Notices

GF switching between Methadone & Suboxone

Old 10-07-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

GF switching between Methadone & Suboxone

Hey all,

I am writing trying to find some answers on what is going on with my GF. She used to abuse prescription pain killers and has been on Suboxone for about 4 years now. She takes 2 strips per day. For the last 6 months or so she always runs out early. Is it possible to abuse Suboxone? And how? I heard it blocks the opiate from creating a high? Lately she has been supplementing her suboxone by getting Methadone from her friend when she runs out. I'm sure there is a huge danger is swapping between the two. Tell me what I need to look for to determine what is going on here. She works hard all week, like a rockstar, at her job but seemly can't stay awake on the weekends.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What you've described is just an example of typical addict behavior. If X mg is good then XX mg must be better. Then throw in another narcotic when the Suboxone script runs out. That is not the way "harm reduction" Suboxone treatment is supposed to work and indicates to me that your girlfriend is really not committed to its purpose.
It might be that the Suboxone dosing needs to be adjusted for a while. This is exactly the kind of issue that should be discussed honestly with the physician prescribing the drug. Including the problem about the week-end symptoms.
Supplementing Suboxone treatment with methadone is a terrible idea including the potential for accidental overdose.
She needs to talk to her doctor before something bad happens,
Old 10-07-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

She's 'over' medicating. She's trying to reach that high again and in her addict mind it's okay bc well it's suboxone and methadone and not pain pills. Is she being prescribed the subs? Does she have a counselor and/or go to meetings?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to take subs all week, sell my weekend doses to get high, get high all weekend then back on subs on Monday. I would run out of subs easily that way cause I would sell them for drugs. Just my experience.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear Helpplease,
That's not how it's suppose to work...can you not do that anymore? Didn't that mess with you physically and mentally regarding a w/d?
Others have more experience than I but didn't your receptors flood on the weekends?
Not my experience..but an observation
Old 10-08-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a ceiling effect with Subs', do some more research from creditable sources online. People process, metabolize things 'somewhat' different but there is general guidelines. In the end she is just still stuck in a cycle.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eh. She is just not comfortabLE with the fact that sub simply makes you feel normal. It will not make you euphoric, or buzzed. She just isn't comfortable with baseline. Also if she is screwing with methadone. Then goes back on sub, that could be half the problem. She may be feeling some withdrawal effects when transitioning from methadone back to suboxone. You have to be off methadone competely for AT LEAST 36 hours before using sun or you could very will set off precipitated withdrawal. Maybe she is feeling some of that which convinces her addict brain that sub isn't working and thus needs more which in turn perpetuates the cycle.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helppleaselost View Post
I used to take subs all week, sell my weekend doses to get high, get high all weekend then back on subs on Monday. I would run out of subs easily that way cause I would sell them for drugs. Just my experience.
Good point. Subs are a popular commodity on the street. Lots of people sell them to finance other things. Plenty of people on SR take them without an rx. They have to be getting them somewhere.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also, if you search the web, you will find that sub is used by plenty of folks to get high. People snort it, IV it, ect. Of course, they could all be lying but I can't imagine why. I snorted it one time in my life and got blistered (I had never heard of it but a guy had it and I was in wds).
Old 10-08-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Unfortunately Subs CAN and WILL get you high if abused / used inappropriately. The high can be quite similar to other opiates (unfortunately I say this from VAST experience). I think often addicts like to say that subs could never ever get them high because they don't want to admit it to themselves. They enjoy the buzz they are getting and feel a bit guilty so don't want to admit to that fact because they could be taken away. That being said using them as directed and designed can be a great tool for recovery. If used for a longer period of time at a reasonable dose you do just feel normal. Same with Methadone, but again if an addict has ulterior motives and they are looking for a high they will find it.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Unfortunately Subs CAN and WILL get you high if abused / used inappropriately. The high can be quite similar to other opiates (unfortunately I say this from VAST experience). I think often addicts like to say that subs could never ever get them high because they don't want to admit it to themselves. They enjoy the buzz they are getting and feel a bit guilty so don't want to admit to that fact because they could be taken away. That being said using them as directed and designed can be a great tool for recovery. If used for a longer period of time at a reasonable dose you do just feel normal. Same with Methadone, but again if an addict has ulterior motives and they are looking for a high they will find it.
Probably a good thing I don't know how to make subs work In that way for me or I might try. I know that if you take just the right amount, which varies from person to person, that the buprinorphine you take will metabolize in to norbuprinorphine which is a full agonist, but at that sweet spot amount you are not so overloaded on buprinorphine that it will overwhelm the small amount of norbupe your body metabolized. At that "sweet spot" amount you can feel a slight opiate effect. But at the amounts we are prescribed we are far from that sweet spot. I believe this is the "less is more" people talk about. I know there is a natural supplement that will help metabolize more bupe, but won't get in to that since that is most certainly not why we are here.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dear Marcus,
Yep, you nailed this one, Subs are a tool to be used to feel "normal" as you work on your recovery.
It's prescribed to be used appropriately, if and when it becomes abused...well, perhaps she's not ready to respect and desire her sobriety.
TF
Old 10-09-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Before I got addicted to heroin id use suboxone recreationally, if you only have a casual habit then you'll get wackoed off it. Now I can take 5 or 6 in a day and not feel different., crazy.