What's your reality?

Old 05-05-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

What's your reality?

There are a lot of people who just play at life and only discover reality when it kicks them in the face...

That said, recovery my reality was when, some time into my 'drinking history' I realised I couldn't of my own free will, stop drinking???

Which brought about my recognition and acceptance that I suffered, not just from addiction to alcohol but the two fold disease/illness of alcoholism and furthermore I would even as I do now, pursuing absolute abstinence from drinking, always suffer from this...

So that, in relevance to this forum, is my reality, what's yours?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Like what Marcus A says above my post.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My reality is that change is indeed possible. I never thought this was true and was of the mind set - old dog new tricks. I would verbalize, wish and pray to Santa Claus that things would change in my life but never take any real action to facilitate that change.

Life can be different if we becoming willing to go to any lengths and step out on faith.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My reality is the here and now but my dilemma is learning to live outside a comfort zone.

Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better. -Sydney J. Harris

But I've gotten better at this over time because I've learned...

Change before you have to. -Jack Welch
Old 05-05-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think I have a dilemma. That was solved when I quit drinking. Now, everything points one direction - to a great, whole, active life in sobriety. Anything counter to that is dismissed, addressed, deleted, etc as applicable to the person, place, thing or situation.

Keeping on my side of the street- the right (sober) side of any potential "dilemma" over wanting to drink v wanting to be sober - that's what my program does. The peace that comes with having any bit of struggle over what's right (in the drinking sense and the global sense) is immeasurable.

That's my reality- a good life, a grateful life, a much less complicated life, and one in which not drinking allows me to do anything and everything else.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I don't think I have a dilemma. That was solved when I quit drinking. Now, everything points one direction - to a great, whole, active life in sobriety. Anything counter to that is dismissed, addressed, deleted, etc as applicable to the person, place, thing or situation.

Keeping on my side of the street- the right (sober) side of any potential "dilemma" over wanting to drink v wanting to be sober - that's what my program does. The peace that comes with having any bit of struggle over what's right (in the drinking sense and the global sense) is immeasurable.

That's my reality- a good life, a grateful life, a much less complicated life, and one in which not drinking allows me to do anything and everything else.
I was thinking more in line with living life on life's terms. Personally, I don't view drinking as a dilemma. I just don't pick up that first drink.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My reality? Freedom from ever having to drink again. I worked the steps and I didn't find freedom (although I'd have loved to continue attending meetings for the camaraderie). But I finally found my great reality, my freedom from alcohol, by applying my own internal conscience, true self, inner wisdom, what ever I want to call it - but that part of my higher self brain, trounced forever, that part of my lower reptile automatic, addicted brain, that called for alcohol. Liberation is so very grounding and from that point, I can rebuild my life.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My reality is that pretty well all of my problems stemmed from drinking and now that it's out of the equation I'm just fine. No illness or disease. I'm a picture of health and vitality. I find I am a better mother, friend, sister, daughter, lover, employee now that I don't drink. I also find that I am braver, funnier, lighter, more creative. I'm not afraid to shine. For so long I believed that I would never break free of IT but I have and I will never ever go back. My reality is nothing but positive. Addiction was the one thing that was always pulling me down, making me less than, stealing my essence, but not anymore!
Old 05-05-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

My reality is that all I really have is this moment. Sober moment now.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My reality now is taking good care of my dogs and cats. They were neglected when I was drinking but now get the best care.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I too take greater care of my cats, dogs other animals and wildlife. Particularly my gorgeous, intelligent, dogs, I've started training them once more and they absolutely thrive on it. It's fabulous to watch how excited and happy they are, during training. Makes me feel so content, like a good dog Mum.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Redmayne

My grateful and heartfelt thanks...

My grateful and heartfelt thanks to all who've contributed to my original post thus far, not least because I'm still in the process of recovering from a life saving operation (nothing to do with drinking) followed by five weeks in a medically induced coma...described by the surgeons as a 'very stressful and traumatic experience' which is going to take some time...

Not recommended for the faint hearted,it certainly gets you out of your 'comfort zone' and adds a certain piquancy to my sobriety...thanks to you all again.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh goodness! What a time you have been through.
Its great to hear from you and I hope you are on the road to recovery.

Make sure you keep on getting well.
Plenty of rest and good food yep?
Have you family or friends nearby?

I wish you the best xx
Old 05-06-2017, 03:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My reality is a loveless marriage, a disabled son, loneliness and an endless cog of feeling stuck.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My reality in sobriety is continuously challenging the automatic negative/self-pitying thoughts that challenge a grateful happy life.

I'm not where I want to be, but I'm not where I was, either.

My reality is seeing the necessity of yanking back the reins on that insidious negativity. My reality is learning to focus on the positive even if things aren't currently moving fast enough, or even if I think I'm not making sufficient progress in all areas of my sober life. Time was the enemy in my active addiction, but time is the healing force in sobriety.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A happy and fulfilling life....

Originally Posted by Carpathia View Post
My reality in sobriety is continuously challenging the automatic negative/self-pitying thoughts that challenge a grateful happy life.

I'm not where I want to be, but I'm not where I was, either.

My reality is seeing the necessity of yanking back the reins on that insidious negativity. My reality is learning to focus on the positive even if things aren't currently moving fast enough, or even if I think I'm not making sufficient progress in all areas of my sober life. Time was the enemy in my active addiction, but time is the healing force in sobriety.
As I now see myself as a self directed student on the practices and principles of Stoic philosophy, first attracted to it because of its links to 'The Serenity Prayer' referred to in at least three of the growing collection of books I have on the subject may I recommend Jules Evans book,'Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations.' perhaps a look at the website,'Stoicism Today,' ... which has helped me a lot over the years in coming to terms with my life in both recovery and sobriety in a calm,rational and logical manner