Notices

Methadrone (not Methadone)

Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Methadrone (not Methadone)

Argh this stuff is all over the news in the UK. My addict head is obsessing over getting some just to 'try' it once. It sounds too good to be true and its legal, you can buy it everywhere.

I know its bad for people, I know all the dangers, I just can't stop STRESSING about getting it trying it once - gahhhhh....

Anyone else heard of it? Words of wisdom please!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's in the news here in Australia.

There's stories of kids going into psychosis from it - I dunno how much is truth and how much is media beat up, but bottom line is it's plant fertiliser Mimi - it's just not a good idea, from any reasonable standpoint.

It's especially not a good idea for anyone who's been on these boards as long as you or I have.

Give it a miss, mate.
D
Old 03-29-2010, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Words of wisdom? Don't try it.

Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is OK. The courts are often playing catch up as new substances enter the public awareness, and likely this substance is just as dangerous as many others it just hasn't been classified as a controlled substance yet. In the USA there is a kind of big story on Salvia divinorum which is still largely legal.

Also the biggest killer of the all IMHO, alcohol, is legal.

Just don't go there. People like us cannot afford the luxury of thoughts along these lines.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by mimi54321 View Post
I just can't stop STRESSING about getting it trying it once - gahhhhh....
Words of wisdom please!
Sorry that I don't know you well enough and need to ask. Are you in recovery? From what substance?
What you're talking about is mephedrone. It's a chemical stimulant, same class as amphetamines. Legal or not, it's a substance intended to change or enhance your mood. It has no place in the life of anyone trying to get or stay clean.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

No experience or knowledge of it.

Best suggestions;
Don't use No Matter What
Call your sponsor about it
Get to a meeting & listen
Write to live the 12 Steps
Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your posts, sorry I'm a recovering alcoholic but have some history with recreational drugs, coke, speed and pills...

I know not to try it I think its just so frustrating that its everywhere at the moment and seems to be taunting me. I guess I'm scared my obsession will get the better of me. I'll go and talk to people in a meeting tonight.

M
Old 03-29-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Videodrone?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Thanks for all your posts, sorry I'm a recovering alcoholic but have some history with recreational drugs, coke, speed and pills...

I know not to try it I think its just so frustrating that its everywhere at the moment and seems to be taunting me. I guess I'm scared my obsession will get the better of me. I'll go and talk to people in a meeting tonight.

M
mimi- A general rule of thumb for me- if it promises a change of mood or jolt of energy, or enhanced relaxation, it's probably a bad idea. I stay away from things like caffeine shooters (don't know if you have them there, little bottles of caffeine and asst stimulants) for the same reason...it's the behavior (sorry, behaviour) I need to watch out for, not always just the substance.
Discussing it at a meeting is a good idea. The substance in question seems to be bigger in the UK that it is in the States. No doubt someone in your group has dealt with this in some way.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hello mimi.
im an alki also....
i also took a shed load of recreational drugs,i used to go to the dance clubs and took lots of speed,Es,coke etc over many years.
booze was my doc though.
i do not entertain any thoughts of any mind altering substances at all these days.
whats the point of recovery?
do you have a sponsor and are you working the steps?
i suggest you get that spiritual awakening thats promised in said steps and you will not be having thoughts like this,you will recoil from them like a hot flame,again as promised!
i wish you well.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My advice is basically, if you dont try it you dont know how it is, and if u dont kno how it is then the better off you are. Thats why regular people who arent addicts and dont do pills cannot understand everything that us addicts, whether drugs or alcohol, why it is sooo hard to quit and we cant just stop. I wud suggest just not doing it, especially because your interest is so great into it, just imagine if you do it, it will prob spark an old flame and those flames arent meant to be turned on. Basically just dont try it so you dont know the feeling, because we all know sumthin like that or anythin else like we have tried, got us good and kept going back for more, so if u dont know you wont crave.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did write a long reply to this but I will just keep it simple...

I played this tape through 3 weeks ago. Just Play the tape through. You know what the ending will be.

Stay clean and sober.

Peace
Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by Stagebear View Post
What you're talking about is mephedrone.
For purposes of clarification only, it was brought to my attention that there are two different drugs we could be discussing here, methedrone and mephedrone.
Still, neither one has any purpose in a recovering alcoholic/addict's life.
(Thanks, Noelle)
Bear
Old 03-29-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stagebear View Post
For purposes of clarification only, it was brought to my attention that there are two different drugs we could be discussing here, methedrone and mephedrone.
What's the difference between methedrone and mephedrone?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

M
So is alcohol, but you're staying away from it, correct? Think of it like you do alcohol. There are places that will have many different substances legal. Just try to occupy your mind with other things. I believe the meeting is a wonderful place to start!!
You can do it by not doing it!