Notices

For those on Suboxone OR with a SO on Suboxone

Old 01-28-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For those on Suboxone OR with a SO on Suboxone

This forum is pretty quiet and seems to be a lot of questions on Suboxone lately.

This is not medical advice. Just information straight from naabt.org (The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine Treatment). I think it is important to know about any drug you are taking (even if it is Heroin or Meth for that matter) and its effects on your mind and body.

If you want to read up a bit more on Suboxone here is a great document (yes a bit boring, but I think anyone on Suboxone should read it). Personally my experience has been getting down to 2 mg's is not all that bad. It is those last 2 mg's that are the toughest (so their reduction schedule from 2 to 0 seems a bit too optimistic). I got down to like .5 mgs, but anyway. Same goes for Methadone (AGAIN MY EXPERIENCE) The last 15 mgs were the hardest for me.

http://www.naabt.org/documents/Subox...sing_guide.pdf

A few highlights direct from naabt:

It is believed that most patients can be stabilized on a dose between 12 mg and 16 mg; however, due to patient variability, each patient should be dosed to clinical effect. There is no maximum recommended dose; however, doses greater than 32 mg are not generally needed.

Dose reduction/medical withdrawal following maintenance
ƒ Significant withdrawal symptoms are unusual during gradual Suboxone®
(buprenorphine HCl/naloxone HCI dihydrate) or Subutex®
(buprenorphine HCl) sublingual tablets dose taper.
ƒ
The rate of dose reduction should be determined in collaboration with the patient.

DOSE REDUCTION RATES
Daily buprenorphine maintenance dose Dose reduction rate
Above 16 mg of buprenorphine 4 mg every 1-2 weeks
8-16 mg of buprenorphine 2-4 mg every 1-2 weeks
Below 8 mg of buprenorphine 2 mg every 1-2 weeks
ƒ
Prepare the patient for possible feelings of less energy, lower appetite, irritability, difficulty sleeping,etc.

It is the duty of the physician to prepare patients for these effects in order to maximize their chance of a successful treatment outcome. However, these effects are transitory and should only last a few days.

Realistic goals for reduction should be established.
ƒGenerally, the more gradual the reduction, the better the outcome.
ƒYour patients should expect to experience some withdrawal discomfort once they reach low doses or stop taking Suboxone® or Subutex® completely.

Slow down or stop the dose reductions if:
- Your patient starts to reuse opioids
- Your patient’s physical, psychological, or social well-being begins to deteriorate

It is important to warn patients of the dangers of misusing benzodiazepines when taking Suboxone® or Subutex®. Overdose deaths have occurred when buprenorphine and benzodiazepines were concomitantly abused via the parenteral route.*†

Be Well Everyone!!!