Notices

Is He on Opiates?

Old 02-01-2016, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Is He on Opiates?

I have been getting to know this guy. He is in AA with me. We have hung out a few times, and we were starting to get close. I have noticed since I met him that his pupils are smaller than most peoples. Even in darker environments, they do seem to be somewhat responsive to light (they dilate a little) but not as much as other peoples. His pupils are never large, even in a dark room with the tv on. I wouldn't say they are exactly "pin p rick" though. I was wondering if a person maintaining an opiate addiction would have eyes like this? Not quite pin p rick, but constricted. He does tell me he has irregular sleep patterns. I asked him if he were taking medication, in particular opiates, and he says no., definitely not. He seemed to brush it off without any serious concern. However, I think he is offended, as I haven't really heard form him since. I know that addicts will lie right to my face, but I really don't want it to be true. Is it possible for him to just have small pupils? I feel like I'm being crazy for thinking he isn't sober, but I can't find any confirmation online that some people just have small pupils. .... Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by soberwoman34; 02-01-2016 at 11:03 PM. Reason: it kept editing the word p r i c k to ******
Old 02-02-2016, 02:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

its hard to judge someone just based on there pupils. when i started tapering and detoxing i started looking at my pupils alot and noticed theyd get really big and then small. sometimes look like cartoon eyes. this freaked me out. now that im off them i realize its really no difference. when i play video games my pupils get bigger when i concentrate on something. light has something to do with it but i cant remember if it restricts it or does the opposite. blood pressure and anxiety can change it. the way you breathe faster or slower can change it. drugs can alter pupils a bit sometimes, but theres alot of other things that will as well. when i wake up mine are usually small and when i go to bed they usually are double the size. it seems like the more tired i am and more calm the more small mine are if im correct.

so i wouldnt really judge the guy just on that. but if someones using you can usually figure it out.

also opiates make people have less anxiety and talk alot. it can make the shyest and most nervous people sociable. so if he scurries away and isnt blabbing i kinda dont think its drugs

irregular sleep patterns, ive had them since i was in 1st grade. i use to miss so much school because i was a night owl. trying to function in a world that operates during daylight when your a loner night person like myself is hard on sleeping. of course when i was on opiates i would stay up maybe 27 hours and then sleep 13 alot of days. so it can go either way. now that im off pills my sleep schedule is still messed up.

the dude might just be a depressed nervous person who cant socialize and is use to being alone and doesnt know how to be around people maybe?

i never met the dude so all i can do is throw out those suggestions, youll be able to figure it out by talking and being around them.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome SoberWoman
Old 02-02-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Soberwoman!!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tell us more about his personality. anything particular that you notice him do? Opiate addicts scratch a lot, raspy voice, talk a lot, nod in and out, have certain mannerisms (for example constantly saying stuff and finishing with "you know what i'm saying?"), irritability, mood swings. There's a lot more, but that's all i can think of right off the top. Look for any unusual behavior and what seems like a fake enthusiasm in everything. If you haven't heard from him he may have ran out of his DOC, i know i'll be extremely social and make tons of plans and when i run out i disappear for awhile.

Goodluck
Old 02-07-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The pupils could be small for any number of reasons, so I'd try not to read to much into that. Unless it's coupled with other signs of opioid use? Does his mood swing a lot? Have you for example ever noticed him getting a little tired or quiet, and then noticed that a few minutes (or up to 30 minutes) after a bathroom visit he suddenly perks up? Will he make plans and when the time comes just be unavailable? Or more obvious, have you seem him either nodding off or on a high where he can't stop moving and talking?
Old 02-07-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pupils respond to light, the more light the smaller the pupils are generally. With opiates, pupils do not adjust from low light (large) to high light (small) as quickly as they do for normal people. Police test for opiates (or they did to me) by putting someone in a dark room for a minute or so then shining a flashlight in eyes to see if pupils adjust smoothly and normally. With that said I have a friend who's pupils are almost always large since we young so I wouldn't put too much stock in your observations. As others have pointed out some better indications are trips to the bathroom or anywhere with them coming back much more upbeat and talkative. Or cancelling plans last minute (when unable to find opiates) good luck and welcome.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Night owl

Welcome Soberwoman. Lots of good answers, not much to add but pupils tend to get smaller as we age. And some folks have extra large or small pupils naturally. When I was at my heaviest usage my pupils were truly pinpricks, and would barely react to light. I hope everything works out for you.