Notices

Day 1 subs

Old 09-16-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Day 1 subs

I am trying to quit pills for the millionth time only have like 10 subs left I moved to vegas so I don't have a doctor anymore to get me any should I get a doctor here? Or should I try to go with what I have and kick this thing? The environment I am it is hard to quit have a bf that will basically do anything for me let me know what you think
God bless
Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been in your shoes many a time, In the end you hold the answer to the question. In my case I used subs' to taper over 25-30 days and I only had I think 13. I used the same taper program Dr.'s have given me in the past. It ended up just being my true desire to get and stay clean. If I would have went back to my Dr. to get a re-fill I would still be on them, and that isn't for ME. I felt a lot better the first 30 days but there was another level after really getting everything out of my system, but everyone is different so I hope the best for you.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Thanks so much what was the taper that he gave you? If you remember please post good to know I'm not alone about it!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Frankly unless you are 100% sick and tired of life on pills you need to find a doctor. While those 10 will buy you time, they won't be the end all. You have to have dealt with the underlying issues that drove you to pills to begin with. In my opinion you need to find a doctor to insure that you have the resources you need to work on the reasons for your addiction.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One day at a time

I appreciate it mk although that will be harder I do have insurance that covers it so I should prob do it anyways just hate it bc they are so judgmental about it my last doctor was a saint
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by youngconfused View Post
I appreciate it mk although that will be harder I do have insurance that covers it so I should prob do it anyways just hate it bc they are so judgmental about it my last doctor was a saint
I won't disagree with this. My sub doc is quite laid back. In fact when I started this process I was given the script for sub and instructions to induce at home. No need to get to an office in the misery of withdrawal. Sounding more and more like this kind of doctor is very hard to find.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The last time I used a 'Reg' Dr. for a sub script it was so ridiculous that this time I went to a methadone clinic that also prescribed Suboxone, it was much easier.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Good to know and yes it's so hard to find a doctor that doesn't judge
Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How long were you on subs before? Also, what daily dose are you switching from?

I think you could taper pretty easily with 10. It's just a matter of if you're ready, but that is a hard thing to gauge. I don't know how long it would take you to get an appt. to get a new subs script, but if it's relatively fast you might start the taper and just see how you feel. Or if it takes a while, set it up now, but don't emotionally commit to getting more.

Subs can be great, but I have found that they are hard to get off of after long use, I always gave in and switched to something else after very valiant attempts to stop. The one time I did a short taper (about 3 weeks) it worked like a charm to taper and get off.

So I say it's worth a shot to break the cycle, but have a back up plan in place if it doesn't work out. I wish you the best, I know how hard this is.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One day at a time

We'll I've "been" on subs off and on for I think 1 year and a half I always go back and forth between subs and tabs I am so glad to here that it worked for you to taper off with subs also I was taking like 4 mg of subs per day so yeah was it really bad coming off of subs? I'm worried about that but if it's less than coming off of tabs I think I'll be okay thanks for the help as insight I like to talk to people who are going through the same thing not a lot of people get it!
Old 09-17-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i think if your already concerned with just taking what you have and being done with it then you need to find a dr. and keep taking it and taper off slowly. if your not ready then your just not ready and only you know deep down if you can handle it or not.... you said your moving to vegas?... i bet there are some doctors that would be understanding...changing where you live and everything that comes with that plus withdrawing off of the suboxone may be too much to handle at once.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me the withdrawal was seemingly endless insomnia and anxiety. I mean, I had been down to .5 mgs for weeks and it was still brutal. No runs, cramps, sneezes, it was mainly emotional type stuff. Oh but the insomnia was ridiculous. But, I had been on it straight for almost a year.

I switched to methadone from subs, I was so desperate.

Then after almost two years on methadone I tapered very quickly (feetox) from 60 mgs. to 10 mgs., did the 3 days CT and jumped back. to subs with what I had stashed when I started the methadone.

I started at 8 mgs. and if I remember right, it held me fine. I then went down 2 mgs at a time every 2 or 3 days, to 2mgs, stayed there maybe 4 days, went to 1 for a week and .5 for the last couple of days. and ta-da, I was done. Some trazadone for sleep and that was it.

That is totally not medical advice, just my experience.

I was clean for 6 months easy, then walked right into a stupid oxy habit again. Now I've been off it all for a good 3 months now, probably more, feeling ok. Feeling like the lesson has been LEARNED lol.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Congrats on 3 months that's a major accomplishment! I hope I can do that! Did you get very irritable when you switch to subs ? I find myself extremely irritable when I switch from oxy or tabs to subs? Also I hope I don't have to get on methadone from what I hear it's very strong? Or I don't know it may be the same strength as subaxone I hope I can taper off to some degree a little anxiety to me is way less worth than diarreah chills and all that crap good to know
Old 09-17-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i have never used methadone to get off drugs, but i did use it when i was abusing drugs, and yes it is really really strong.i use to get so high it would make me vomit. suboxone gives me no euphoric feeling what so ever which is exactly what i need... now if i could only taper all the way off the suboxone it would be great.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Yup that's the plan to get off subaxone and be free of everything I'm so sick of thinking about when I need to take things drives me crazy you can taper off subaxone so I heard