Notices

Can I Taper off of Oxycodone?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I also sat my 17 year old down and told him what I was going to go through before I started my detox and explained to him why and what the pain pills did to my body. I wanted to make sure that I drove home the idea that drug were not cool and they had their side effects. He understood and was supportive when I was having bad withdrawal days. I think it is the best thing you can do is to keep your family, and especially your children, informed about drugs!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Mad at it , Try Soup and also buy lots of Fruit Bananas , Apples , Oranges that stuff all tasted good to me
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Day 10 yooooowhoooo!!!
I think my body produced some endorphines today....praise jesus
i had a great day!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Something non "narcotic" is Pregabalin (Lyrica). Bear in mind that it is still a schedule IV controlled substance in the US and is addictive, though not near to the extent of opioids. It is a rather novel gabapentenoid and is probably the biggest breakthrough for managing chronic pain since the advent of morphine itself. I take it with Oxycontin and it helps a lot more than just Oxycontin alone would, and I mean ALOT more. The two together do more for pain than either alone could ever do.

If nothing else works after you try everything, you should probably see a doctor and get back on the narcotic pain killers. There's a difference between taking them for a legitimate reason (severe pain) and taking them for fun. They exist so people don't have to live with debilitating pain that ruins their quality of life.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks Vinter..... But I will manage without them. I know I can.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Progress: Okay now Im on day 7 without Oxycontin and day 5 without percocet. Whew! I feel better! My head is a lot clearer not 100% yet. But my vision is no longer as blurry! My back still hurts often but not as much. I have a burning feeling throughout my entire back. I only take bayer aspirin when I cant take the pain anymore and that helps a lot. I am starting to eat a little more, but haven't gained a full appetite back. I got rid of the 10 mg Oxycontin on Sunday. I still have a few of the 5 mgs and some percacets left. But I think I will get rid of them soon, too! Don't want them around me. I am so happy to be able to look into the faces of my children and know that it is because of them that I am able to break away from this before it takes me away from them forever!!! I just wish that this pain in my back would go away. I even tried sleeping on the floor last night. It helped a little. I think what helps most is going to work and getting my mind off of the pain. I also talked to a friend that I know is taking up to 7 40 mgs of Oxycontin per day. She doesn't know that I know about her problem. I just confessed what I was going through and how I stepped down and off of the meds. I also told her that they caused more pain and suffering than if I hadn't started taking them at all. I told her that if she needed to talk about her problem I would be here to listen and to help. She admitted to her problem and thanked me for the information I gave her. I am still praying for her, every one of you and myself! God Bless!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

KingKong - I am so happy for you!!! Congratulations!! It must feel great to be pain and pill free!!!!! Whooooo!Hooooo!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thank you! I will try anything! I do eat fruit now. Just can't wait to eat food that will stick to my bones and help me gain some weight back!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I am now at day 18 no opiates AT ALL!!!!!. I feel really great! My energy is almost back at 100%. I take bayer aspirin for the pain in my back and also aleve only when necessary. I have to take it one day at a time. It is good to sleep at night without waking up in a pool of sweat. It is even better waking in the morning without feeling like I have been hit by a fleet of tractor trailers all night! My short term memory is returning. And so is my appetite. I have found that I have had to retrain myself to do the smallest things. Things that most people do with no effort at all, I have to really build up to it. But I know that too will get better with time. Thank God for everyone of you! I will keep praying with you. And please keep praying for me! God Bless!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hey Mad, I read your post and I understand you situation with trying to wean yourself off of pills. It is rough but it is a good idea to cut down a bit at a time, instead of all at once. All at once will put your body into shock. Did you ever hear of suboxone? Go to your doctor, and tell him that your addicted to opiates, and that you want to get off of the drugs. Tell him you heard of suboxone and want to know more about it. Suboxone blocks withdrawal symptons from opiates. You might have to take it for a while. Then when the opiates are out of your system you stop taking suboxone. It worked really well for me. 10 yrs of opiates. 2 days of suboxone. And now almost 4 yrs of sobriety. You might just experience a little bit of anxiety when your done with suboxone. There is no simple easy way to stop using opiates. But take it from experience, a couple of days of discomfort is better than a lifetime of misery. Sounds like your children deserve a clean and sober mom. Try some other medicines for your back. I wish you luck. God Bless and we are all routing for you. Angel
Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi Angelic,
Thank you for your post. I found it interesting and insightful. I also have a question....
Do you really think that given the stage of recovery I am in (30 days clean from Oxycontin, 27 days clean of percacet) that I should go to the doctor and ask for Suboxone? I still have major back aches and my appetite is sparatic (sp?), but coming back. I heard that suboxone is addictive as well and I don't want to have to take anything if I don't have to. I get cravings when the back pain is bad and energy is low and my kids dad is difficult to deal with, but I just remember what I have just been through tapering and c/t ing and I take two aspirin and keep it pushing.... Just wondering....
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MadAtIt View Post
Hi Angelic,
Thank you for your post. I found it interesting and insightful. I also have a question....
Do you really think that given the stage of recovery I am in (30 days clean from Oxycontin, 27 days clean of percacet) that I should go to the doctor and ask for Suboxone? I still have major back aches and my appetite is sparatic (sp?), but coming back. I heard that suboxone is addictive as well and I don't want to have to take anything if I don't have to. I get cravings when the back pain is bad and energy is low and my kids dad is difficult to deal with, but I just remember what I have just been through tapering and c/t ing and I take two aspirin and keep it pushing.... Just wondering....
Mad I found your story helpful to me and I too am on percacets,do not take Suboxones if you been this long. Im down to 2 perks a day and still having a hard time getting off them with all the body akes and pains but ill get there soon enough.,
Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Some French tart....

Kauf is right. If you've been 30 and 27 days clean, whatever you do, don't fall back on Subuxone or Subutex. Subuxone, correctly prescribed, is to enable someone to come off narcotics, lessening the withdrawal symptons of going cold turkey. You definately CAN get addicted to Subuxone and withdrawing from that can be hell!! Some even say that it is worse than coming off oxy's.
'Advil' can be a good, non-narcotic pain reliever and is stronger than aspirin.
Can you see a docter to prescribe you non-narcotic pain relief?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hey - it's me again MadAtIt,
Thank you for the insight on suboxone and subutex! I am still clean. Haven't taken any pills in roughly 90 days give or take. I realize that I still have back pain. But I am managing and feel great!!! I swim 3 days a week and take motrin or aleve for pain. My life is in turmoil and the tension doesn't help my back at all but not even that will make me use the pills again. I am praying that one day I will wake up and not feel any pain at all. I know it will happen because every day it gets better. I didn't have that feeling when I was taking the pills. For anyone who is wondering if it will get better after they detox... I can truly say that it does. Remember that this race is not won by the swift but by the one who is determined to endure to the end! We will make it if we remember to keep praying for each other and encouraging one another!!! God Bless !!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I haven't read all the replies but I use Methocarbonol for muscle pain. My doctor (who is very aware of my addiction) felt it was a good alternative for me.

I am so glad that you have gotten this far.

I take Aleve in the prescription strength when nothing else works and occasionally I take 800mg of Motrin (I use 4 of the 200mg).

Have you considered an antidepressant for pain? Once you have cleaned all the opiods out of your system talk to your doctor.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

MadAtIt, CONGRATULATIONS on making it to 90 days (give or take)!! You started this thread before I became a part of this group, so today I've been going through your story from the beginning. As in every long thread, I was keeping my fingers crossed hoping for good news coming at the end...and you did it! You were back with great news. Thank you for sharing this experience. My very best to you, and lots and lots of strength in the time to come.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

hello madatit i am reading your post with heart.i have started my slow taper also.last night i felt better by not taking my nightly hydro.you have encouraged me as well this taper is better also.i realize i must stay on track with no slips! thanks agian for your post as well as others!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey It's MadAtIt with an update. I have been down with the flu for about 3 weeks. OMG! What pain and agony!!! I am happy to say that through it all I have still not taken any opiates and I feel GREAT! I don't even have cravings. Maybe that's because of the pain that I went through detoxing and the fear of it all!!! My back pain is there but I can manage it. When I can't take it anymore, I take 2 Motrin and keep it pushing. I found that light weight training has done wonders for my back.

Thanks to all of you here at sober recovery, my children have their mother back!!! I have my life back and I feel better than ever before!!! I would never have seen today without you!!!

For anyone wondering if there is light at the end of the tunnel please know that it is the brightest light of all when you make it through. My life has a whole new meaning now.

I am sorry that I am not on line as often as I would like to be but I have so much energy now that the days happily fly by... I will try to do better - I will never forget what a blessing this site has been to me in my time of trouble.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi Whtrash, I know you can do it! Just take it one day at a time. Be determined to take your life back no matter what you have to do!!! Listen to inspirational music, pre-occupy yourself with something positive, past the time doing something you like to do. I think I made it because I was angry at the addiction. I viewed it as my enemy, something that I NEEDED TO LIVE WITHOUT! You can do it - I KNOW U CAN!!!