Notices

Worried abour cambodia

Old 12-27-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried abour cambodia

Leave Vietnam soon and go Cambodia. Travelling with a pal. He fit as **** smokes weed the occasional class A's but he got proper balance in his life. He mentioned he might try and score some coke - loads have tourists have been sold smack instead. Have told him I'm laying completely off the Persian rugs this holiday (he knows I've tried smack as I used to kick About with some guys who've lost everything and are now full blown junkies nothing more - he doesn't know I've been addicted/am an addict). Any suggestions as to how to manage this scenario appreciated. I've run out of subs now so am getting mild withdrawal symptoms so worried how I will respond to temptation - holiday feeling/carnival atmosphere etc.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry, I would not go with this guy Red.
I would part ways and make your own way around.

D
Old 12-27-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cheers D will prob just do my own thing at night. I'm feeling strong but haven't had temptation in front of me, just curious to how I will react. Confident I will say no anyway but it crossed my mind.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recovery's all about difficult choices Red. Here's to you making the right ones

D
Old 12-27-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep a lot of difficult choices ahead - a good reason just to stay in the moment and enjoy today clean :-)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=RedManc7;5100381just curious to how I will react. Confident I will say no anyway but it crossed my mind.[/QUOTE]

Morning Red, I always found that when I had exactly that thought, the "I'm interested to see how I'm going to cope/what choice I'll make, when faced with temptation" one, it only ever ended one way- with me using.

You're doing so well, why would you want to put temptation in your way?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't want to put temptation in my way. I've had hawkers offering me drugs throughout Vietnam. I can't not go on holiday because there might be drugs about. I not interested in taking drugs anymore. Just curious as to when they more prevalent how I handle it. Am I gonna have to walk out of places, hide in my room, I dunno. I am doing well cos in part cos away from my usual triggers. In Cape Town last Xmas new year 21 day coke binge I couldn't wait to get back and score some smack and take the pain away. Don't feel that way this year. No interest in taking smack again. It's ****** the last 4 years up. No more. I'm 40 next month and I'm ready for a new path. We not going to the mad bar areas we going around temples for a few days, just Cambodia has a rep for the old Persians that all.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you chasing, it's not like that, I'm not thinking about using, I know the pattern that leads to my using and I'm not on that tip, I'm just curious and don't want to be running away from stuff if I don't have to just wondered what you guys did to avoid.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm just gonna carry on as I have. Not done anything mental yet just enjoying getting away from home :-)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Besides which I'm 8 days clean (of all drugs) which is a record in the past 2 years at least :-)
Just gonna take it day by day seems to work!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't not go on holiday because there might be drugs about.
No need to hang out out in places where it might be, with people who might get on, either.

red, you started this thread 'worried about cambodia'.... and now you're like 'no man I'll be fine...I got this'.

Convincing myself I'd be fine was one of my addictions best party pieces....

Stay vigilant, and if an uncomfortable choice is the one you know you should take...take it.

D
Old 12-28-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm just playing devils advocate Red. As Dee says, recovery is all about the choices we make. For me, that has meant making bigger decisions than I thought I would need to. I've had to think seriously about where I want my life to be in a year, and what I need to do to get it there. If that means becoming a bit of a hermit for a bit, then so be it. I can't trust myself to go to a party and resist temptation, so I just don't go to the party. There will still be parties a year from now, and if I have a years clean time under my belt then maybe I will be able to trust myself more then.

I'm really pleased for you that you feel no desire to use, that is amazing Red. Just be easy on yourself- it has only been a week and we all know how fragile recovery is, especially in the early weeks. God knows how many 2-6 month clean periods I have p***ed up the wall by not giving my sobriety the respect it needs.

Are you drinking or have you given up booze as well?

Anyway, are you having fun in Vietnam/Cambodia? I went there a few years back, amazing place. Ar you going to Angkor wat?
Old 12-28-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just a thought- would it be so awful to be honest with this guy?

I fought against telling people for a ,long time, but then I figured if I really wanted to be sober, I had to have it all out in the open so that there was nowhere for my drug use to hide. I didn't tell everyone, but I did tell my husband, sister and best friend.

They were more supportive and understanding than I could have hoped for, and they had my best interests at heart so looked out for me. I also think they felt proud that I had told them and inadvertently asked for THEIR help.

We've all got skeletons in our closet, who knows what your friend's might be. No one looking at me, a respectable Middle class mum with lovely children, a job, a home, would guess what mine was.

If this guy is a good enough friend to go travelling with, can you tell him? If he's not that interested in drugs, he won't be that bothered? You don't have to go into specifics, just gloss over it- "to be honest, I'm trying to lay off things for good as it became a bit of a problem....?" He'll get it?

Just a thought...
Old 12-28-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ah! Angkor Wat in Siem Reap is mind blowing, I'm slightly envious!

Tread carefully tho my friend, you're the only person who really knows where you're at, but the thing with addiction is that the addict part of us can kick in very fast, very hard and if there's a carrot in front of your nose when that happens it's probably 50/50 to how it turns out. Also with the sub WD's coming in & being in Cambodia of all places, I'd be lying if this didn't smell like a recipe for relapse.

Try to keep in mind how important sobriety is to you and where using is going to take you, remember fools gold mate, using is just not worth it in the long run.

Congrats on the 8 days too, that's wicked, don't throw it away - it's the start of your new life mate.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cheers D, I know I started the thread, my brain like everyone's thinks over dozens of things at once. I appreciate you playing devils advocate - you do it well :-) - I know recovery is fragile - I've ****** it up enough times - I just feel different about it this time - the desire to do other things in life has finally outweighed the desire to get high. That's a big shift for me. I feel 25 again with it all to prove. I'm excited about being uber successful at work again and trying to become a better human. Not felt like this in years. Yeah staying in Siam reap visiting temples there in anker wat there for new year then spend my 40th in a mental luxurious resort on phu quoc - clean!!!! - we avoiding the mad beach areas - a few mates run Bars down there (ex United lads I used to go with) so avoiding like the plague. They'd have me bang at it in minutes. I know who I need to avoid and who I'm safe with. Lad I'm travelling with is sound as ****. Really has his **** together and I feel like a 20 year old again in some ways, walking round a smack head for years relying on my wits to seem ok seems to have robbed me of common sense - he has helped me get some back. Feels like a blessing in my life right now.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That all sounds amazing Red, really pleased for you. Well done on having a plan- that'll see you through.

I too will be clean on NYE which I'm incredibly proud of, and was clean for my 40th. Who'd have thought it- we really are growing up ☺️.

Not sure what I said that wound you up, but if it pushes the right buttons I guess that's a good thing

Here's to an amazing journey for you through Cambodia and through the next year of your life
Old 12-28-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cheers gnarly I know exactly what you mean but am playing it safe. I know I'm an addict and have finally accepted what that means. Chasing I am having a few settlers with my Valium just to take the edge off withdrawing from heroin and still be able to function ok. I've got a lot of frustration with my myself and a lot of wrongs to right. I can't do that using I look back and can't believe it was me lol. So it's accepting my life clean then sober that I am doing right now. There's so much other stuff to do here anyway. Drugs aren't 4 me anymore.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You did wind me up but I need winding up, prodding, poking, testing how serious I am. I appreciate it, stay clean and safe chasing :-)
Old 12-28-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ok, I will carry on ☺️

You sound in a good place Red. I totally agree with you about accepting yourself. A big part in staying sober for me has been to understand that I don't need to become a better person- a more perfect person, I actually just need to accept who I am.

Here's to a fantastic 2015 for us all ��
Old 12-28-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ok, I will carry on ☺️

You sound in a good place Red. I totally agree with you about accepting yourself. A big part in staying sober for me has been to understand that I don't need to become a better person- a more perfect person, I actually just need to accept who I am.

Here's to a fantastic 2015 for us all 😃