Notices

quest can u answer please

Old 07-02-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lesa

quest can u answer please

if u get out rehab and go back to the same using friends .u staying clean prob want last uh
Old 07-02-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
lesa

please answer
Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

By and large, it didn't for me. The relationships that were centered around using were unhealthy, and when I finally got real about stopping, the other parties continued. Without that thread of mind-altering, the friendships dissolved.

The happy corellary is that some friends were truly friends, and when I quit being a drunk and put some effort into being a friend again, I was blessed with richer, deeper relationships. Those relationships, however, never started or centered around a substance, but rather shared experiences, goals, values, and non-soused interactions.

I don't miss my drinking buddies in a significant way. I think of them from time to time and wonder how they are, but I'm no longer grieved from the loss of those relationships. The others, however, are VERY important to me, and I do my best to tend to those friends properly. Its a privaledge to do so today, and I wouldn't change it for more using a substance any day.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior
Old 07-02-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are your friend ships with them based solely around using? Are they supportive of your sobriety?
My friends were not super supportive of my new sobriety. It was challenging , but much more rewarding to be around new people. It was worth it, and made my self growth worth it. It's really weird doing a ton of therapy and changing my thinking patterns while hanging out with pepole who were still under the influence.
There are recovery groups, volunteer opportunities, churches, meetup groups and lots of other ways to meet new people.
I can't say whether or not you'll go back to using if you return to your old places , but you sound a little skeptical from your post. I think if you have any fears that it MAY happen, playing it safe is a good idea
Old 07-02-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I returned to my same pattern with
drinking and through away my 28 days
in rehab which gave me some time to
dry out, absorb some good information
on my addiction to alcohol, then I surely
wouldn't be here today some 24 yrs. of
many one days at a time added together
to get me where I am today.

Happy, healthy and honest.

I had to incorporate a recovery program
consisting on steps and principles into my
everyday affairs in order achieve a strong,
solid recovery foundation to live upon each
day I didn't drink.

Change in people, places and things associated
with alcohol had to be practiced thru out my
recovery in order to be successful in staying
sober.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

All my friends were really into drinking and drugs - so no that didn't work for me.

I had to make a lot of changes but they turned out really great - I live my life now

best wishes lesa

D
Old 07-02-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

No that wouldnt have worked for me Lesa youl make a ton of good friends in sobriety making them changes improved my life tenfold
Old 07-02-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

no not good. i havent seen anyone do it so far. wouldnt have for me i stopped talking to friends i knew for more then 20 years after they wanted me to go to a pool party and "just drink". they were also some of the first ones i used with. the longer ive stayed clean i desire using friends less and less.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My proper mates know the score and are happy to do non drug and **** up related activities. A couple tried to undermine me by saying you are a drugs man through and through you cant change but that more down to the fact me not getting wrecked puts the spotlight on their drug use with their wives etc. Told them to grow up and that if they want to get leathered then that's their choice but I can't be hanging around.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It never worked for me either lesa. I needed to make lots of changes in my life and one of those was breaking off old ties with using friends.

What's that saying? "Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are?"
Old 07-06-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Didnt work for me either. Had to stop hanging with any of the ones who used. Finally after about 6 months i met up with one at a bar one night and he was on molly/xanax, but i was sober. Wasnt horrible, but i couldnt hang out w him again - wont be going to his house any time soon.

Once you get sober. Your priorities change.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

If you hang around them long enough you'll end up right back in the hole with them. I did. I tried over and over to hang out with the same folks and I always ended up drunk.