Notices

Pot, Oxy, and medical stuff

Old 07-12-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Old Timer

Pot, Oxy, and medical stuff

I'm in Washington State where pot is legal now.

Anyway, I'm on 40 mgs of Oxy for extreme pain and will be forever. I don't like Oxy---was never fond of long term opiate use back in the day, either.

Smoked dope in high school, but left it behind to drink. Never missed pot at all.

I talked to my doctor about smoking weed for pain. He hedged because he has a few fed contracts and couldn't speak too much about it. He did say "people use all sorts of things to control pain" and that's as far as he was willing to speak out of fear of the feds.

Now, the problem: is Oxy worse than pot? Would pot alleviate pain all day? Remember: I have been sober for 32 years and don't really remember pot.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Prince Loner

I smoked pot for a long time - it didn't really do anything for my pain - I just cared less, about everything.

I'm curious tho - why are your only two options oxy or pot?

Surely there must be other avenues to explore?

D
Old 07-12-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old Timer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Prince Loner

I smoked pot for a long time - it didn't really do anything for my pain - I just cared less, about everything.

I'm curious tho - why are your only two options oxy or pot?

Surely there must be other avenues to explore?

D
No.....I don't like to talk about health things....smells like old people.

Oxy doesn't affect my mood...maybe a little grumpy.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK, I don't know what that means, PL...

I have chronic pain too - it took me many years to find the right Dr who wouldn't medicate me out of existence and the right treatment that didn't endanger my recovery.

It's worth the effort I think

ps I moved your post from the Alcoholism forum - I think you'll get more germane responses here

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-12-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi PrinceLoner -
I am also a chronic pain patient that used (no abused) oxy. As it sounds like you already know, it just does not work for long term use. It's a never ending cycle as you will build a tolerance, it will no longer work on the pain, then you need to up the doses - and it never stops. Then you are in lethal territory. No good. Not sure what kind of pain you are experiences, but there are a lot of alternate treatments out there. I also have not found anything that worked as well as the pills in my past attempts (though they do not anymore) but I am continuing to look for anything new to try. I do have hope that I will finally find what works for me.

As far as pot, I have definitely used it in the past I actually had an ex that used to grow it - very potent and good strains, it was possibly the one thing other than playing drums he was good at. Anyway, he was a huge proponent of the use of medical marijuana and he found it helped with his anxiety and also pain.

Myself? Never. Even when he grew strains that were more geared towards pain than a high it did not work for me. It always actually made me focus on the pain even more. And then it made me paranoid and hungry. It's just not something I cared for. So that is my experience. I'm sure others feel differently, but can only let you know how it made me feel. I also do not miss it one bit.

I do hope you are able to find a healthy way to address your pain. Because acute pain meds just do not work for chronic pain, they really don't. They do at first, but then they just stop working. That fast. Sending best wishes your way
Old 07-12-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old Timer

The Oxy is working fine. I don't get high from it and stay focused rather well. At any rate, I wont have to be on it for too long at my age.

I was hoping pot was an alternative, but I know now that was the disease talking.

I bought some pot just to buy it from a retail store (it is history in the making), but I think I'll give it to some lucky lady or two.....
Old 07-13-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PrinceLoner View Post
The Oxy is working fine. I don't get high from it and stay focused rather well. At any rate, I wont have to be on it for too long at my age.

I was hoping pot was an alternative, but I know now that was the disease talking.

I bought some pot just to buy it from a retail store (it is history in the making), but I think I'll give it to some lucky lady or two.....
I have to say this...that Oxy is not a good option for long-term chronic pain due to the tolerance factor. You will have to keep upping your dose over time, even if you are not abusing it, so it isn't sustainable.

It's also not the best option for a recovering alcoholic, even though you say you don't currently abuse them. Opiates hit a lot of the same chemicals in the brain that alcohol does.

There are always other options to look into...
Old 07-13-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll always say pot is a better alterative to Opiates, but I'm just gonna leave it at that. I know this site has people who like/dislike/don't care about weed and I'm not going to argue with anyone about it. What you believe is what you believe, but I honestly think you can rationally say weed is less harmful then a powerful opiate like any oxy is. I don't think opiates are something a former alcoholic should be taking unless it's in a small amount for a very, very short period of time.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I made the mistake of having my last bit of hash last night to try and sleep and it made me feel very unmotivated this morning, and this is the time where we need as much motivation as we can get. My advice is that if it's not something you particularly like and know how to do in moderation, just stay clear of it.

All the best mate.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I'll always say pot is a better alterative to Opiates, but I'm just gonna leave it at that. I know this site has people who like/dislike/don't care about weed and I'm not going to argue with anyone about it. What you believe is what you believe, but I honestly think you can rationally say weed is less harmful then a powerful opiate like any oxy is. I don't think opiates are something a former alcoholic should be taking unless it's in a small amount for a very, very short period of time.
Like I said to the OP the idea that pot or opiates are his only choices is a false premise.

Both things are addictive. For those of us with an addictive propensity, you're rolling the dice on all this stuff.

Look, I know we've been here before BSF - your opinion is your opinion....but I still maintain saying one is better than the other is pretty much meaningless on a recovery board like this...

D
Old 08-23-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old Timer

I've been alcohol-free over 32 years. Nicotine-free almost 15 years.

How much pain am I in? If I didn't have pain meds, I wouldn't be able to use my hands or feet. If I didn't have pain meds, I would end it. It takes 50mgs a day to be totally pain free, but 30 to maintain. Do I like the feeling? No.

I'm also old and when it comes down to it, I have maybe 10 years of quality life with my POLST DNR snugly in place. I really don't want to spend the remainder of my life in pain or lying about not smoking dope or taking oxy to relieve it.

I'm going to try pot to see if it relieves my pain without turning me into a slobbering fool. One good thing about Oxy is that I don't get high--remember that I'm a drunk, so "high" to me is drunk--and I can totally function on Oxy.

If a AA member tries to tell me that I'm no longer sober because of pot-for-pain, it will have no meaning to me. Pot didn't make me hit bottom and I don't think pot could bring anyone that low. Besides, AA is a small part of my life and carries little weight when it comes to my pain.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pl I could totally function on oxy too! I think most people can. There is some kind of false idea out there that oxy makes you drunk like alcohol. The problem with oxy is what eyes and stride mentioned. The tolerance factor. The needing more and more to get the same result. For you it's pain relief. Another problem is the need to have it to be functional. Those are two reasons why oxy is not a good option for long term pain management.

To make a general statement that weed never made anyone low enough to hit rock bottom is also false. There are plenty of members here that could tell you weed brought them to their knees.

In the end, it's your decision....but I think it's rather inappropriate to come on a recovery board praising the merits of any drug. Like Dee mentioned there are tons of alternate methods of pain relief. My daughter is a chronic pain sufferer too. She chooses to use massage and physical therapy along with meditation/mind control techniques because she witnessed first hand just how oxy devastated her mother's life.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old Timer

I'm not retired yet---8 more years. I have to work and my job is fairly physical, so the issue is more pressing than I let on. Massage and physical therapy for pain is great for those who go home and lay on the couch. For me, that stuff lasts about 10 minutes.

I'm afraid of increasing the opiate dose to achieve the same medical result, thus the pot angle. If pot is less dangerous than opiates, then why not. Or if pot will let me take less opiates, that can't be a bad thing.

Pot addicts? Really? Sorry, but the last time I was around pot smokers was in high school a very long time ago. Besides, could it be worst than being on oxy for years? Alcoholism has ruled my life since the day I was born into that alkie family. Even as sober as I am, the disease has me terrified of it. So telling me that pot is as addicting and dangerous as alcohol is plain funny.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old Timer

That's not accurate, either.

The oxy isn't working anymore not because of tolerance issues, but because I'm getting worse. My arthritis is eating me up and it will continue its path until I'm totally crippled.

That is fact. My x-rays taken over 20 years prove it as do new areas of infection.

I hate meds. I hate increasing dosage on opiates to keep up with my never-ending and always increasing pain.

Pot is harmless compared to my choices which is more opiates and booze. Or death. Did you see the news about people committing suicide from opiates? It is not from the drugs, but from the prospect of living 20 more years as a ball of pain.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Like I said PL it's YOUR decision. You do not have to justify it too me. I just don't agree with your statement that MJ is harmless. I have seen more than one person go down (ruined their life) because of it. This is a recovery board....so it's important to keep that in mind. I feel we should respect all members and their addictions....so with that in mind we really shouldn't be glorifying any drug or using period.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Agree clean. What might have brought me to my knees (oxycodone) might not bring PL but that doesn't mean it can't happen? Same goes for any drug and pot. For me pot makes me paranoid, panic attacks, hungry, feel more pain cause I'm focused on it like eyes said..again, drugs effect people differently but you shouldn't make a joke out of it? I've read some stories on here where weed ruined a persons life...it's a brain altering chemical so it makes sense and since we're all made differently, you never know how someone will respond. IMO weed makes people very unmotivated, lazy and to put it bluntly stupid. I feel stupid when I smoke weed and completely out of control, I hate the feeling and don't touch the stuff. I do know that better, newer drugs do exist these days that are not tolerance building and addictive like Oxy..do you see a pain management facility or a rheumatologist? I'm kinda surprised the rheumatologist is prescribing that without trying other drugs first or maybe you have?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Old Timer

I cooked some cannabutter today, but tossed it out. I really am protective of my sobriety, so if my doctor prescribes the weed, I'll go for it. Until that time, I'll stick to the oxy.

There's a new oxy out now that I might ask him about called Zohydro™ ER. ER= extended release which might be better for me.

Being an alkie sucks. Being old sucks. Being you sucks....I didn't read your posts because this is all about me and yawl are dummy-heads.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

PL sounds like the pot you remember is some big fat 1970's Bad Company joints.