Notices

5 months clean and still struggling

Old 11-27-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months clean and still struggling

Hey all... I was on norcos 10/325s for 5 years and have had numerous surgeries in that time. However, it's been 5 months since I've gotten off of them and I'm still struggling a lot. I did okay the first two months and then the third month I had panic attacks almost everyday. Went to hospital 3 times over it. Then did okay for awhile up until a week ago. I've had a headache for like 2 weeks, crazy episodes of anxiety and mood swings, just feel it's hard to function on a day to day basis. Sleep is almost impossible too. Has anyone ever had problems this far out from stopping opiates? Why am I struggling so much? Please help!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

SarahJade, 5 months clean is FANTASTIC, congratulations. I'm 4 years 4 months sober and still struggle. I think I expected all my dreams to come true just because I quit using chemicals substances, but it just hasn't happened. What I do have now is some self-respect, money in my pocket, and the courage to get up every day and figure out how to make my life better. Rootin for ya.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
SarahJade, 5 months clean is FANTASTIC, congratulations. I'm 4 years 4 months sober and still struggle. I think I expected all my dreams to come true just because I quit using chemicals substances, but it just hasn't happened. What I do have now is some self-respect, money in my pocket, and the courage to get up every day and figure out how to make my life better. Rootin for ya.
That's awesome! Congrats to you too! And I do find it super frustrating because there is so much I want to do drugs are the last thing on my mind but the physical and psychological symptoms just hit me and put me down for weeks... I don't understand why they sideline me so much. Did you ever have physical symptoms once you quit? I just keep trying to tell myself that it's my body learning how to adjust from all my surgeries without the pain meds. I just want to move on with my life...
Old 11-28-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

SarahJade, yes, for the 1st year it was really tough. The urges and cravings were a big problem but finally subsided and now hardly ever have them. I was lucky not to have any physical problems and I probably have more psychological problems now than I had before. If the pain from the surgeries is to great don't hesitate to use the prescribed doses of whatever a doctor has given you. 5 months is truly an accomplishment and I'm confident that the urges and cravings will go away with time, rootin for ya.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi sarahjade-
I hope you feel better soon. A two week headache does not sound fun. I didn't use opiates but I did find that about six months I was having a hard time with depression, anxiety, depersonalization. "At six months I should be feeling great" I thought. Well... It took a while longer. For the physical stuff like the headache you should check with your Dr. Are you cutting back on caffeine or dehydrated? Sleep problems, idk? But I hope you find some relief soon, I have a feeling you will.
-Ted
Old 11-28-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sarah - I have no experience to share but I think seeing your Dr is probably a good move?

Congrats on your 5 months btw

D
Old 11-28-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Sarahjade! Congrats on 5 months! I have 6 and I experienced a lot of the same symptoms. I saw a dr. after 3 and was told it was mainly stress related And my body readjusting. I have read up a lot about PAWS in the first year of recovery. I choose not to take anything stronger than ibuprofen. I get nightly headaches but they are slowly getting better. My doctor also said that it takes time for the central nervous system to regulate from years of synthetic opiates doing the job it should have been doing which is why so many addicts relapse in the first year. There are a lot of meds (narcotic and non-narcotic) that can be prescribed to help with these symptoms but I have remained meds free by personal choice. It's important for you to seek as much help as you can to help your mind, body and soul heal. It may take a while. I hope this post is okay-I know we aren't supposed to give medical advice but I could relate to your plight.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the replies. It really does help a lot. All the physical ailments scare me because in the past I've had so many freak accidents that resulted in surgery. But I have a neurology appointment on Wednesday so hopefully it's nothing and just my body trying to adapt without pain meds. After these past few months I totally understand why only 2 out 10 people fully recover from opiates. When did any of you start noticing your symptoms started going away? I feel like this has been hell on earth. It's so awesome to hear other people's stories though. It makes me more hopeful. Did any of you notice physical ailments months after detox?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I get TMJ headaches nightly but they've gone from a 10 to a 4 and slowly lessening. Sleep helps so does acupuncture. When I have a particularly anxiety ridden day my pain is worse. The anxiety is still pretty bad but I get support through AA in terms of working through emotional symptoms of withdrawals. Hopefully, the neurologist will have more answers for you. It does get better though.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Rina how long were you using for? And what is a tmj headache? I just can't believe how hard this has been. It blows my mind and makes me so impressed by people like you who have made it this far. I knew there was going to be mental adjustments from getting off the norcos but had no idea about the physical ailments. Nothing I read ever mentioned physical parts after the acute withdrawals.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had surgery on my jaw joints years ago so I am sensitive to pain in my TMJ joints near my temples. I have Post Acute Withdrawals or PAWS-look it up it describes the symptoms we are having. I was on Lortab for 5 years as well as Ativan for sleep. I was prescribed these meds but I did honestly abuse them. I also drank while taking them. I went cold turkey off everything last May and I've had the issues with headaches and anxiety since then. 3 months was really hard because I think emotionally I just wanted it to be over with and the symptoms were still really strong. Now at 6 months I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Please hang in there. I am-because I can only imagine the damage I did to my body for so many years. PM me any time if you need to talk.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep Going!

Hi MJ- I tapered (slowly) off opiates back in April 2011 and I practically LIVED on this site, the great people here saved me. Five months is great, just great and I bet the not sleeping is bad BUT it's not quite as bad as the first month, and so on. It took me over a year to get a night's sleep without waking up and kicking the wall. Opiates are the toughest to come off of, so hang in there, please. Stay well.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

5 months is great. Keep doing it struggling is part of recovery, just be strong and focus
Old 12-03-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"Stay focused on what your focusing in"!

Heard that at a meeting this morning
Old 12-03-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I love the support! I guess I was completely naive going into this because I thought just one week of hell and I'll be good to go. I was so wrong. My stomach was upset for like 3 months, I've had back pain and insane headaches. I get random aches and pains everyday. There'll be times when even my earlobes hurt! And the anxiety is instense! On good days I can still feel the anxiety lurking. Why does it seem like I'm the only one suffering from physical issues with coming off opiates still? I never hear about those whose body had a hard time adjusting.