Notices

Telling on myself

Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling on myself

ok... it has been since last monday July 23rd.. since I have been to an AA meeting...

<excuse warning>
I know I made the choice twice to excercise instead of going to a meeting... because I am training for a 1/2 marathon and needed to get some running or cross training in...

Quit my job and I am starting a new one in two weeks.. I have been trying to finish up some work before I go and use that as an excuse not to make time...

Anyways... I know when I return some folks are going to scold me... but I need not seek their approval...

I am sober! Have no desire to drink... do not feel compelled to do much... am a bit in a lull... I don't have the urge to go to a meeting... but I don't have desire not to go either... on that note the only thing of late that I have felt the urge to do is run... and bike... (excercise)...

ok... so I thought I would just tell on myself... and say I need to get to at least 1 meeting a week... and when I go to 2 or more I definitely have a better emotional state... so I need to plan out when I am going to go...

OH and BTW tomorrow is 6 months for me... 2/3/2007 is my sobriety date... so today is 180 days... but tomorrow is 8/3/2007... I should go tomorrow as a personal private celebration... I might even hit 2 meetings tomorrow... a noon and an 8:00...

;-)
Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Half a cake tomorrow! Try to fit in the meetings, they will help you maintain the gift you have had for the last 180 days.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for telling! I think you're reaching out because you know you need more meetings.
I've got lots of excuses/justifications for not going too, but that's all they are - excuses.
So - I'll play devil's advocate here and hope that you would do the same for me? if you start putting other things before your sobriety (marathon training - work) you will lose them. If you didn't have 6 months, I dare say you wouldn't be feeling well enough to train for such a physical challenge.
I go to 4-5 a week right now, and relapse prevention twice a week. I've relapsed twice in the last 6 years, and I'm not taking any more chances.
It doesn't mean you need to go every day, but I certainly don't think 1 meeting is enough for anybody - 20 years or 6 months.
I'm done!

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Just a thought, this is how I've gone to meetings when I "felt fine and couldn't fit one in". Sleep an hour less and do your exercising before or after the meeting.

I've cut back on meetings, then I start going less and less, pretty soon there's no real reason to go at all, and then I start heading back towards old behaviors. Nowadays, it just feels healthier to make a meeting every day if possible, and it's almost always possible after I get my excuses out of the way.

OK, I'm stepping down off my soapbox now;-)
Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey debaucher - glad you came and shared. you knew everyone was going to suggest you get to those meetings

congrats on your sober time, be grateful today. k
Old 08-02-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First, congrats !!!!! 180 days is huge !!!!!

Just get to some meetings, no scolding here.

I am sober! Have no desire to drink... do not feel compelled to do much... am a bit in a lull... I don't have the urge to go to a meeting... but I don't have desire not to go either... on that note the only thing of late that I have felt the urge to do is run... and bike... (excercise)...
Have a look at my response in this thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/1432923-post3.html
Old 08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks folks... no argument here... if there was more will there would be a way...

so right about without sobriety training wouldn't happen.. last year I tried to do the same thing and my body said... um NO WAY...

I told my doc about my drinking... and he said the same thing... drinking and all the training would destroy my body...

I agreed with him and said I knew for a while I had to do something about my running problem or quit drinking... He didn't think it was as funny as I did...

thanks for the conern GP... I think I will send you a PM or start a thread about obsessive behavior soon... I do need to think about that...
Old 08-02-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

DeBdude...just a short testimonial: when I first got sober, I had only the breath in me and tenuous custody of my children. My life is full of blessings today, each and every one I owe to a dedication to each and every one of the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, including that 12th one that tells me now that I have had a spiritual awakening, I have to give back. The easiest way for me to do that is to go to meetings & talk to newcomers.

There have been weeks where everything else clamors for my attention: Christmas, finals week, vacation week, my honeymoon. And honestly, I only hit two or three meetings a week (I was still doing 6 or 7 at two years) now. But I need those two or three. Even if I'm getting married, sending my oldest off to college, writing a term paper or trying to get the boat load of tomatoes I've got ripening put up in jars for the winter.

See, I get to keep it so long as I'm still giving it away....

((DeBaucher))

Get yer butt to a meeting. Can't train 24 hrs a day....an hour's physical rest will do you good.

Peace & Love,
Sugah