Notices

Hen House Talk, Part 58!

Old 11-22-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

63 degrees! That sounds nice right about now!! Have a nice time TOD
Old 11-22-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

It's in the upper 50's, here, and absolutely gorgeous.

TOD - I totally understand about this not being a good time. Nick is in ICU, not home. I don't know, for a fact, but would assume he has a chest tube due to the collapsed lung.

Though I know this disease will eventually end his "earthly life", as Jeanie calls it, we are praying that he will get past this and go home.

He's very anxious, and again I assume, they can't give him medication to calm him down as it would also decrease his respirations.

He can't have any visitors, other than Jeanie and her daughter. He needs to use all his energy to fight this.

If I went down there, I'd only be allowed to sit in the waiting room. Me sitting out there wouldn't do anyone any good - Nick and Jeanie would feel bad I was out there, and I certainly would be restless at just sitting.

I know I'm doing a lot of assuming, but I've still got the brain and heart of a nurse and I will not do anything to make the situation worse. I'm actually feeling blessed that we are such good friends that Jeanie can tell me, "not now" and know I understand.

She and I keep in touch through texting and on the book of faces. Whether I can go and see both of them, or just Jeanie when her daughter stays with Nick, she will let me know. They both know I'm there with them in spirit and love.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-22-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Amy: OH OK? I was just confused on all of the facts surrounding everything!

Just got home from mom's about an hour ago. We all had a wonderful time! I'm beat and can't hardly hold my eyes open! I'm ready for a nap!

TOD
Old 11-22-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Update on Nick. He was very unstable when admitted, has not one but two chest tubes. He's far from out of the woods, but vitals are stable enough to take him to the OR on Monday to see what they can do to help the lung.

If this goes well, he will come home and start radiation and chemo. Will continue to pray and hope for the best.

Watchung football with the cats. Rain will be moving in soon and last through some time Monday.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-23-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good evening Hen House!

Day 140!

Amy: Good to read Nick has some good word on his medical stuff!

Well I got caught up on that lost sleep! LOL I won't be sleeping this late tomorrow though! Mom just called and said she'll be here for supper tomorrow afternoon! YIKES! She has green beans and potato salad leftover from the two churches feeding the members along with their extended families at noon today! I suggested hamburger patties in mushroom gravy to go along with it and she said: "Sounds wonderful!" LOL She also has rolls to bring. Don't have to figure out what's for supper tomorrow! Huh? I also said: "And you don't want the leftovers in your fridge all next week?" She said: "Exactly!" LOL

My younger sister took the youngest Chi home with her yesterday. Mom said she couldn't hardly sleep last night w/o Maggie in the bed with her. I laughed and told her "I would have stretched way out on that bed and said: "Ahhhh I have the bed all to myself tonight and crashed!" It got her to laughing!

Mom said: "I've called everybody that needs to know I'll not be here all week. So if anyone is on the property that isn't supposed to be here? Then beat them up!" I said: "Good Lord MOM! Let next door neighbor know I might be there and don't shoot me!" Mom said: "Well NDN would do it too!"

Chicory: I took pictures of the new christmas stockings so I could post them for you to see! I told mom I was going to do that and she just beamed. She gave three to SD for the kids too!

The Razorbacks won the game yesterday! Another shut out! Jethro and all the guys in the living room were yelling and raising the roof. I was sitting in the rocker with baby asleep on my shoulder. She'd jump everytime someone yelled or clapped their hands. And of course baby was a BIG hit among the women there. As soon as we arrived in the driveway mom rushed outside, hugged each boy and then said: "I want to see the new baby" and headed for SD's car! LOL

I was on the back porch watching the boys playing in the backyard. They are going to be skinned and bruised from all the rocks and acorns out there. Boys will be boys though! SD walked out with baby. Baby was fussy! Then SD handed baby off to me and said "I'll feed her when I get back. I gotta go to the bathroom!" I'm thinking! Oh wonderful! I get her when she's starting to scream! LOL So I put her on my shoulder and tried to calm her. That didn't work. The boys were yelling and that made her scream even more. So I turned my back to the boys so baby could see them! She immediately quit screaming! By the time SD walked back outside? Baby was sound asleep! She was dumb founded! I just laughed and said: "Meamaw knows what to do!" SD said: "Then teach me the trick of that knowing!" ROFL

Being 140 days off the opiates makes life so much sweeter and more manageable too! The only pill I had to worry about taking yesterday was my stomach pill! Didn't want to deal with any indigestion after eating!

TOD
Old 11-24-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey everyone... it's been a while so I wanted to pop in and say hi. I'm now on day 100 and something, I've lost count other than to know that my first day clean was the 11th of July, so I'm more looking forward to that anniversary than anything. I think that day is going to be an emotional one for me.

Things are still a bit rough for me but definitely so much better than before. I still have trouble sleeping and get morning anxiety but most of the day I'm fine. I'm on top of my work for the first time in over a year and memory seems to be improving which are both good feelings.

I hope everyone is doing well. I do think about you all and pray that we are all staying strong. Much love peoples! I will check in again soon.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hi Lost!

My beginning date was 7 July! I knew we were close on the starting dates! I'm on 140 days, so you aren't far behind!

Good to see you checking in! Glad you are hanging in there with the clean time too!

TOD
Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

So good to see you here, Lostinhk!! Congrats to you and TOD on your clean time!

Just a quick update - Team Nick has some awesome prayers, and he was doing so well this morning they didn't need to do surgery. Ordered him out of bed to move around and help the lung drain.

Bev's sister is going to have a double mastectomy on Dec. 11. Bev is concerned, as sister and her family really like the pain pills...have been buying them off the street. She has some, takes them VERY rarely, is wondering whether to give her sister any?! I told her enabling the using behavior was a bad idea IMO.

She thought for a minute, then said "ya know what? You fell down a flight of metal stairs. Your first thought was "OMG, don't tell Bev and worry her". You didn't go to the ER, you didn't call me and ask me for a pain pill. You went back to work and have been taking ibuprofen.

She then decided not to enable her sister or her family

I had a nice long talk with bratkin, last night. BB is talking more, now that she decided she no longer liked her pacifier and is also potty training. They are planning on moving back down here after the first of the year. I refuse to get into any drama, but will be really glad to see them.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-25-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Nick is having surgery, after all, tomorrow. I think it's a good thing, they can get in there and get the infection under control.

We only work 1/2 day tomorrow and Friday!! I have enough OT to cover half the shift tomorrow (and then some) and we get paid for Thu. and a full shift on Fri. I think I like this

Love to all!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-25-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Sounds good to me ((Amy)).
Old 11-27-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Sorry ~ I went a AWOL for a few days.

140 days is awesome TOD! ♥♥ (1 month clean & sober for me today).

Love and hello to all in the HH,

V xx
Old 11-27-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good Morning Hen House!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Day 142!!!!

Amy: I'm sure Nick will be feeling much better after he gets his lungs cleaned out!

We aren't planning on going anywhere today! The two Chi's need our attention 24/7. Critter also barks his head off when he's left alone in the house! He woke me up four times today barking when Jethro went outside! ARGH!

We all gathered at mom's last Saturday to celebrate an early Thanksgiving anyway!

My daughter sent a short video of mom and my grand daughter standing at the sliding glass door watching it snow outside! Critter heard her talking and his little ears were just a twitching. Thankfully he didn't get upset and start whining for her. Shew! Mom will be coming home Friday and they'll see her then! Sissy feels like she's gained weight! OOOOPS LOL Mom can put her back on a diet when she gets them back home!

Maria will be really happy to see them leave! She's stuck back in the chicken bedroom or the back of the couch for now! Critter's the only one I'm worried about as far as bothering her though! Sissy can hardly walk and just lays on her soft robe mom brought with her for them. I took them outside at 3:00 AM and Sissy took off walking. She was halfway across the yard before she decided that was the spot to potty in. I was thinking: "Good grief girl! Something could snatch you being this far out in the yard!" In the dark too!

Critter is laying below my chair on a chair cushion with a blanket over the top of him. The heat bulb is also right above him so he's nice and warm out here. Jethro and I laugh when he goes out to pee pee! He hikes his leg so high he's toppled sideways before!

They'll both be happy to see mom walk in with us tomorrow afternoon! They were a little confused when she didn't come in with us Tuesday after we dropped her off at the airport! They've both settled in for the long haul and are behaving themselves!

TOD
Old 11-27-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Sorry ~ I went a AWOL for a few days.

140 days is awesome TOD! ♥♥ (1 month clean & sober for me today).

Love and hello to all in the HH,

V xx
Congrats on your clean days Venus!

Hope you're feeling better today! It's always hard breaking up with someone! But there are times it's for the best!

TOD
Old 11-27-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Sorry, 142 days...even better TOD.

And thank you.
I have a lot more going on than my break-up these past few days.
So yeah, not feeling that good.
But...this too shall pass.

Only way to do it is clean and sober.

Going to have an early night so I can get up and go to work tomorrow.

Love and goodnight,

V xx
Old 11-27-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Sorry, 142 days...even better TOD.

And thank you.
I have a lot more going on than my break-up these past few days.
So yeah, not feeling that good.
But...this too shall pass.

Only way to do it is clean and sober.

Going to have an early night so I can get up and go to work tomorrow.

Love and goodnight,

V xx
You are doing GREAT considering what all is going on in your life these days! Give yourself a pat on your shoulder from me!

I just got back in from taking the two little dogs out to do a potty run! I'm going to be heading to bed shortly myself! This added babysitting duty has kept me super busy! But it's really okay! I know mom is loving her vaca with the great grand kids and her grand daughter! My daughter! Daughter's poor hubby has a cruddy runny nose as well as a sore throat! I hope he feels better today!

Snuggle under your blankies and have good dreams!

TOD
Old 11-27-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-27-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Happy thanksgiving hen house!!
Old 11-27-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I came to SR about 12 years ago, broken and hurt by addiction in the lives of my son and (now) exH. I found the HenHouse and although I rarely post, I have stayed here and have felt at home. Since it's Thanksgiving, it seems a good time to resurface and let you all know how thankful I am for each and everyone of you.

When I first came here, I could not for the life of me understand this thing called addiction. I took it personally and cried and begged my loved ones to change. Why in the world would they keep doing these things that hurt them and me so badly? SR is where I learned (through the heartfelt sharing of the A's on this board) to understand a bit of what it is like on that side of the street. And other mom's like me made me feel like I was not "crazy" and I began to feel supported.

I learned so much here that I ended up becoming an addiction counselor. Ain't it funny how these things happen? So, on this day of Thanksgiving, I want to thank everyone that has shared a part of your journey with such honesty and bravery. You all have made my life so much richer. I hurt when you struggle and cheer with each victory. You won't see me post often, but know that you are all in my thoughts.

Love and hugs~40
Old 11-27-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

((40)) - It is SOOOOO good to see you!! A very Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

I see you reading, some times, and I know you are always here with us.

Let's not downplay the role YOU have had in the Hen House, along with other "loved ones" that we A's need to hear from.

I think it works so well because we get to hear both sides of the story, we learn and we grow.

Thank you for being here

Love, hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-27-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks, Amy. You have certainly been a huge influence on my life. After all these years, I really do feel like I know you. And the fact that you have lived on both sides of the road, so to speak? Wow, RESPECT, lady! I hope that the new job is all you've dreamed of. Does your home have a yellow kitchen? I think my earliest memory of you is that of you hoping for a yellow kitchen!