Notices

Codeine withdrawal

Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codeine withdrawal

Hi everyone

I have been readind through this forum the last couple of days and have found some really great information that is helping me stop.

I have been taking codeine for 8 years now it all started with getting it from my doctor to treat migrane headaches that I have always suffered from. However over the last 2 years I have been chasing the all to well known high.
Started by increasing the dose to 4 x 30mg and it has slowly increased to 8 in the morning and 8 at night the doctor give me 64 every two weeks so as the 64 would quickly run out I would be buying nurofen plus taking 16 in the morning and 16 in the afternoon.

I have tried to stop a few times but I always seem to be able to talk myself into buying a box any excuse to buy them and that's all it took.

I have decided that I really want to stop taking them I have not went to get my prescription for 3 weeks so removing that temption altogether. I have been thinking about telling my doctor that I don't want him to prescribe them to me anymore. But did not want anything to be put on my medical record.

I have been clean from saterday the last dose I had was at 8.00am gmt the saterday night was fine but on Sunday about lunch time I started to get crippling headaches and had to lie down all day In a dark room I did not eat or drink all day until later I had a lot of water but that did not help at all finaly got some sleep but woke up with a headache as well.

I had to go to work today as well to work a 12 hour shift not good I have managed to controll the headaches with aspirin however have felt really bad all day could not even face picking up my tools never mind working. I had to leave early as I just could not bare it anymore. My back neck and legs are so sore I can hardly move. I just have now drive at all to do anything and I keep thinking that if I take the pills it will all go away.

I do know that's now true over the long term I really want to beat this but I feel that I have a dark cloud following me around every where I go. I don't want to take them ever again but there is something in my head trying to talk me into buying another box I'm so angry at my self for letting it get to this stage I just wish the doctor had never give them to me.

Well its 60 hours since I last took them I will update how I'm feeling again tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Luweez

I was taking 400mg codeine per day. I found the first few days were pretty bad but helped with lots of ginger ale, crackers and the couch. I probably took at least 4 baths per day and using Epsom salts helped with the leg cramps. The longest lasting symptoms were leg cramps and insomnia.
Good decision and keep it up
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well had a horrible night there I lay awake with cold sweats until 3.30am I then had to get up for half an hour as my legs and arms where twitching really bad. After that I got 3 hours sleep.

I woke feeling very tired however had to be in work for 8.00 am so had to drag myself up and out. It been 76 hours now without taking them and I do not feel just as bad as I did yesterday but I still have cold sweets have have not gone away I'm wraped up like big jumper and coat on and I'm still cold while others are running about in t-shirts. I do still feel very lazy and cant be bothered doing much at all.
I do also still have a very sore body in general as well and all the flu like symptoms.

The worst thing is there is something telling me to buy a box I know I can't do this but mentley having to fight it all day. I really don't want to give in.
Thanks for listening it really helps me to talk about this on here.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JFD

AD - Just remember that all the pain you feel is the poison leaving your body. Every second, minute, hour and day that goes by you are that much closer to your freedom.
I know it must be very hard having these pills readily available but if you can hang in there a few more days (maybe less) you will feel like a whole new person. The one you were meant to be.

Best of luck and remember we are here for you.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What is Codeine? I am not really a user before but only helped a few friends of mine emotionally in coping with their conditions and probably recovering well.

Is codeine more dangerous that cocaine?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

@Anthony Glad to see you smartened up about your use. Though using aspirin all day is kind of bad for you too. I found that Ibuprofen helped me in the beginning with my headaches and migraines and slowly over the 3 weeks I needed less and less now my headaches are mild and very short and usually pass on their own, or a small bit of Ibuprofen again. The opiates themselves, especially when I was taking T3's and T4's, caused me huge headaches - but I always took more trying to combat it. Even when I was on Suboxone I had horrible migraines that subsided only after I finally quit. 24 days today and I feel great! Hope you're staying strong and pushing through. Good luck.

@Dave Codeine and Cocaine have nothing in common. Codeine is an opiate painkiller and Cocaine is an amphetamine stimulant. They're both dangerous in their own horrible ways.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JFD

DaveV, Codiene is like all the rest (oxy, hydro etc.) an opiate. It's one of the weaker of the evils out there but, it will put its hooks in you if you abuse it just like the others. Then, your in for one of the biggest and most important fights you'll ever have. One for your own life! Because, whether or not any of these evil drugs literally kills you, on them, your dead inside. Over three months ago I decided I wanted to live and have never been happier. I mean really happy not doped into thinking I'm happy.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support guys :rotfxko
Well it's day five now and I have to say tiredness and the lack of get up and go seems to have gone a fair bit. Iam still having a lot of trouble getting to sleep think I might have had 10 hours in 3 nights. And still get very bad cold sweets throughout the day and night and have lost a lot of my appatite just in the last 2 days.

I still keep thinking about getting them I know I don't want them but a part of me still wants me to buy some. I am really having to fight this hard.

Well I have one more day of work then off for 4 so I hope that that will help me as well I will keep posted

Thanks guys
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JFD

AD, you'll be fine after a nice four day weekend. Congrats and keep fighting. I remember day five all to well and although your addictive brain is telling you to score, DON'T. You'll only regret it and by your own description you're already feeling better. Do you want to have to do it again?

Eyes on the prize.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi everyone I have bad news I cracked today and brought some n+ I was telling my self not to but seemed to have no control as soon as I took them I relised what I had done no part of me wanted them I even tried to make myself sick to get them out but it did not work. I have been feeling great for the last to days as well I was doing really well I can't believe I have done this.

I really hope I'm not going to suffer for another week trying to get it out of my system. What do u think will I go through the full withdrawals again or will it be not as bad.
I feel like I have let everyone down on here who was giving me support and most of all my self.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JFD

Stop now and you may not have to start at day one again. Though, in my experience you have without doubt set yourself back a few days. Don't be to hard on yourself though as many relapse and get right back up and continue forward toward recovery.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

@Anthonyd You didn't let anyone down, though I know what you mean - I sort of feel the need to stick to my word on here as well, though no one can really know the difference. The thing is you need to do it for YOU. You can't keep saying "Well, I just didn't seem to have control"....everytime you say it to yourself the more you buy into it until you actually go do it. If you slipped, you slipped. But it's done. You feel guilty and ashamed, well now you know that it's not worth it. If you go through a day or two of slight symptoms then deal with it, and get back on track....doesn't matter if you go through full withdrawal or not, it's worth it for the mistake you made, if you really want to be clean. 28 days clean for me, I know it can be done. **I still have slight cravings at points during the day...just need to keep yourself busy and ignore it as something that "you've already beaten"...it's like someone trying to get your attention only because you're ignoring them...shrug it off and get busy doing something. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Anthony

My H was addicted to N+ so I feel your pain man. It's up there with alcohol as bein the pain in the @ss drug you can just get hold of waaaay to easily. He kicked them with scripts from the GP - slow release that didn't get him high but did deal with the withdrawal - after the ibuprofen gave him a stomach ulcer.

It's a bugger, cos you think you can just take once, but the buzz is so good... yeah, I took them A LOT while he was still using - uppers and beer is my thing.

All I can tell you is, once you're off them for a while, you REALLY start to feel good. It takes time for everything to reset, but it will. Right now you're like any addict wanting one last buzz, and h*ll, every one of us has ben there (I'm day 20, booze. ask me if I want a beer right now. on a friday night? are your kidding me?? )

So you used again. Tough. It's okay. Chalk it up to experience and try not to use any more today. Then try again tomorrow.

We'll all be here. No-one here feels like you let them down.

Keep posting hun, I'll be looking for you

Still
xxx
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hey Antony dont be so hard on yourself one little slip is nothing, jeeze you done alot of the cold turkey while still going to work. last week i made a choice to to taper of my use of nurofen plus wasnt looking forward to it but then i was told i wasnt working this week and i decided to just cold turkey it. I was taking about 72 every 2nd day and if i had the money it was every day. I have the support of my wife which is great. What im saying bud is that there is no way i could do the ct while still working so well done on that front. By the way thats me on day 4 now without and seeing as its 3 in the morning the insomnia is a bugger though I know I can get through this and so acn you take care mate and keep the faith.