Notices

Withdrawals for an addict?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals for an addict?

Hi!

I am a sober alcoholic addict (4+ yrs) who recently had a much needed surgery to resolve chronic pain issues (that I had not been treating with pain killers). I was prescribed hydrocodone for post op and have been open and honest with my sponsor, friends and family about the medication. My husband keeps it for me and I check in with my sponsor.
Three weeks post op and I am no longer in need of the pain killers (typical for my surgery). Other than the first three days where I was taking 1-2 every 4-6hrs, The week following I took one a day (5/500) and since then I have been taking only a half in the morning (because that is the worst time for the pain).
I have been taking way less than prescribed and was excited to wake up feeling like I didn't need them to make it through the day.
But I now feel like I am having some serious withdrawal symptoms!! How is this possible with the small dose that I was on? Is it because I am an addict?
I woke up with aches, slight nausea and some cramping and that has turned into chills, severe nausea, headache, diarrhea, and body (especially legs). I know it could be something like a flu and my immune system is shot but this really seems to coincidental to not be withdrawals.
Is this normal? Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi achy

Welcome!

I really think that's a question for your Dr - if you feel in pain, concerned, or unwell in any way, I think that's always the best bet.

I hope you feel better soon
D
Old 04-07-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gah. Yeah, you are right. So funny how I forget that person - you know, the medical professional Still, until tomorrow, I would be interested to hear what people think.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me and from what I've seen any dosage used daily for more than 2 weeks seems to result in some physical withdrawal symptoms...the good news is at that low a doseage and over that short a time I would think it would be VERY minimal and VERY short lived...imho