Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

What events lead to you staying off opiates/anything else?

Notices

Old 12-23-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm just curious for some of you years clean people, what did it take in your mind to make the decision and how did you stick with it, with all of the boredom and triggers out there? Did you meet new friends? What kind of hobbies did you replace drug use with? Do the cravings go away?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The incredible cravings go away but the memories of the delicious euphoria of the drug remain for me but become very much less important. They have less drive to them but that doesn't mean they cannot be a spark to drag you back in. Again speaking for myself.

I have been an accomplished wood worker since getting the advice to find something about which I can be as passionate as I am for the high. I was involved in it before but it has become a passion and drives me in a creative fulfilling way that has no guilt associated with it. Well, I have to admit to an obsession with tools that leads me to purchases that may be more than necessary. I, however, don't worry about being arrested on the way home.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cant recall anything good about those days. Not much to leave behind really.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great thread Jim. I am wondering the same thing. I am nearly 2 months off my DOC and am having trouble finding something that keeps my interest. I am playing music again though and its like Im hearing it through a new set of ears. I still get cravings but using is not an option for me because the consequences are still so fresh in my mind. (Separation from my wife and children. I get the kids on weekends and holidays. Using again would screw that up mighty quick).
Old 12-26-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies people, interested in hearing your stories. Ive been trying to stay off opiates for good. Have had it down to about 1-2x a week but cant seem to knock it off for good due to boredom. Having cravings right now so i figured i'd come on here to post and try to get it off my mind.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thankfully I'm about 8 days clean (again) but speaking from some ex addicts who had seriously bad habits (no veins left in arms etc) who have been clean about a decade now they say they have cravings but time makes them less intense, last less time and happen less frequently. Which has got to be a good thing. I know I'll think about heroin at some point everyday for the rest of my life. There's not many things that makes that cut in life and whilst it's a bit sad I guess just have to accept it. Acceptance of who you are (an opiate addict) but at the same time learning to accept you aren't going to use again I reckon is important. But what would I know? I've been trying to get clean 4 almost 2 years!!!!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Terms of interest it's a hard one. If you've devoted your adult life to getting wrecked it's hard to start at 40. For me it's about getting fit - getting back into bikram yoga (hot and intense and totally about the moment - just like a good rave) and getting to meditation, trying to develop my spiritual side. I have one hidden beneath the smack coke and E's. I did a life audit a few years back - establish what your values are - the build behaviours that support the values - that's why as a junkie I was unhappy a lot - ultimately I knew ******* my life up wasn't in line with my values. So it's a life audit in jan for me and a value a analysis.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Getting myself in meetings and making new friends has helped me immensely