Notices

Accidental relapse

Old 02-03-2007, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

Accidental relapse

Ok let me explain this. I went to the hospital and was told I have walking pneumonia. I was givin an antibiotic and some cough syrup called Hycodan. I had never herd of it but I asumed it was a strong generic cough syrup. I took it and I started to feel better, really much better. I kept wanting to take it and then I finally decided to look it up on the internet and I found out why I wanted it so much, it has hydrocodone in it and that was always my doc. I poured the rest of it out (there wasn't much left ) so now I gotta start over. A word of advice just incase there are people as slow as me if you get sick and get cough syrup and are an addict look up the information on the syrup before you take it.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i don't think that's a relapse, brian, you just didn't know about the med
good on pouring it out
Old 02-03-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey kid

No reason to think that way. Miki (Misty) above is correct. Don't beat yourself, no reason to "start all over" I shouldn't think.

Give yourself every break Brian. Be kind. Reward that within you which is on a healthy track and desires to stay on it. You didn't know and acted VERY decisively when you did. No reason at all to start counting all over again.

Ten
Old 02-04-2007, 12:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

that one doesn't count. its was a med and completely accidental. You did the right thing. Early in recover I once was feeling poorly, stumbled into the bath, took a swig of Nyquil- immediately realized what I had in my mouth and spit it out. LOL whew that was a close one.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Take it like a bear...

Originally Posted by Brian1978 View Post
so now I gotta start over.

For me, the key to whether something is a "relapse" (a defeating word I despise) is what I choose to do once fully informed.
For me, this is a journey with many paths and side roads. The more I stay on the center path, the happier I am. When I choose a detour, I'm unhappy, ill and not a very productive member of society.
The key word, for me, is "choose". It appears, from what you wrote, that once you were aware of the medication's properties, you discarded it.
Your program of recovery may define that as a relapse. For me, it would have been one hell of a good choice that I'd be proud of.
All my best,
Da Bear
Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

You didn't relapse. Matter of fact, I think your actions speak of mindful recovery.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 02-04-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I feel much better about it now and I know what to do in the future. You all are right it wasn't a relapse so I am gonna continue doing what I have been doing and thats staying clean and sober. GOD bless you all.