Notices

Hmmm I wonder

Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hmmm I wonder

So I'm just sitting here thinking. Because well I have nothing better to do. The migraine left on day 4. It's restarting today. I feel it coming and I'm not thrilled!

So I am just wondering about y'all's opinion on something.

I've been off the opiates since Dec 16. So 20 plus days. I have like a real pain problem with the migraines. Hypothetically thinking here. If I were to take some meds as in opiates. Take them as they are intended/prescribed. Not abuse them in any way, does that reset my clean days? Or is it about abusing them?

I have no intention of taking any. I will make it through this migraine like I've made it through the hundreds of others I've had in my life. I was just thinking about it.

I also know that there is a chance that this line of thinking is the addict in me! But none the less I'm curious!

I also know that at some point in my life I will wind up having opiates in my body. I have a plan in place! I've been through the emergency room for the headaches and we ALWAYS try to treat them without narcotics first. If that doesn't help then we move to narcotics. I am ok with that. However the plan will be to not have any prescribed to me to take home.

But not like that matters. I have a bunch of opiates here anyway. My son had surgery and is taking them. I have my own scripts here. The temptation is not there for me to take them.

I'm rambling! Sorry about that!
Old 01-10-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days Kate!!!

Not sure how to answer your question, but I also can't seem to understand why it is important to you. I think if you want to live a life opiate free, you can do that, migraines be damned...many people find other ways to treat migraines.

I don't know your story but on the surface level it sounds like you are thinking about how you can use your drug of choice in the future, not sure if that's a good thought process for you or not.

Take care
Old 01-10-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's all up to you! But having to have little bits here and there ..... and then thinking about that after only four days without them ..... Will be very very very difficult.

If I could have two shot glasses of beer once a week it would make my struggle harder and chances pretty high that I would be going backwards and downwards

Keep writing your thoughts down and looking at your situation as an observer of your life. Keep reading about the struggles of others.

What do you want? Think o f that as a hypothetical question and ask yourself what do you want. One answer could be BOTH (no migraines and the drugs once in a while). Just brainstorming as my daughter and her friend shopping and I sit in a nice comfy chair

Keep posting :-)
Old 01-10-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Kate96 View Post
I also know that there is a chance that this line of thinking is the addict in me!
Absolutely, YES.

An addict, in pain, with access to opiates. A recipe for relapse. I hope you remain strong in your committment to get and remain clean.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok so I read this again. I can't believe I typed that!

One, my addict mind was at work! Making a plan about having opiates in my system!
Two, I was having high pain and obsessing over something weird! Which I do at times!
Three, I am kind of curious if having opiates in my body resets my clean count!

Thank you all for your kind words! My post looks like I'm some kind of whacko! I promise I'm not a whacko! Perhaps I should filter my posts a little. But that won't work. I am a say it like it is type and it shows I also post like that. Oh my!

I am comforted to know I can post what comes to mind and y'all won't tar and feather me!
Old 01-11-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to see the second post as I was about to indicate what you have already concluded. You won't get tarred and feathered here as we ALL have done and still do the same thing. It's something that has to be worked through each time.

I have been to hell a few times as a result of my messing with substances that alter my consciousness but still have the "maybe just one" dreams.

My wife and I are about to embark on our first cruise of the Caribbean which to me always sounded like a huge all day, all week license to drink. Everyone I am going with will have a drink or two and control themselves nicely. So why not me? That thought keeps spiraling through my head with the 'I can stop when we get home can't I?"

I know I can't and I know I won't but I wish the thought would stop.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I should filter my posts a little. But that won't work. I am a say it like it is type and it shows I also post like that. Oh my!

I am comforted to know I can post what comes to mind and y'all won't tar and feather me![/QUOTE]

Hey Kate, it's good you post what comes to mind. that way you get honest answers. The fact is we all have thought the exact same things. Asked those same questions. They seemed perfectly logical at the time too. I know I have. Our AV is very good at giving us reasons/excuses to use......it's mighty tricky! These thoughts and obsessions are cravings...disguised as questions....don't be fooled.

I've found the best way to get thru those thoughts is to get out of my head...go for a walk...take a shower....watch a movie...or come here and post. Anything, besides entertaining thoughts of using.

You are doing great! You've got 20+ days recovery! That is awesome!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's best to be honest kate It read very much like the start of you justifying using again. I'm a heroin addict 20+ days in after countless attempts at being clean. And the journey to use again in my experience is just that - not a snap decision. Id bin them drugs if I was you (yours) how old your son why he given opiates. Sounds extreme that. If I knew there was heroin in my flat id either have to walk straight out or it would just wreck my fookin head and id end up using. I can't be around drugs! Im a flat out addict!
Old 01-11-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry if I'm rambling I've been up all night watching MUFC play and am a wee bot jet lagged tired etc so sorry if I'm not making sense.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedManc7 View Post
It's best to be honest kate It read very much like the start of you justifying using again. I'm a heroin addict 20+ days in after countless attempts at being clean. And the journey to use again in my experience is just that - not a snap decision. Id bin them drugs if I was you (yours) how old your son why he given opiates. Sounds extreme that. If I knew there was heroin in my flat id either have to walk straight out or it would just wreck my fookin head and id end up using. I can't be around drugs! Im a flat out addict!
He's 13. Had 3 screws, a plate and a bone graft put in his foot/ankle. Pretty severe break.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jesus wept that sounds grim. Hope he comes good.