Notices

Surviving detox w/2kids

Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Surviving detox w/2kids

Hi, everyone i'am new to this. I have often read these posts but never wrote on one. For awhile now I have been contemplating quitting oxycodone, but never do. Now I have and I'm on my second day. I want one so bad I cannot stand it, I love the energy it gives me, I can clean, take care of my kids and do everything I need to do no problem. Now I'm just lazy and irritable. Which I feel as though I cant be bc I have a 5 month old to take care of and a four year old when he get home from school. I have always had an addiction problem which started with alcohol I couldn't sleep at night unless I had it, but I kicked that habit when finding out I was pregnant with my first child it was easy then bc it was a must bc I was pregnant. I started using pain med after he was born when they gave it to me for the delivery pain. I started with hydros then quit for awhile then start with oxycodone and have been doing it for 3 yrs it wasnt everyday until the past year and it has been 30-60 mg a day. I just need to know can I quit and how Long should this take. I'm sneezing, hot and cold and body aches. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Lulu!

I have been exactly where you are at so many times. Detox with kids is rough, extremely rough. You are on day 2, hang in there. It always peaked on day 3 for me, and then got slowly better from there. Just don't go back, eventually, you will have to start this process over again. No time will ever be the 'right time' and you will keep putting it off and putting it off.

Do you have someone that can help you with the kids? Family or friends that can help and maybe you can tell them you have the flu and need to rest? I have been in the middle of w/d's with my son and I always tried to do things that kept him busy, but didn't require a lot of effort from me. I took him to McDonalds to play - he gets to play with the other kids, and I get to sit there and do nothing. Maybe take them to some play places like that, to burn off energy while you can sit and watch.

I know exactly how you feel. It isn't fun and the only thing you can think about is having one more pill. But what happens when that pill wears off? Where do you get more? when does the guilt and anxiety from using get to be too much? Believe me, you can survive this. You DON'T have to be super mom for your kids right now. Just being there is enough. The house DOESN'T have to be clean at this moment, it can wait. Make your kids PB&J for dinner, don't worry about the big fancy dinners at this time.

You will make it through this! Keep posting and looking for support, we are here for you!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If u stay on the path of quitting, your gonna have to deal with that for a while. It sucks. I'm father and I know it sucks. Suddenly everything irritates you. Kids screaming and playing and you feel like u can't get out of bed. Work, entertain the kids, homework, fix this fix that. It's not easy, and any deviation from ur path will derail you. I took sudafed for about 2weeks straight bc the ephedrine nuetralized some of the withdrawals, but then I found out sudafed is addictive too. Very addictive.
When it comes down to it you are either going to face it, get sick, try to hide it and try to outlast it or you aren't. I remember saying to myself "be a man, get over it, have a life worth living."
I am going to fight it. I wish us both the best.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can someone help you out for a few days?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Lulu)) - Welcome to SR! I don't have personal experience with opiate withdrawal (my DOC was crack), but I've read a lot of posts that said it's like having a really bad case of the flu for about a week. Some of the symptoms, like insomnia, may last longer.

Thing is, this can be the LAST time you ever go through this. You and your family deserve it. It's not easy, but it's definitely worth it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-30-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do it. I am also a mother, and recovering pill addict. I can tell you from my personal experience that doing it alone and having to take care of kids is going to be super super tough, you can do it, but I would not recommend it. Support is key. Someone to just take the kids for a few days, or to come to your home to help. I tried it by myself and was not successful, however looking back now I think staying busy is better than laying in Bed all day. Hang in there