Notices

Bad reaction from suboxone

Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Bad reaction from suboxone

First of all thanks to everyone for the comments and support that I got from my first post last week. You guys really gave me hope and made me feel better. I have been browsing through the forums but have been too sick and down to post. I am excited about my journey into recovery because I know my life will be so much better.

I had my appointment with the doctor yesterday and had my first dose of suboxone. It was day 3 of withdrawals and I was in pretty bad shape. Within 15 minutes of taking the first 4 mg. I was already feeling better. He scored me again on the withdrawal scale and gave me another 4 mg. after about 30 min. and then I left the office about 30 min. after that feeling great! I actually felt normal, no cravings, hopeful, relieved, etc. The doctor was so nice too. He is a recovering addict himself.

I went to the suboxone group meeting shortly after my appt. Then during group I started itching like crazy like you do on morphine but I figured no biggie, I would just take some benadryl when I got home. Then after group I looked at myself and I had begun to break out in hives all over the place. I have never had a allergic reaction before in my life! I was up until 3 am putting creams, benadryl, and cornstarch on the hives. I also had gone to the store and bought zyrtec and claritin because I still felt no relief after taking 50 mg. of benadryl.

I tried to call the doc first thing this am but he is tied up until noon. I am hoping and praying that the reaction is from the naloxone, not the buprinorphine and that I can try subutex.

I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't take this stuff. I took 4 mg. this am after loading up on antihistamines and I'll wait and see. If I get the hives again hopefully I won't have this reaction with the subutex. I have never had allergies or any type of drug reaction before and I have put ALOT of drugs in this poor body of mine!

Otherwise, I am feeling good. I must say that itching and hives are way better than withdrawal. I just hope there is a solution to this and that I won't have to do this cold turkey.

Has anyone else had this problem with suboxone causing a reaction or know of anyone that has?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well it has been a little over 3 hrs. since I took the antihistamines and the suboxone and so far no hives! A little itchy but yesterday it was only 2 hours before I started to break out so I am keeping my fingers crossed that taking the benadryl and zyrtec before the suboxone will do the trick. I talked to the doc and he said that the first dose he gave me at the clinic was subutex. I told him about what I did this am and he said to let him know if I get the hives again. Otherwise I have to call him tomorrow and let him know how the suboxone is working.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope it works out for you. I've never heard anyone talk about hives with it before. I didn't get any. Hopefully it stops for you.
KJ
Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I vomited for three days after one dose. It was my only dose. lol
Old 08-06-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry about the bad reaction! Never heard of that happening before, but everyone is different. Please keep us posted -- good to know what's going on in case it comes up again and folks like me can pass the info along to help others.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I'm having hive like welts from taking suboxone an am tierd of having these mosquito like welts appear on my arms. I know it's not anything else I was fine before I started taking this medicine I Meen as far as the itching. Other then that I can't truly say suboxone has worked wonders for me. Smh I just don't know at this point it's overwhelming how is everything for you now?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's too bad! How Long have you been on the sub? What does the doctor say?
Old 09-29-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It could be the naloxone. Try letting your strip dissolve for 10-20 minutes then spitting out the remnants. Naloxone does not absorb in the tongue like buprinorphine. So naloxone is what's left in the saliva and of no therapeutic value. Some people are sensitive to the naloxone. Personally I don't swallow the naloxone and I do fine on sub.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ask your doc if Subutex is an option if that method woks, it's void of the Naloxone.