Notices

18 Years on Ritalin

Old 07-05-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

18 Years on Ritalin

Wanted to post a story with a terrible beginning and a happy ending.

I was put on ADHD meds at the young age of 4, because I had terrible tantrums and insomnia as a child. My parents did not know what was wrong. The Nuerologist did tests, and put me on ADHD medication

I am adopted, and as it turns out I did not have adhd, i had fetal alcohol effect, which i have read in books, goes away after about the age of 5 or 6. my parents just couldn't wait.

Years went by, and the medicine was working. But the doctor decided that I needed to be put on more as I got older, if I acted out, or if i could not fall asleep.

Soon, I was not only taking uppers, but also downers.

It went from 1 pill, to 2, to 4, to 8. By the time I was 21, I was taking 16 pills a day.

8 uppers, 8 downers. 4 in morn, 4 in noon, 8 at night.

Clondine, Ritalin, Metadate.

When I was 17 years old they put me on Risperidone, because I was acting out in school, not doing homework etc. It is an anti psychotic medicine.

The medicine made me fat, and gave me muscle spasms.

All through my life , school sucked for me. I never made one friend, from Kindergarten to High School. These meds controlled my social life. I could not speak without stuttering, could not think of what to say, there was a wall between my mouth and my brain. I cried almost everyday. I thought I was a freak.

When I turned 21, I started to ween myself off these pills. it was hard, it felt like crap. I could not sleep, I sweat in my sleep, I had nightmares. I craved the meds. I needed them to sleep.

It took months before I could sleep with only 4 pills, then 2, then just one.

I went off the uppers and I had extreme withdrawal. I could not talk to people. I would have to turn away. I would sweat and start to feel like I was trapped in the room. I would be angry I would be sad I would feel like everything was in fast forward.

When i got off the anti psychotic, my mouth would not stop twitching, people i knew at work would notice, i could tell.

These things lasted for a year.

It took me a year and a half, i got off my meds January 9th, 2016.

I still have withdrawal ,it has reduced to about once every three months, I will have one day where I just feel very strange.

My parents did not agree with my decision at first. It was hard to separate myself from them.

But when they realized I was sleeping more, and not acting very different without the medicine, they backed off.

NO one mentions it anymore. like it was a dream.

i can't get the time back, its the only thing that makes me sad about it.
i never had a best friend in school cuz i was shy. but i am VERY outgoing now. i would have had so many friends.

but things happen for a reason. i suppose. now i know the best of both worlds.

i told myself i couldn't give up. i wasn't the meds, i was me.

I'm really surprised i did it.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Recovering Alcoholic

Colors39,
I can relate to the addiction. I was addicted to Adderall, alcohol, weed, spice, and narcotics. Recovery can happen and it feels great to be off of everything and living a natural life. Keep it up!!!
Old 07-12-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent story. Well done becoming properly informed, believing in yourself, and toughing out what must have been physical and mental torture.

You are an inspiration.

By the way, Risperdal made me fat, too!
Old 07-12-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You deserve congratulations Colors - thank you for sharing your story

I hope the memories you make from here on in will help balance out the time you feel you've lost.

D
Old 07-16-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my heart goes out to you, Colors. you are very bravely and wisely taking care of yourself, and I admire your strength and courage.
wishing you much happiness in your new life.
God bless you.