 means to you - like why you think step 3 is so important and what it means to have God's will be done, not yours.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves
could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

TTOSBT,

For starters, you might want to research at the following; http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/step-2/ and http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/step-3/.

Also, reading the Big Book through Chapter 5, How it works and the Twelve and Twelve on Steps 2 and 3.

Best to you.

Ron
Old 07-28-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I didn't do any writing for steps 2 or 3 in AA either. My sponsor was like, do you believe, and I was like yep. She said, say the prayer (in the BB) which I did, and then we moved on to me taking my inventory.

However, I am also a member of Al Anon and for steps 2 there I wrote 2 lists. 1st list what I think my god/hp is or is, as in character i.e. loving, forgiving etc.. 2nd list what I want god/hp to be.

Then for step 3 I fired the old god and hired the new god via letter. It had quite a profound effect on me.

A friend of mine who was also an AA member attending Al Anon said she had got a concept of a hp/god from AA BUT that while it was big and strong (because in AA it is like get god or die), the branches, if compared to a tree, were a bit bare. The Al Anon way made my god/hp a bit more personal for me.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I like that, Liz. The first person I remember talking to about the steps suggested something similar - with the two lists.

As far as writing about it... I didn't write, either.

I took the first step before all the crap was out of my system, took it formally again with my sponsor, and for the second step, we read the Big Book and discussed what the step really meant. Why did I need to be restored to sanity? In what ways was I insane? On what was I basing my belief that a HP could restore me to this much-needed sanity? (for me - it was the "proof" that other recovering and recovered people were different now than they had been - so it must be able to work for me, too).

For the third step, we again read the Big Book and then examined how well my will had steered my life. I will tell you that it wasn't well at all, so if I wanted life to be better and to be relieved of the symptoms of my alcoholism, I had a decision to make. Once I made that decision, I opened my notebook and started writing my fourth step. I used the developing faith of the second and third step to see me through it, and when I reached the seventh, I had a pile of stuff to surrender.

Although I don't "require" sponsees to write on the first three steps, I can see the value in it now that I've become comfortable sharing, in writing, on those steps. I have one who has chosen to keep a recovery journal, and she showed me her entries labeled, "Step One," "Step Two," and "Step Three." Although nothing happens in a vacuum when taking the steps (they're all related and all necessary), we did discuss it and agreed that the 4th step should be in a notebook all its own.

I have no idea if that holds anything of value to you. Your steps are the basis of your program - guided by the program. Good luck to you. Keep trudging!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My experience is that there are plenty of writing assignments between 1 and 8. I did these as suggested, and now I pass them on to my guys. At 1 I wrote an unamanageability list. At 2 a God list. Simply God is_____. That list is growing. This is a writing assignment that we never went over. It was not necesary, for it was my conception of God. We never talked about my sponsor's conception of God either. Again, it's not necesary, it's his. At step 3 I had to answer some simple questions...Am I convinced that a life run on self will can hardly be a success? If so, can I make a decision to quit playing God? Step 3 prayer. Step 4 lots of writing 3 list 4 column inventory. Step 5 talking. Step 6 more writing examples of my character defects drunk and sober. Step 7 prayer. Step 8 list of people and institutions I have harmed. There are lots of assignments in the first 164 pages of the Big Book.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Step Two:

In what ways did alcohol make my life insane?

How did drinking affect my jobs, relationships etc?

What are some examples of insane behaviour?

What are some examples of a Power Greater than myself?

What does a Higher Power mean to me? What are some of the characteristics of this Higher Power?

How is this Higher Power supposed to restore me to sanity?

What does "Came to believe" mean to me?

What are some of the things I "believe" in?

.....are just a few of the questions you can write on. If you work with your sponsor on this I am sure he will be able to guide you on some other area that require scrutiny.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Peter,
Thank you so much!
I wrote over 20 pages on my First step and feel like I covered insanity as well as unmanageability so I was a little stuck. But those questions do help!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/.../stepguide.htm

My sponsor is NA I found this guide invaluable - I needed the rigour of answering on and writing each step to really make me think and also not gloss over it. I foiund it amazingly helpful.

You are doing soooo good!!!

Well done!

cathy31x

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/.../stepguide.htm
Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

God as we understood Him.
You know there is a lot of benefit to writing, for me it takes thoughts that may be spinning wildly in my head and pins them down on paper to where the spinning stops and I can see in a solid form what my thoughts are.

I have sponsee's do some writing for almost every step, but that writing is strictly for them, we do discuss what they learned in writing things down, and will cover anything they may be uncomfortable with or have questions on, but I have never taken what they wrote and read it unless they asked me to.

When it comes to some ones HP, well to me it is none of my business what their HP is to them, I ask them if their HP is more powerful then them or alcohol and if they are capable of having faith in their HP's power to help them?

I realize what I said is probably not helping you TTOSBT, but it is the way I was taken through the steps, and the way I have taken my sponsee's through the steps. I share with my sponsee's that I do have a HP that works for me, but I also emphasize that they need to find thier own HP that they understand, not mine.

I might suggest you simply write what is in your heart, find a quiet spot, say a simple prayer seeking an answer, sit quietly and wait, when it comes to you pick up the pen and paper and write, turn it over to your HP and he will guide the pen.

I really feel there is no wrong answer, because it is your answer, not mine nor your sponsor's.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Writing is the key to learning. As a child, I repeated had to write on the blackboard; I learned, I just didn't obey.

Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our personal adventure before and after make clear three pertinent ideas:
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

Being convinced, we were at Step Three, which is that we decided to turn our will and our life over to God as we understood Him. Just what do we mean by that, and just what do we do?

At the end of How it Works, Chapter Five is the beginning of Step Three. Reading and reading Chapters 4 and 5 will give you some guidance on how best to write out your experience with these Steps as well asd the changes you will make in your new life.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I did not do any writing on those steps,but I have had friends who did and most followed this simple example
they got a piece of paper
and drew a line down the middle from top to bottom
on the left side,they listed their old or present conception of God that did not work,and on the right they wrote a good conception they could use.They then tore the piece in half down the middle and threw the left part away,and when they prayed,they would look over the remaining piece first at their new conception
Old 07-30-2008, 02:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very incisive questions Peter, I found the very helpful and it never hurts to revisit those Steps and look again at the insanity of alcoholism.

Mala
Old 07-30-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol was not alone in creating the insane man; I was equally culpable by attempting to use my power over and over. There is more to Alcoholic insanity that simply returning to a drink after a period of not drinking.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I personally did no writing on steps 1 through three. I found the specific guidance in the Big Book was quite sufficient. I do understand how people can benefit from this. It is just not how I practice the steps. I came into the rooms beaten. Had I tried to analyze every aspect of insanity I would have been driven that much further. There is healing in simplicity. Alll I needed to know to make headway in AA was:

1. I cannot drink at all. Ever! I will die!
2. AA can help me do what I cannot do on my own (live without drinking!)
3. Read pg 63, make a commitment to work the remaining steps to the best of my ability
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me through this.
I am going to get on to Step 4 by 90 days. That is my goal and that is in one week so off I go to write...
Old 07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

a sponsee and myself are going thru the steps in depth and we are currently using questions.Here are the 16 2nd step questions we are using.It take some effort and honesty and work.(which is definitely not going to hurt this alkie)

Step 2
We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity

Focus- Belief: making a decision about God

1.Change focus of the set aside prayer

God,please let me set aside everything that I think I know about myself,my fears,my alcoholism/addiction ,the 12 steps & you God,for a open mind & a new experience with myself,my fears,the 12 steps, & you God.....pls show me the truth.

2. Write out your answers
A.What areas of your life are you living as if you don`t need power other than your own?
B.What areas of your life are you living as if you control the Power of God that you do have?
C.Who is God?How do you currently define/describe your Higher Power?What qualities does your current Higher Power have?What do you really believe?

3. Read Chapter 4,We Agnostics of the Big Book,Appendix II (rear of book)and pages 9-16.Highlight what speaks to you.Pick out the 5 most important concepts and write them out in your own words.

4.Use a different color highlight or underline every word or statement that helps you to identify what you disbelieve,feel resistance ,or have some doubt or skepticism in Chapter 4.

5.Once you complete 1-4 (above)review your highlighted or underlined words in Chapter 4,in prayer,with regard to Step 2.First consideration,(BB Page 47) “Do I now believe or am I willing to believe…”
That this Power can take me beyond where I am now in every area of my life?(See BB Page 52)
a.consider: what is my descision?
b.write about your doubt!

6.Rough;ly review your work on steps one and two so far.
A mechanical review-do you have any doubt?
b.prayerful review-
*physical craving
*mental obsession
*spiritual malady
*doubt and step 2

7.Step 2-second consideration- “ we had to fearlessly face the proposition that God is everything or else He is nothing.(BB Page 53)

8.Consider: what is your choice to be?

9.consider this question-where and how were we to find this power?(BB,Page 45)
10.Review the possible answers contained in the third and fourth paragraphs on Big Book ,Page 55
a.How…
*search fearlessly
*think honestly
*search diligently
b.where:
*we found the Great reality deep down inside us.In the last analysis it is only there He may be found.

11.(para 4,Page 55,BB)what does the word attitiude mean?

12.Read and highlight step2 two in the 12x12.

13.Re-read chapter 4 of the BB,Highlight every positive word that helps you go from your new willingness to believe in this Power ,and it can take you beyond where you are with every area of your life.

14.with this focus(God is everything or nothing),what qualities or attributes do you need God to have today?

15.as a helpful guide,write out your answers to these questions
a.how well do you do on your own power?
b.how well do you do with the Power you`ve been given?
c.how do you try to control the Power of God?

16.Write out a spontaneous response in connection with whatever flows out of you after a prayerful mental review of your first 2 steps.
One page if possible,but stop when necessary.

17.Meet with me and we`ll discuss our findings.
Great Job!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I actually wrote at step 2 - but it was just to track thought more than anything...

I was asked to answer the following: "Have you ever felt at total peace? "

I suppose I could have written about how well alcohol worked and made me feel at one with the world (alcohol worked incredibly well for me - my story is not all doom and gloom, there was a period of time where I was VERY happy as a drinker - even as a heavy drinker).

What I actually wrote down were the times there was no direct influence (chemical, excercise etc) - and everything was as it should be. I wrote about the times that, for no reason at all, everything was perfect - even though outside circumstance may have been bad - my spirit was still, calm, no fight.

Then we discussed it. Could I produce this feeling any time I wanted to? No way.

More and more I set aside MY thoughts, MY beliefs. An inkling grew in my heart that something could produce that affect on me (peace, sanity, stillness) - and I had NO idea what it was, and I could never hope to.

BUT I could be open to that power - whatever it may be.

For years I thought that I had to have an understanding - just to find out that my understanding is that I don't have one at all.

I was willing to go for it and took step 3.