Notices

insurance and suboxone questions

Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

insurance and suboxone questions

is there a reason not to use your insurance to obtain a script of sub??
also just started these today..is it possible just to use them for the withdrawl and not use them for longer...i was hoping that i could use it for two weeks than just stop..is that possible?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi tired7, and welcome. I have no experience with your first question as I've never had to deal with insurance issues. Your other questions are seeking medical advice and we can't give that - we can only share our own experience. Any questions you have regarding the length you take it or for what reason should be directed to your doctor. This is a good place for support as you go through this process. Welcome again!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

TIRED- Im hoping somebody answers your question as well because my AH is going to be going on subutex on thursday but can only be on it for a week. I think him stopping CT would be dangerous for him. It causes high blood pressure which he already has and I just think all in all its better to have a dr. help you through it yanno? How has the sub worked for you so far? How much do you take a day??? What were you taking before? Sorry for all the questions. Good luck and Ill keep you in my prayers.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A good place to look and ask questions is www.naabt.org.
Its an advocacy for sub treatment site, forums and tons of educational info etc..
I have been a member there as well as here for over a year now and highly recommend both.
Sub treatment time varies by the Dr and the patient..it completely depends on too much to even guess per person..I would stay away from having any clear set time in mind without having read how sub works and having compiled a list of questions for your Dr and getting answers..
There are also some ppl who are very against sub treatment, for whatever their reasons, do not let them dissuade you or scare you. I have not at all had a negative experience on sub, and know plenty of ppl who have also been successful after an appropriate amount of treatment for them.
Remember that each person needs to be treated for addiction issues individually, what works best for many people is a bit of this that and tiny bits of 10 other things..so not very scientific..but it certainly wasnt a one size fits all that got us into an addiction either..
good luck to both of you
Old 06-06-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Basically it's up to you how long you want to be on this medication. It does help ease the pains of detox, I look at them as growing pains because one way or another we need to face them. However, with sub we can do it on our level and step by step thus relieving some of the "BAM" pain and suffering. I do think sub is a good thing but use with extreme caution and realize that these are addicting as well. You will have to get off of them when you are ready and it will be challenging but not nearly as challenging as directly from your doc. I was on them for about 3 months or so and it helped, it's a transition period. Good Luck. Remember to keep your guard up.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My xabf uses sub, and did not claim it on insurance for a while, and then it went through one day. I would think it would depend on your policy. As far as how long on it, i agree that each person has a different situation`and has to do what is best for them to function and have a normal life and live ... whatever it takes.
He has been on it long term.....and should be getting ready to slowly taper.
I have heard good and bad stories, some say it was easier than the dumb pills, and others claim the opposite. Bottom line, you are all different. Who cares if it gives you a life again?
There are many mixed feelings on the topic, but I feel it was the best decision for him. It was this or death. You pick.