Hitting Bottom

Old 06-06-2004, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Hitting Bottom

So there comes a time in every alcoholic's life when they hit bottom. And there are two ways to handle it. Either you can decide that it is not worth it, and stay at the bottom, or you can realize that what God has given you is a gift. He has given you the opportunity to realize that you have a problem and you need help. And, if you look around you, there are people waiting to help. All you have to do is ask. That point came for me on Saturday morning at 6:30 AM. I got a DUI. My first, and I am only 21 years old. I didn't kill anyone, or hurt anyone... and it was a wake-up call for everyone.

I am an athlete, go to college and get decent grades. Well, I did at least until about 2 years ago when my problems with alcohol really started. It has been a downward spiral ever since. Saturday morning was rock bottom for me. And I amlost chose the easy path... I almost didn't realize that I had a problem. I thought the cops were out to get me. I thought my parents were crazy. I thought the whole world was against me. But, what I finally came to realize that the only reason the world is against me is because I have pushed them away so hard that there was no way for them to even be able to get close to help me. After I got out of jail, I realized that I needed help. And went to find the first AA meeting that I could.

I know I have a long way to go. I actually have the shakes right now. But, in order for me to get my life back on track, a little pain is worth it. Because if I don't get it fixed now, the next step is... I don't even want to think about it. I need help. And if anyone out there can help me, or give me some words of advice to get me through this... I am finally asking for help. Please, please... tell me your story, or tell me that I can get through this. I have no idea how it got so out of control, but the fact of the matter is it did. And now it is finally time to right the wrongs I have been creating for myself.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY 42,WELCOME.
TED HERE ALKIE/ADDICT.
IF YOU DESIRE SOBRIETY,YOU CAN HAVE IT.
STICK AROUND,LOTS OF GREAT FOLKS HERE JUST LIKE US.
HELP IS ON THE WAY!!!!..................ted
Old 06-06-2004, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome Gerbie!

That's so awesome you heard that wake up call! Wow at your age many just blow it off. So glad your ready to do something. AA is what has saved me when I was finally ready to accept my bottom. Though it's not for everyone, it's an amazing fellowship of support. You have many options. Scroll around the AA and Alcoholism forums and see all the tools available to you in combating this. The withdrawal doesn't last but a few day's then it's time for you to make a plan. I was 43 when I hit my bottom and I am in such awe of you realizing now is the time for you. I promise you the life of sobriety is greatly fullfilling and peaceful. Sure life happens on life's terms, but you will learn to persevere without the alcohol.

We're glad your here!
Old 06-06-2004, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I hit bottom last October when I almost lost my family due to drinking. I can't tell you how many times I tried to quit, but always regressed back to drinking (sound familiar)?

I would say get a good lawyer and get evaluated for a treatment program. I went into outpatient treatment and it really worked for me. It is hard but the rewards are that you will get your life back again!

I am 41 and remember my college days and I absolutely would have never even thought I was an alcoholic - but you are ahead of the game; good for you!

This is only my first day in this forum, but I can see that it won't be my last! Maybe it can help you find some answers too?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Doug

Welcome to SR gerbie.

There is alot of support to be had here, and its a great additional resource in ones recovery.

Remember that the pain your refering to is only temporary, it will pass, and when it does we feel better because of it.

It can be done, it's done by lots of people everyday, and you can do it too.

I was in my early 20's when I was first introduced to recovery, however, I knew everything then and I also knew I didn't have a problem.

It took me another 10-12 years of hell on earth to get the message and really do something about it. It doesn't get better over time, it progresses, it gets worse.

Your off to a good start, don't give up.

Keep posting, I'm glad your here.

D-

Old 06-07-2004, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Red face

Thank you all so much for your support. There is part of me that thinks that my problem isnt serious enough for AA... but I know that that part of me is wrong, and that if I slip up again, I will lose everything near and dear to me....family and friends. So it's not an option. But alcohol has been my comfort for so long. How do I get through this without it? It is the hardest thing I have to do, and I feel like I lost my best friend. How did alcohol become so close to me so fast? It runs in my family, so I guess I should have seen the warning signs earlier, yet... I dunno.... anyway, I am glad you are all here and I am going to need your help immensely in the next few weeks to get me through this. Thank you so much for being there for mne. You are all stronger than I think even you imagine. Keep that strength up because other people like me feed off it in order to know that yes, we will too, survive.

Meghan
Old 06-07-2004, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

I could have written most of your post not to long ago Gerbie. I had an amazing love affair with my best friend too Mr. Bud. Problem is he didn't like me as much as I liked him.

He made feel I could never do this, I was so terrifed to say that final farewell as I didn't think I'd be able to cope in life without it. But as they say.. alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful. When you feel strong enough, and courageous enough your able to take control and kick it to the curb.

We're here for you.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
garden variety alcoholic

Losing my best friend

Originally Posted by gerbie42
But alcohol has been my comfort for so long. How do I get through this without it? It is the hardest thing I have to do, and I feel like I lost my best friend. How did alcohol become so close to me so fast?

I felt the same way, Stevie Ray Vaughan sung a song about it, called "life by the drop". Here is a link to those lyrics:

http://blueslyrics.tripod.com/lyrics...e_drop.htm#top

He knew what it was like, to have to let go of that "old friend", as do I, and he died sober, as far as I know. Rest in peace Stevie.

I couldn't see getting through life without it, but, I've learned how to, by taking the suggestions given to me from others who have walked in my shoes, in the rooms of AA.

They told me not to get hung up on the why's and how's of how it got to be so bad, because the answers will come in time. And for me, working the steps, one at a time, and living one day at a time, has given me some of the answers to some of those questions.