Notices

Permanent damage from Adderall

Old 11-16-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Permanent damage from Adderall

In January I will have 2 years clean from Adderall.

I am still suffering from finger tics, and the chills. I rub my thumb and ring finger together. My doctor put me on propanolol (heart medication that is supposed to help tics). It works; but not 100% My doctor said they could go away tomorrow, next week, next month or NEVER.

For over two years I have also suffered from the chills. It could be 85 degrees outside and I will be wearing a sweatshirt. I have had every test in the book; including a thyroid scan and everything comes back normal. My pdoc said the chills are probably due to damage to my hypothalmus. The hypothalmus is like the bodies thermostat. Adderall can cause this.

I am really upset about all of this. It's a bit embarassing going for a job interview rubbing my fingers together constantly.

Unfortunately I have to take responsibility for all of this. I am the one that took the adderall; and I have to suffer the consequences of my actions.

I am just wondering if there are any stimulant recoverers that suffer from any of the problems I mentioned above?

?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

error
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Liz,

Ironically, Adderall is sometime used to treat the kind of neuropathy-type symptoms you describe.

I just wondered if you had ever explored acupuncture for this?

FT
Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

You're not alone. I consistently tap my fingers on my legs, counters, desks, arm of chairs, etc, if my hands are not kept busy. Who knows if it'll go away...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never explored acupuncture. Maybe I will research it.

I just cant believe how much damage these stimulants can do to the body.

I want these tics to go away so bad. I wouldn't be surprised if I have them the rest of my life.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, coming back to reality from hitting the MDPV pretty hard. My binges always ended in parkinsonian symptoms so severe I could not manipulate objects to put the drugs in my body. Probably a good thing when you think about it.

I have always led a charmed life, though, and after a month clean suffer no noticable permanent nervous system damage...

Do nerves regenerate? If so, maybe all will be well with you in a couple more years . I hope so....

edit: O, I forgot, I have probably damaged myself with speed--when I try to flick my cig ash with my right hand, sometimes i have to try two or three times to make my thumb do that motion (what I imagine stuttering feel like). I first noticed this 10 years or so, and still happens today
Old 11-19-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it has more to do with dopamine than nerves. Other brain chemicals as well.

Tentative- I'm glad you don't have these tics. They are really awful. I hate them.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Liz,

I didnt know adderall did that, I use to take them. I just thought it was me and i still have the rubbing and alot of hand issues and leg twitching
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

After 5 years of heavy abuse I stopped cold turkey today. I constantly play with my ring .. Hopefully I will stop :/
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi LizRox

Long time no see, and congrats on the 2 years
Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I first got clean 1/2010; had a one month relapse in June 2010 and have been clean ever since. So it is two years minus that one short relapse.

My doctor put me on Zoloft, and my chills are gone. I am so happy. Now its time to take care of the finger tics.

Thanks for the congrats; bval.. If I can do it anyone can.