Notices

Na or aa

Old 11-13-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Na or aa

I'm giving the ole recovery game a serious go this time and know I need the fellowship of other addicts to help me survive. I've failed enough with my own grand plans so time to get with the program. Just wondering, does it matte if you go AA or NA? I mean I am an alcoholic have been for 20+ years but the good ole functioning one which meant I could get promoted, own businesses, **** up relationships take loads of drugs but only occasionally would some wise owls say I was alcoholic. Heroin was my real undoing as a person so I think I should go to NA, or was the ole booze, E, Coke lifestyle my undoing too? (Well yes but not like smack ****** me up) - some wise recovering addicts on here- can I canvass your thoughts on this matter?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why not try both? You certainly would be welcome in either.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm certainly eligible :-)
Good advice I will give both a whirl - lot more AA meetings than NA meetings available but if I had to share all my really ****** up stories of booze are from teen and 20s. Mid 30s I started using heroin a justification at the time was it slowed my boozing down. Idiot monkey brained fool that I am. I'm probably looking at it the wrong way as usual - I'll try both.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

A lot of people belong to both fellowships, those are not mutually exclusive
Old 11-13-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are many people in AA who are cross-addicted. You can share your stories or not, it's not really meant to be a place full of war stories, anyway. I think the highest use of AA is to share solutions. I think if you go to a few different locations/types of meetings, you'll get a sense of which feels right for you.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

all the different "anonymous" programs were set up to get "identification" from people who know how you feel now & know how you felt in addiction / alcoholism.

Example:

Overeaters anonymous vs alcoholics anonymous

"I drank 18 beers, half a bottle of scotch .... drove my car into a ditch & ended up losing my licence & my job ...... but a week later, after swearing that I was done with alcohol, I drank again ..... WTF ??"

I could say "Geez ... I know how that feels "

Some overeater guy is thinking "WTF ? ..... why can't you two guys just stop drinking ? .... sheeeesh"

But then he says

"I bought 3 pizzas, swearing I would only eat 4 slices, but I ended up eating all 3 pizzas, then I ate a litre of ice cream & a packet of tim tams"

Now I'm the one thinking "well I can eat 4 slices of pizza & be happy ..... why can't he ?"

So we are both perfect candidates for a program .... but we can't know how it feels, because we haven't experienced the others addiction.

So yeah .... you are a candidate for both, because you identify with both.

The only advice I'd give is ... my sponsor is a dual member, but he struggled to find any "program / steps / literature" based NA, in either Sydney or Melbourne.

But that was 10 years ago, in Sydney anyways, hopefully its changed a bit now.

But he has found plenty of good strong "program / steps / literature" based AA .... in both cities.

Good to hear you've decided to get some help RM

All the best with it mate
Old 11-13-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi red

I go to both.

Aa is more available, it's more about alcohol, but many meetings are open
To discussions about drugs too. Like was said above "the meetings become more about solutions" than about accountings of past horror stories. Generally there is more sobriety length in AA

NA is smaller and so less available. Members are a bit younger on average. The NA book is more modern than the AA big book and that's refreshing for me.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been a member of AA ever since I got sober, but I sure feel right at home (and highly qualified) when I periodically attend a NA meeting.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Red,

I'm a member of both. I personally find that I relate more closely to the stories I hear in NA although I usually find a clearer message of recovery from AA, so I can appreciate both for different reasons.

I think the most important thing to remember is that every meeting will have a totally different flavor, you might pop into an NA meeting in one place and have a crappy experience, but then go to another meeting in a different area, and find you connect and hear a really good strong message of recovery.

Some meetings I have walked out of chuckling to myself because they have been so bad, but others have moved me to tears. It's funny that way. Just a little tip that I found to be true, is that the morning meetings, tend to have a softer & more relaxed feel to them, which I personally like, I think it's bc people haven't had the day to build up their stress levels or something.

I've spent a lot of time in Sydney too mate, although my first and only recovery so far was done elsewhere, I would definitely do both the NA/AA and i can promise you, there are some bloody awesome people scattered throughout those rooms. You just gotta make yourself known.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I suggest GA (gym goers anonymous)
Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cheers gnarly appreciate it - I know I can't do it alone so gonna have to throw myself into it - shy though not on drugs - anyone who met me - salesman, loads of banter etc would think I was self assured (except insightful cats) - reality is I'm scared of a group of strangers without drink or drugs in me first - just gonna have to bite the bullet - I know now the desire to get clean is stronger than my silly shyness/fear of judgement. GA I will try :-)
Old 11-14-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Red, I went to my first NA meeting last week and found it really useful, everyone was really welcoming! I can't say anything for AA but from looking online in my local area, meetings are much more frequent.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cheers everyone, I know it not about war stories but I did get dragged to an NA meeting in Melbourne by friends 2 years ago and loved it. And the stories. The reason I asked about the talking stuff was the guy asked me if wanted to share I said no so I'm para about being asked to talk. I want to skulk at the back of the room like a school kid again at least at first.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Red, I'm the same mate, I get nervous just thinking about going to a meeting tonight, but it gets easier. I'll be sitting right down the back, sweating a bit too much and trying to escape my own self-obsession & focus on what's being said! Get to a meeting bro, it'll be the best thing you can do for yourself (now I just gotta take my own advice).
Old 11-14-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedManc7 View Post
I want to skulk at the back of the room like a school kid again at least at first.
I never DJ'ed sober, not once in 10 years.

I know how you feel.

I told my kids once .... "Dads going to one of his no drinking beer meetings and try and act like a grown up"

And I thought one of them might say "but Daddy, you are a grown up"

Nope...

One of em said "yeah, you need to do that Daddy"
Old 11-17-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Try both, some people prefer AA, and others prefer NA. Other people like, and do both.

Some people don't like either AA, or NA and just do online support groups like this one, SMART recovery/MM/HAMS, or another group.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Red, am so glad to hear you are doing so well.

So pleased you realised that all drugs had to go. If you don't mind me asking, what was it that made you decide?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I realised that one just leads to the other, that if in my mind I think going out and taking E's all night and be sociable the life and soul etc and kidding myself drugs can be fun and recreational then it's only a real small step then when I'm coming down to say to myself, I 'll get myself a wee puff to take the edge off it etc but I won't back it up (use next day) and kid myself by saying this will help me function today it's actually useful to use today it's practical- I'm taking the smart option. When in reality, it's anything but that. I've always been extreme in my behaviour, I'll push things to the limit, each and everytime, there's no stop button. I'm sick to bloody death of it and just know I need to be TOTALLY clean and in the company of like minded addicts who are committed to turning their lives around, I have bigger goals dreams and ambitions than being a drug addict & have the ability to pursue them and succeed. I'm letting myself down using, never mind the pain I've caused those close to me. It makes me sad, depressed, I feel like I have no control over myself, it's scary. I have to confront it head on and deal with it. I can't do that if I'm snorting coke on a Friday or dropping MDMA caps on a Saturday.

How are you anyway? Fighting the good fight?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How awesome red

Keep doing what your doing...especially the not using part.

Perhaps we are both on a track that will lead to lives without that gnawing itch in the brain that says "more"

Keep up the good work. Very happy for you!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm good, I had a slip a few weeks ago, literally did 4 lines one night, spent the whole of the next day being sick. Utterly ridiculous.

Really made me wise up that I simply cannot use. Not even a little bit. Not ever.

I knew that anyway, but it is just so black and white now. My body is telling me I have to stop.

I'm so pleased you're fighting for your life, and that you can see you are more than some powder in a bag. I know how you feel. I sometimes ask myself what my 16 year old self would say if they could see me snorting coke at 40. That really helps me stay strong