Notices

Looking for advice

Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for advice

Hello - I am trying to find an outpatient opiate treatment facility, I have been searching for hours tonight and I just keep finding the same auto generated suggestions probably based on the doctors paying to be advertised. I keep looking up the different suggestions these websites make via google and many of them have terrible stories associated with them. I am trying to find the best way to find a good doctor to help me, I want to get clean for myself because I just don't want to do this anymore but I don't know where to turn. Any suggestions on ways to find a good caring doctor would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share but I wanted to welcome you GS123

There is the national database of treatment facilities here
https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/Tre...ickSearch.jspx

click where you are on the map, and then hit the 'select services' button that comes up to refine your searches to outpatient.

There are no reviews on that site tho. You'll have to call any places you might find and make your judgement that way.

D
Old 07-31-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I will check it out, just reading some of the posts here is giving me hope, don't really have anyone in my life I could ever talk to about this. I need some help getting past the first week or so to not be in severe withdrawal, really hoping to find a place to help me with that and then move on from there, I know it will be a long long journey but it's something I really want to do.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome GS
Old 07-31-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum GS!!
Old 07-31-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum GS!!
Thanks, rough first day, keep checking in hear for moral support
Old 07-31-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GS123 View Post
Thanks, rough first day, keep checking in hear for moral support
I haven't quite quit yet but the more I read on here the more I feel like I am not the only one who has ever gone through this, as dumb as that sounds, I of course knew I wasn't but it just helps to read others going through the same thing I am and getting clean. So far I am trying to cut back, going from 20-25 Oxys a day to less, This week I have gotten down to around 10, and hoping to get down to a few a day over the next week and stop, every night I keep telling myself I am going to stop and every morning I start again, I need to just stop but, as they say, easier said than done. I am moving in the right direction I think, every time I want to do something I start reading on here and it has helped a lot, many thanks to all for the stories in all the threads, they are very helpful.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(GS123)

Where are you located? With that information perhaps someone here could recommend a facility based on personal experience.

Jim
Old 08-01-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

GS 123

Much respect for having the courage to come on here and front up to the fact you've got a problem you want to face, it's a brave thing to do! This site has helped many addicts like you and me navigate the early days of opiate recovery - and beyond, don't be afraid to utilise it I hope you find the in person support you're looking for, good vibe man!!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Many thanks for the kind words, I have been on here a lot but mostly in the new to recovery forums, it's helped me a lot to have people to relate to that are going through similar experiences, albeit that most of them are from alcohol which is a somewhat different beast. I am from northern New Jersey. To update anyone not reading new to recovery forums, I have been tapering and in the last few days I have made progress, reading here has helped immensely. I know I have a long way to go but the support and stories I have read here have been more helpful than anything else I have found.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do this GS rootin for you bud
Old 02-05-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was just looking through my old posts, I haven't been on here in a long time, you know how trying to quit can go... Happy to say I have stayed clean for 3 weeks now and reading some of my old posts about how bad I was is certainly giving me some motivation.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One more question, I have never really told anyone about my addiction and I have no need or want to use again right now, I actually found a pill last week and it's just been sitting where I found it because I know I don't want it and I am strong enough to make that choice. My question is about quitting without 12 step programs or support groups or that sort of thing, so many things I have read make it seem like that is the only way, I was hoping to find some people/advice about poeple who just stopped, one day said enough is enough.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You might find your answer in this thread.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html

Congrats on your 3 weeks!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

One more question, I have never really told anyone about my addiction and I have no need or want to use again right now, I actually found a pill last week and it's just been sitting where I found it because I know I don't want it and I am strong enough to make that choice. My question is about quitting without 12 step programs or support groups or that sort of thing, so many things I have read make it seem like that is the only way, I was hoping to find some people/advice about poeple who just stopped, one day said enough is enough.
I think a greater test of strength would be to throw it away

There are lots of approaches here GS...thats the good thing about SR

D
Old 02-06-2016, 01:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I was reading through this and feel the same way you feel.. I took my last pill/drink/smoke on Jan 22. I am going to NA though. I can't do this alone, its too hard. Well really I just surrendered because trying to do it my way hasn't worked. I like reading on here, that is so great you are doing well again. Its nice to not have to be searching for pills hu? Yes throw out the pill you found!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks cleaninli that was very interesting read. And thanks for the support. It's pretty awesome now planning my day searching for pills and actually having some money. Oh and I will throw it out now.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by finaltime View Post
Welcome back! I was reading through this and feel the same way you feel.. I took my last pill/drink/smoke on Jan 22. I am going to NA though. I can't do this alone, its too hard. Well really I just surrendered because trying to do it my way hasn't worked. I like reading on here, that is so great you are doing well again. Its nice to not have to be searching for pills hu? Yes throw out the pill you found!!!
I think my last day was the 21st congrats my friends, it is hard but at least it is getting easier. Good luck, you can do this.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks cleaninli that was very interesting read. And thanks for the support. It's pretty awesome now planning my day searching for pills and actually having some money. Oh and I will throw it out now.

Oh you are welcome GS! So glad you are doing so well! Yes I agree life is so much better now than having to plan it around pills, and all that scheming and searching for pills. Yuck! So free now! And oh yes the money I've saved? Awesome!

Thanks for the reminder GS! Great job!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job GS